Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Jakobkraft
Jakobkraft began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any way to force read window to always stay on top in Mac?

I have 'Afloat' on my mac which is a program that keeps windows on top when I click on anything in the background. But Calibre doesn't work with it -- but given how customizable and how many options it has, I'm thinking there is a built in option somewhere in Calibre that enables the read window to stay on top? Sometimes when I'm reading an ebook, I'll click on something on my desktop but I don't want my ebook window to disappear, I want it to stay put.
Any help would be greatly appreciated -- thanks in advance!
Jakobkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Click the fullscreen button or press F11
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Jakobkraft

That's not what I really meant. If I have fullscreen, then I'm obviously not able to see anything else. What I want it to be able to keep reduced size screen in the front, while clicking on things in the background. In Windows there are countless ways to do this, and in MAC, there is Afloat which works beautifully with programs whose titlebar has a 'Window' option.
But Calibre has no 'Window' option in the title bar, I guess because of its cross-platform support. So is there another way t get the read window of Calibre to stay on top in windowed mode? Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
Jakobkraft

Here is a link to a video showing what I mean in more detail:

http://youtu.be/SQu1xae7K6w

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-15-2013 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Corrected link
Old 09-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Jakobkraft

So I guess no way to make ebook viewer (not in fullscreen) stay on top of other windows?
Advert
Old 09-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
None that I know of on OS X. Positioning non-fullscreen windows is the OSes job, not the applications.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
MelBr
Zealot
MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MelBr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Aura One
VLC, and most other video players, have that feature.
MelBr is offline   Reply With Quote