Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-20-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
hairyHarry
hairyHarry began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
New to Kobo with 1 important question

I decided on & purchased a Kobo Libra last week and really like it.

I started by looking online at a lot of eReaders and read many website eReader reviews. I finally decided & purchased the Libra based on solid technical information here on mobileread.com including how to customize a Kobo and load epub books onto one, but oddly enough, the one question & answer I couldn't find was maybe the most obvious one...

...QUESTION: between the Libra, Forma, Paperwhite and Oasis, with their seemingly minor viewing differences in the # of front-lights and screen types (i.e., screens with a flush surface versus slightly recessed surface and also the light frequencies of each) which one simply has the best screen for reading?

I mean, all 4 of these models get great reviews for excellent readability... in fact, that's about all that's said about all of them in terms of readability--they're excellent to read with!

Yes, there are one or two rare, minor complaints about Libra's having a slightly bluish hue as opposed to the supposedly more white background on the Amazon models (but not necessarily, since the Libra & Forma user can counter the blue hue by blending in some of either model's additional orange lighting--besides the blue hue is slight in the first place).

Yet, the one thing I question looking at the Libra's screen, is that it only looks like text on real paper when, for example, reading with it in a lit room while facing its screen somewhat at an angle... while looking at the screen head-on it looks kind of more like backlit paper--this is, of course, after trying various brightness settings ...is this normal???

So can anyone tell me is the Libra's (or Forma's) text as sharp and black and it's background as evenly white and paper-like as the Paperwhite or Oasis models?

Many thanks,
hairyHarry
hairyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:14 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have both the Oasis and the Libra. Neither looks like real paper and neither has a completely white background, unless you crank the light all the way up (and then they look even more like electronic devices instead of paper, of course). As to the darkness and sharpness of text, it depends on the font and the boldness level used. IMO there's not much difference between them in that regard.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
hairyHarry

Thanks for yout reply....

Thanks Sirtel:

...if I can follow-up with two specific Libra-Oasis-related questions; in terms of indoor reading, under an overhead light or a nearby lamp, which would you say appears more readable, Libra or Oasis?...

...and, if you have a preference between the two readers, what is the reason(s) for that?

Thanks again,
Harry
Old 10-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyHarry View Post
Thanks Sirtel:

...if I can follow-up with two specific Libra-Oasis-related questions; in terms of indoor reading, under an overhead light or a nearby lamp, which would you say appears more readable, Libra or Oasis?...

...and, if you have a preference between the two readers, what is the reason(s) for that?

Thanks again,
Harry
With the front lights off, the screens will look the same as the Libra and Oasis both use the same screen. That said, the Libra is the better choice because of the better firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:02 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyHarry View Post
Thanks Sirtel:

Both are equally readable.
Quote:

Thanks again,
Harry
I don't really have a preference. Both of them are very, very good. The Libra is a bit more comfortable to hold, because the Oasis has a metal back that's pretty slippery. OTOH the Oasis has a bit more even frontlight. Software-wise the Libra has more customization options and better integration with Calibre, the Oasis has the option to sync non-Amazon books with other devices and the global search (i.e. you can search for a word or a phrase across your whole library, not only inside one book). Really, it would be very difficult to choose between them. Luckily for me I don't have to, but can just switch between them.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:10 PM   #6
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Both are equally readable.

I don't really have a preference. Both of them are very, very good. The Libra is a bit more comfortable to hold, because the Oasis has a metal back that's pretty slippery. OTOH the Oasis has a bit more even frontlight. Software-wise the Libra has more customization options and better integration with Calibre, the Oasis has the option to sync non-Amazon books with other devices and the global search (i.e. you can search for a word or a phrase across your whole library, not only inside one book). Really, it would be very difficult to choose between them. Luckily for me I don't have to, but can just switch between them.
As a former Kindle owner (several devices over several years), I did miss the global search when I switched to Kobo, but did NOT miss having my device lock up while indexing, which happened often on my Paperwhites. Since Calibre has been mentioned, I'll add that there is a global search plugin available for Calibre now. Not as convenient as on-device, but handy to have, especially as the grunt work of indexing can done entirely locally by your computer, not a little e-reader or a corporate data miner..
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
As a former Kindle owner (several devices over several years), I did miss the global search when I switched to Kobo, but did NOT miss having my device lock up while indexing, which happened often on my Paperwhites. Since Calibre has been mentioned, I'll add that there is a global search plugin available for Calibre now. Not as convenient as on-device, but handy to have, especially as the grunt work of indexing can done entirely locally by your computer, not a little e-reader or a corporate data miner..
I don't remember the last time any of my Kindles locked up indexing (at least 5 years ago, if not more), but then I've never had a Paperwhite. Perhaps they were more prone to that issue. Or perhaps Amazon has improved the firmware since you last used a Kindle.

I don't use global search very often, but it's a nice feature to have. Still, I haven't really missed it on my Libra. As you say, there are other ways.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:19 PM   #8
hairyHarry

Thanks Everyone!

***Thanks again Sirtel ... and also to ***JSWolf and ***Uncle Robin...

...your help is most appreciated! ...glad I found mobileread.com.

Harry
Old 10-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #9
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Hi, could you say what the Calibre plug in that allows a general search is? I've been searching around the plug ins and other menus and can't find anything. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk
John Hopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Hi, could you say what the Calibre plug in that allows a general search is? I've been searching around the plug ins and other menus and can't find anything. Thanks.

Calibre Power Search Plugin
Old 10-21-2020, 11:35 AM   #11
John Hopper
Addict
John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Hopper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, though I can't find a plug in of this name, or at least not in 4.23, the latest I am using until the DeDRM plug in issue is sorted.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #12
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hopper View Post
Thanks, though I can't find a plug in of this name, or at least not in 4.23, the latest I am using until the DeDRM plug in issue is sorted.

That's why I posted the link - you have to download the zip file in the first post, the one with the installation and setup instructions
Old 10-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #13
John Hopper
Addict

Quote:
That's why I posted the link - you have to download the zip file in the first post, the one with the installation and setup instructions
Okay, thanks 😃

Old 10-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #14
DevonHess
Can't actually read
DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DevonHess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't use global search very often, but it's a nice feature to have.
Yeah, I think global search is a feature that sounds really useful when you hear it, but doesn't have much real practical application.

Maybe it would be more alluring if I was mainly using my eReader for reference books or textbooks, but in that case I would probably just use a tablet anyway.
DevonHess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonHess View Post
Yeah, I think global search is a feature that sounds really useful when you hear it, but doesn't have much real practical application.

I don't use it often, but the most common use I make of it is one that suits being used on my PC more than my reader anyway: Trying to find a word or phrase from a series. For example, trying to find exactly which PGW book uses "gruntled", or how many times Agrajag features in the HHGTTG series.