Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Shutting down / Rebooting Kindle Linux

Guys I was just wondering...
Ok, I have got the usbnet hack and I am now on the command line.
Cool. But what happens now if I issue a "reboot" command? Or a "shutdown -h now" command?
Will the kindle restart correctly?
From the user layer I know the PW2 can be rebooted. I then assume that the system is able to come up from zero power to functional state, therefore I expect a "reboot" to work.
But I don't know what happens if I tell it to shutdown. Will the power button act as a "start" button even when the system is powered off?
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I usually use "poweroff" or "reboot", but yeah.

Fun fact -- this is pretty much the only way to actually shutdown the Kindle entirely.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #3
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I usually use "poweroff" or "reboot", but yeah.

Fun fact -- this is pretty much the only way to actually shutdown the Kindle entirely.
Yes, that's the reason I was wondering about it in the first hand.
The second reason was I am curious.
So if you issue the "poweroff" command - maybe via Kterm - the kindle shuts down gracefully and stays off until you press the power button?
Old 12-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #4
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Yes, exactly.
The power consumption is (close to) zero then.
It's a good habit to power off Kindle you don't use to protect the battery (Li-Ion and Li-Pol batteries suffer from staying in discharged state for a long time).
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:32 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Yes, that's the reason I was wondering about it in the first hand.
The second reason was I am curious.
So if you issue the "poweroff" command - maybe via Kterm - the kindle shuts down gracefully and stays off until you press the power button?
Yes, whatever it does, it will do gracefully.
It has a prioritized, dependency aware, system initialization that also gets triggered for shutting down the system.

"shutdown -h ..." is the most general of the *nix commands -
The others mentioned are lower level hooks into it.

You can even go into the /sys tree, in the sub-tree about power management and force the specific end condition.

But yeah, it will not self-destruct.
To do that, you have to un-plug the battery while the indexer is still running.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Went for it. It works!
Too bad before powering off it changes the screen to the "Hang on, Kindle is starting" which is actually not true.
But it stays off, it doesn't react to the magnet too, that's what matters the most.
Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It has been that way forever.
There isn't any "Shutdown Completed" screen, so what you are seeing is the: "expected behavior".
I.E: You got it right - it is as dead now as it gets without disconnecting the battery.

Last edited by knc1; 12-05-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:12 AM   #8
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It has been that way forever.
There isn't any "Shutdown Completed" screen, so what you are seeing is the: "expected behavior".
I.E: You got it right - it is as dead now as it gets without disconnecting the battery.
Yes I wasn't even asking. I was sure it was meant to be like that, because in Amazon's intentions each time the PW2 powers off it is because it is rebooting, so they managed to put that "restart" screen in the power-off scripts or even in the kernel (I assume the kernel has been compiled ad hoc).
By the way, which init method does the Kindle Linux use? Sys 5, BSD, or what?
Old 12-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

The series 5.x firmware is using upstart.
Models prior to that used SYS-V.

I think you have it, that screen is the default screen when upstart doesn't have anything else to do (either before start-up or after shut-down).

Since the Kindle (normally) **never** shuts down - they probably don't see any reason to change it.

For other readers:
The Kindle's main processor does a "suspend to RAM" and then the RAM is powered down into a "keep alive" mode.
Another note: The above is not strictly related to when it shows a screen saver, it can and sometimes will, suspend between page turns.

Last edited by knc1; 12-05-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 12-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #10
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
knc1: I did the poweroff command a while ago and I had to plug it in to an external power source to power it back on, the power button wasn't working.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
knc1: I did the poweroff command a while ago and I had to plug it in to an external power source to power it back on, the power button wasn't working.
I have noticed the same on some models, prior to the firmware series 5.x devices.