Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How many eReaders do you own?
1-5 85 68.55%
5-10 30 24.19%
10+ 9 7.26%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #46
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
At shopgoodwill, I recently bought two kobo wireless "non touch" ereaders and a Sony PRS 350. Also, currently bidding on a kobo touch ereader. Since I've bought each for about ten dollars and goodwill purchases help the less fortuante this has helped me to rationalize making these purchases.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 10:45 AM   #47
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Reading eBooks, and collecting eReaders are really my only (major) hobbies, and since other people spend money collecting all sorts of things, even things like cars, I don't feel so bad about spending money on eReaders which are comparatively much less expensive. Especially since most of the time I buy them used. I, myself, have purchased from shopgoodwill as well, which is a big plus as the proceeds go to helping those in need, as Ricky D'Angelo said.

It's interesting for me to see how others view these things, and the reasons why they feel the way they do.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #48
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
I have a question about ADE for those of you with multiple ereaders - how do you manage activation limits? I think I'm on my last activation which would be an issue if I bought another ereader. I know about Calibre and Alf but I need ADE to read borrowed library books when they aren't available for kindle. Thanks for any enlightenment.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 12:36 PM   #49
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandalynn View Post
I have a question about ADE for those of you with multiple ereaders - how do you manage activation limits? I think I'm on my last activation which would be an issue if I bought another ereader. I know about Calibre and Alf but I need ADE to read borrowed library books when they aren't available for kindle. Thanks for any enlightenment.
I use my readers in order to have separate "library types". Back when I was using the Sony PRS-350, one was used for regular fiction (activated with ADE) and the other solely for fanfiction (not activated).

It's the same scenario with my Kindles. I've got two that are registered (and that's only because the PW manga was a recent purchase) and the other one is used solely for sideloaded content.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #50
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
You can contact Adobe and request more activations which is a PITA. Since factory resetting a Kobo ereader removed the activation, my workaround was to copy the activation.xml file from the .adobe-digital-editions directory to my computer and restore it to the .adobe-digital-editions after any actions that would remove it or when I purchase a new Kobo ereader which minimizes my need for more activations. When I first got a Tolino Epos, I copied the activation.xml from my Kobo backup to it's .adobe-digital-editions directory and it showed up in ADE as authorized.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 01:23 PM   #51
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
A collector in the sense of I don't really throw them away when I retire them for something new. But I don't have an emotional attachment to the things the way I do with cameras.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:42 PM   #52
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I have a limit of 4 activations on my library downloads. I limit them to computer, one ereader and one Fire (for audiobooks), so it's not been a problem. My ebooks from the library all have to be sideloaded unless I use the Fire and they provide an app for that. Library doesn't have Overdrive any more, hence the change.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #53
wandalynn
Addict
wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wandalynn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You can contact Adobe and request more activations which is a PITA. Since factory resetting a Kobo ereader removed the activation, my workaround was to copy the activation.xml file from the .adobe-digital-editions directory to my computer and restore it to the .adobe-digital-editions after any actions that would remove it or when I purchase a new Kobo ereader which minimizes my need for more activations. When I first got a Tolino Epos, I copied the activation.xml from my Kobo backup to it's .adobe-digital-editions directory and it showed up in ADE as authorized.
I remember you posted about copying the activation file in another thread. If I ever get a new ereader I'll try this. I did try to contact Adobe but since Google now has ADE the only way to communicate is through the forums which don't seem to be monitored. If worst comes to worst I guess I could just create a new ADE account and start over.

Last edited by wandalynn; 05-05-2018 at 05:51 PM.
wandalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #54
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
A collector in the sense of I don't really throw them away when I retire them for something new. But I don't have an emotional attachment to the things the way I do with cameras.
Same here. 3 e-readers (PRS-650, PW3 and Kobo Glo HD) but... 4 film cameras and 10 digital. Once I bond with a camera I can't seem to let it go even if I am not using it much.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:58 AM   #55
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I love gadgets. I will buy something new when that new offers something that my old device doesn't. So, I went from a BeBook Mini To a Sony PRS650 (larger screen, and much thinner), to a Kobo H2O (again larger screen, waterproof, and backlight) to a Kobo One (again larger screen and natural light). I can't see any improvements made to my current reader, unless it's a colour screen, which I doubt we'll ever see, so, I don't think I'll buy a new reader soon, unless the One dies on me.

I won't count my tablets, as I never bought those for ereading.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:20 PM   #56
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Somewhere in my basement is an Exakta VX-1000 which was the first SLR I purchased in my first year at university. It was a rather odd camera in many ways, however at times with later SLRs, I missed the ability to feed film from one cassette to another and the film knife. Sadly I sold my Nikon S3 when I was made an offer I couldn't resist. At one time, when I was in Rochester, I got to see a Nikon SPX in Kodak's museum. Sadly this through the lens metering rangefinder was never sold to the public when Nikon decided to concentrate on the Nikon F SLR instead.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:30 AM   #57
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Same here. 3 e-readers (PRS-650, PW3 and Kobo Glo HD) but... 4 film cameras and 10 digital. Once I bond with a camera I can't seem to let it go even if I am not using it much.
I'm kind of the same way, in that I rarely throw things away, but I don't have a particularly emotional attachment to my cameras.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #58
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I've gone through a lot, but I don't keep the ones I don't use, for the most part. Right now I have these:

Kindle Touch (2011?) - don't actually use
Kobo Touch - son uses
Kobo Glo HD - daughter uses
Kobo Mini - me
Kobo Aura HD 1 - me
Kindle Voyage - me

I have 3 tablets also but I don't normally read on them. Unless it's for a Scribd book. Then I will use my Nexus 7.2 or my Fire HD 6 or 8.

I do miss some of my previous ereaders - like my Kobo Aura 1 (broke it) and my Jetbook (long since sold). Those were nice, so small and light.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:24 PM   #59
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I have 6 with eInk, and then a few tablets kicking around I use for comics. Tempted to grab a Nook Plus right now.

Sony PRS-505
PRS-300
Nook STR Glowlight x2
Kindle 3
Nolim Reader
Sharp SL-5500 x2
Nokia N800
Samsung Tab 4

Last edited by Hellmark; 05-10-2018 at 04:27 PM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:05 AM   #60
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
When the jetBook Lite and Aluratek Libre were being phased out, I bought a couple as backups. I've never taken them out of the box.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote