Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
firite
firite began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Touch SSH access?

Hi guys,

Apologies for a new post on this, but I've tried searching the forums and I've been bothering geekmaster too much for his own good. Apologies for this irritating messages! The problem here is that my kindle could not successfully update to 5.1 and then got stuck at the diags screen. So what I did is follow the unbricking guide, and first flashboot the device to get mmcblk0p2 ssh on to it.

Then, in order to get mmcblk0p1 onto the touch, I learnt that I would have to gain SSH access to transfer it onto the other partition. Here lies the problem. While I have been able to install the NDIS drivers, and adjust the IP address of the connection to be a static 192.168.15.1, and at the same time enable USBnet on my kindle in diags mode, when I try to use putty.exe to connect to the kindle, I get the "connection refused" dialogue. What am I doing wrong, and if so, what steps do I need to take? I apologise, I am running windows 7, and I really need some hand holding down to root ssh access.
firite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by firite View Post
Hi guys,

Apologies for a new post on this, but I've tried searching the forums and I've been bothering geekmaster too much for his own good. Apologies for this irritating messages! The problem here is that my kindle could not successfully update to 5.1 and then got stuck at the diags screen. So what I did is follow the unbricking guide, and first flashboot the device to get mmcblk0p2 ssh on to it.

Then, in order to get mmcblk0p1 onto the touch, I learnt that I would have to gain SSH access to transfer it onto the other partition. Here lies the problem. While I have been able to install the NDIS drivers, and adjust the IP address of the connection to be a static 192.168.15.1, and at the same time enable USBnet on my kindle in diags mode, when I try to use putty.exe to connect to the kindle, I get the "connection refused" dialogue. What am I doing wrong, and if so, what steps do I need to take? I apologise, I am running windows 7, and I really need some hand holding down to root ssh access.
Diags menu N) U) Z) X) wait 30 seconds, then connect with Putty. Login is root, passwd is mario.

The root drive is diags. To mount and repair main, do

mnt /dev/mmcblk0p3 /mnt/mmc

then fix stuff inside /mnt/mmc (which will be / when boot to main).

To boot to main type:

idme -d --bootmode main
rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
sync
reboot

This is documented many times in the debricking threads (and the first post).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
hawk72
hawk72 began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE4
kindle 4 diags Failure

fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
fastboot.exe setvar bootmode diags
fastboot.exe reboot
Then the .
http://p13.freep.cn/p.aspx?u=v20_p13...04547359_0.jpg
hawk72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk72 View Post
fastboot.exe flash diags mmcblk0p2.img
fastboot.exe setvar bootmode diags
fastboot.exe reboot
Then the .
http://p13.freep.cn/p.aspx?u=v20_p13...04547359_0.jpg
That is the "kindle tree" screen shown at 600x800 instead of 608x800 (normal for starting diags) but it should not hang here (unless the battery is discharged).

WHY did you flash the diags partition on a K4? It has fastboot built into the FACTORY diags partition. The diags with SSH you can download is for the K5 (touch), which is why it is hanging when starting diags. Now you need to flash a diags partition for a K4...

I had two kindle 4's in that condition. What I discovered was that leaving a kindle in diagnostics mode will drain the battery so low it will not reboot past the "twisted kindle tree" screen. I was ONLY able to recharge them in fastboot mode.

Try using MfgTool to go to fastboot mode and just leave them there for several hours, then try flash a K4 diags partition to it...

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-03-2012 at 09:39 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote