Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
mjprabakar
mjprabakar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (7thgen)
Kindle PW3 7th gen struck in Invalid battery 22 issue

Hello guys,

My kindle bought last year stopped working after the end of warranty. The battery was completely drained and i tried charging the kindle with a power bank and ended up in this YKNR screen. And adding to this issue, my kindle is recognizing in windows explorer, but am not able to access the file system (basically it is not detecting properly).

please help me in fixing this issue? And my kindle serial number starts with G090G1***
mjprabakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Put the thing on a wall charger for a few days.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #3
IFixKindles
Connoisseur
IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IFixKindles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1 - repair many Kindle models
If it shows up on Windows explorer you just might be able to copy a file to the kindle.

Make an empty text file with the name DO_FACTORY_RESTORE and without any file type extension
If you are able to copy the file to your kindle then do a safe eject from your computer of the kindle and hold down power on the kindle for 30 to 40 seconds. If this works it will trigger a factory reset which should straighten out the battery error.
IFixKindles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #4
mjprabakar

Sure, I will try charging it for a couple of days and keep you guys posted.

Thanks. Fingers crossed !!
Old 10-08-2017, 12:49 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjprabakar View Post
Sure, I will try charging it for a couple of days and keep you guys posted.

Thanks. Fingers crossed !!
Do what I fix said.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2017, 12:53 AM   #6
mjprabakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFixKindles View Post
If it shows up on Windows explorer you just might be able to copy a file to the kindle.

Make an empty text file with the name DO_FACTORY_RESTORE and without any file type extension
If you are able to copy the file to your kindle then do a safe eject from your computer of the kindle and hold down power on the kindle for 30 to 40 seconds. If this works it will trigger a factory reset which should straighten out the battery error.

Nope, This will not work because the Kindle is not properly recognized by my computer. Even it shows there as a removable disk, it is showing a size of 0kb - which is of no use.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Nope, This will not work because the Kindle is not properly recognized by my computer. Even it shows there as a removable disk, it is showing a size of 0kb - which is of no use.
You have missed an important point -
During the normal boot-up process, the USB storage will be exported for a few seconds.
You have to move the file during those few seconds.
Some people use a simple batch file loop to repeatedly try to move the empty file while the Kindle is booting.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #8
mjprabakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You have missed an important point -
During the normal boot-up process, the USB storage will be exported for a few seconds.
You have to move the file during those few seconds.
Some people use a simple batch file loop to repeatedly try to move the empty file while the Kindle is booting.
can you help me with that batch file and process involved in it?
Old 10-08-2017, 10:05 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
can you help me with that batch file and process involved in it?
No.
I don't do floors, doors, or windows.

= = = =

Actually, the last time this came up, a week or two ago, I did some googling on the subject.

You mentioned that you had Windows10 -
PowerShell is installed by default on Windows10.

And a little bit of web searching finds that PowerShell has the features required to detect when USB attached storage appears in the system, and do something (in this case, copy an empty file) when it happens.

But since I have zip, zero, nada experience with Windows10 or PowerShell -
you windows people will have to help each other on this one.
And maybe even post a working example of the script.

Last edited by knc1; 10-08-2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #10
mjprabakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Do what I fix said.
I have tried charging the kindle for 3 days straight without any improvements. Any more suggestions mate ?

Last edited by mjprabakar; 10-26-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
mjprabakar

Quote:
No.
I don't do floors, doors, or windows.

= = = =

Actually, the last time this came up, a week or two ago, I did some googling on the subject.

You mentioned that you had Windows10 -
PowerShell is installed by default on Windows10.

And a little bit of web searching finds that PowerShell has the features required to detect when USB attached storage appears in the system, and do something (in this case, copy an empty file) when it happens.

But since I have zip, zero, nada experience with Windows10 or PowerShell -
you windows people will have to help each other on this one.
And maybe even post a working example of the script.

Sure I will try with powershell provided somebody here in this forum can help. And i tried doing it myself after some deep dive in google. The problem is as soon as the kindle gets restarted "the window which you are telling me to copy the file , doesnt work". The powershell script is returning an error message not accessbile or device not ready...

Any idea. I have a VM i can also try with linux provide if you can help me with that .
Old 10-11-2017, 12:35 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have tried charging the kindle for 3 days straight without any improvements. Any more suggestions ?
What happened when you tried your PowerShell script?
Old 10-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
mjprabakar

Quote:
What happened when you tried your PowerShell script?
It outputed like error copying the file. device not ready or unavailable.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #14
nicolasmart
Sometimes active.
nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nicolasmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT2, PW2
Quote:
It outputed like error copying the file. device not ready or unavailable.
Try the following:

1. Connect your Kindle to PC.
2. Hold Kindle’s power button for about 40 seconds until it reboots.
3. Open command line (cmd.exe) and type
diskpart
4. DISKPART> string will appear. Then type
list volume
5. You’ll get the list of drives connected to your PC like this one:
DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
———- — ———– —– ———- ——- ——— ——–
Volume 0 F New UDF DVD-ROM 4482 MB Healthy
Volume 1 E NTFS Partition 156 GB Healthy
Volume 2 D NTFS Partition 309 GB Healthy
Volume 3 System Rese NTFS Partition 547 MB Healthy System
Volume 4 C NTFS Partition 223 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 5 G Removable 0 B No Media
6. Find removable volume with 0B size and No Media status. In my case it was “Volume 5”
7. Next type the following string according to the information gained on previous step:
select volume 5

After that, you should be fine.
nicolasmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #15
mjprabakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmart View Post
Try the following:

1. Connect your Kindle to PC.
2. Hold Kindle’s power button for about 40 seconds until it reboots.
3. Open command line (cmd.exe) and type
diskpart
4. DISKPART> string will appear. Then type
list volume
5. You’ll get the list of drives connected to your PC like this one:
DISKPART> LIST VOLUME
Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
———- — ———– —– ———- ——- ——— ——–
Volume 0 F New UDF DVD-ROM 4482 MB Healthy
Volume 1 E NTFS Partition 156 GB Healthy
Volume 2 D NTFS Partition 309 GB Healthy
Volume 3 System Rese NTFS Partition 547 MB Healthy System
Volume 4 C NTFS Partition 223 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 5 G Removable 0 B No Media
6. Find removable volume with 0B size and No Media status. In my case it was “Volume 5”
7. Next type the following string according to the information gained on previous step:
select volume 5

After that, you should be fine.
Can you explain me all the steps. I tried doing this Diskpart it did selected the one without volume.

Then what should i Do ? I still cannot copy anything from browser or cmd. Can you help?

Tags
kindle, kindle pw3