Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 10:00 AM   #121
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapas View Post
Hello.
My Kindle is a 10th gen ( KT4 ) and with the firmware 5.12.1 (3552150044) is it possible to jailbreak it?
Not at this time. Maybe never.

Please read the first post in this thread.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #122
vurt
Enthusiast
vurt began at the beginning.

Device: KV
I'm so frigging confused. I think my Kindle Voyage was on 5.9*. It had already been jailbroken and had the screen saver hack.

I unknowingly updated to 5.12*, lost the screensaver hack, thought I'd reenable it with KUAL, KUAL doesn't launch. Came onto the forums to figure things out.

Now I'm understanding that I can only jailbreak on factory image v5.5 of Kindle Voyage, so I tried that, only to further realize since I'm on 5.12* now, I can no longer go back to 5.5 that the jailbreak requires — is that right? I'm fvcked?
vurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #123
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@vurt: Reinstall the latest hotfix, update MRPI, switch to KUAL coplate.

If, and only if, the hotfix install fails, you're screwed.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #124
vurt
Enthusiast
vurt began at the beginning.

Device: KV
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@vurt: Reinstall the latest hotfix, update MRPI, switch to KUAL coplate.

If, and only if, the hotfix install fails, you're screwed.
Wow thank you so much, that worked! I needed KUAL coplate, not KUAL (though I don't understand why). I had KUAL previously.

So since my Voyage had already been jailbroken, it should survive future firmware updates, I just have to go through all of this again?

Sorry I had to ask, I do this so sporadically, every time there's an update, I'm relearning everything again plus factoring the newer processes that's changed or updated since the last time I did it.
vurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #125
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
So block OTA updates, take control of your life.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2019, 11:16 AM   #126
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Isn't it already too late at this point (5.12)?
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM   #127
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
There is only airplane mode to keep from updating further at this point. Not convenient, but workable as long as side-loading is still supported.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #128
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Has that been settled?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #129
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Has that been settled?
I had 5.11.* on a non-JB PW2 and it's on 5.12.1 now. I remember putting the update.bin.tmp.partial folder on that after it auto-updated from 5.10 to 5.11 but I'm not 100% certain.

Anyway, created the blocking folder again to confirm.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 02:40 PM   #130
fallenfuzz
fallenfuzz began at the beginning.

Device: KPW2
Just an update.
My old good jailbroken PW2 jumped to 5.12.1, installed latest hotfix, MRPI, KUAL 2.7, koreader - all good!
fallenfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:47 PM   #131
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Updated the first post to reiterate that FW 5.12.x is really evil. For sure.

The bridge has been updated. It might help if it's up to date before the FW upgrade. Or it might not. It definitely will have some side-effects, though, so the tweak only applies to FW 5.12.x.

You really shouldn't be running FW 5.12.x in the first place anyway, so, meh.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:59 AM   #132
LjCK
LjCK began at the beginning.

Device: PW4, KT4
Just to confirm on the current JB situation

Hi,

Being a newbie, just want to double check because you are mentioning 5.12.x, probably only for devices that already had JB done before upgrade...

I have a KT4W 5.11.2 (factory image purchased in the US, turned on airplane mode) and
PW4 that upgraded to 5.12.1, before I applied any JB.

Is my option only to.... wait? How about soldering serial... Would that mean the whole deal (together with U-boot) to go back, at least to 5.11.0 for the KT4? Is it possible?

I did try to read everything before the post, but would like your confirmation... great stuff happening on MR, really a cool place.

Thanks!
LjCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #133
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@LjCK:

The only factory image we have for the KT4 is 5.11.0, so, I'm not quite sure what you're saying.

Serial access can be used for jailbreaking. For people familiar with how Kindles work, it can also be used to facilitate manual downgrades (and I wouldn't recommend that people try to do that unless they *really* understand what they're doing).

The caveat being that in both cases, we only know how to do it on devices using the older partition layout.
I'm fairly sure that makes both the PW4 and the KT4 at best a question mark on that front. Which means you can probably wait all you want, but that won't really help ;p.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-13-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #134
LjCK
LjCK began at the beginning.

Device: PW4, KT4
@NiLuJe:
I understand the confusion, my bad... I mean that the KT4 2019, shipped with the 5.11.2 version. Unfortunately, I don't have the 5.11.2 image. Otherwise, you'd already get a PM with more details

I think that I have enough experience to do the operations through serial.
I even purchased the KT4 to use it as a development board with 6'' Eink Carta 1.2, touch, front light, i.MX6 SLL (integrated EPDC), additional WiFi and Bluetooth, battery and battery management, etc...
Alternatives were way too expensive and Eink doesn't even sell through their webshop to individuals.

Basically, you get all this for less that $90 USD (buy 2, 10% off... $81), had a friend bring it from the US to Europe.
So I already disassembled it, and found mobile read developer's corner

Then I though, for the first simple things that I want to do, why not use the jailbrake and reuse what the amazon team already developed, and what you guys did. Anyway, I cannot get the waveforms, and it's a big question mark about the driver itself...
So, now, I want to try NiLuJe/FBInk... but I still cannot

Don't have much time next few days, but upcoming weekend and next week... should have enough time to play around (serial, downgrade, boot from serial, etc...)

My goal is to setup Yocto from scratch and use the KT4 as development environment, but don't plan to start there.
The PW4 is something I use for reading, love to read, and update the devices as they come out....

You guys really impressed me, some really great stuff to find here!
LjCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #135
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@LjCK: FWIW, a 5.11.2 image wouldn't help, they patched it .

You'll have to dig up the serial threads specific to those newer devices to catch up to where people usually got stuck.