Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Any way I could get calibre usable ?

I though some software to manage my e-books would be nice. But calibre looks like a total no go.

First, the "organisation", is just a total mess. Creates tons of useless folders.
Maybe I could bear with that, but there is another problem.

I have multiple copies of the same book. (original, then "fixed" copy(s)) That, obiously, have the same metadata. And calibre's way prevent from dealing with that.
I need to be able to set folders and files names in calibres library, according to custom tags... Right now, I just can not use calibre.
You can tell calibre what you want for save to disk and upload to device, why not for the library itself ?

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-28-2010 at 12:03 PM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
First, the "organisation", is just a total mess. Creates tons of useless folders. Maybe I could bear with that, but there is another problem.
The folders aren't useless they are the structure of calibre's database.

Quote:
I have multiple copies of the same book. (original, then "fixed" copy(s)) That, obiously, have the same metadata. And calibre's way prevent from dealing with that.
Some folks here have worked around this, I'll let them chime in with the solutions that worked for them.

Quote:
I need to be able to set folders and files names in calibres library, according to custom tags... Right now, I just can not use calibre.
No one "needs" to change calibre's library structure. There just isn't a justified case for this "need."

Quote:
You can tell calibre what you want for save to disk and upload to device, why not for the library itself ?
At least you have done your homework. The library is calibre's domain. Using tags and custom columns you can export files quickly in any format you want.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
At least you have done your homework. The library is calibre's domain. Using tags and custom columns you can export files quickly in any format you want
No, I can't.
If two files have the same metadata, and I DO have some like that, it will export only one of the two files... Plus, I want a clean library without needing to export.

Quote:
No one "needs" to change calibre's library structure. There just isn't a justified case for this "need."
I do need to keep the original version of my e-books, as well as the edited one. I have to keep the original version, in case i screw up. That's perfectly justified. I also keep the file with drm, just in case.
Don't try to tell me what I need, or don't need.

Software are there to do what the user tells them to do, not the other way around.
Unless this is fixed, calibre is just total useless to me.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-28-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
No, I can't. If two files have the same metadata, and I DO have some like that, it will export only one of the two files...
That stems from workflow that I stated I'd let others comment on.

Quote:
Plus, I want a clean library without needing to export.
Calibre provides a clean library. It isn't possible to address everyone's unique OCD symptons.

Quote:
I do need to keep the original version of my e-books, as well as the edited one.
Calibre doesn't alter or change your original in anyway so they will still be where they started untouched.

Quote:
I have to keep the original version, in case i screw up. That's perfectly justified. I also keep the file with drm, just in case.
Don't try to tell me what I need, or don't need.
What you need or don't need has nothing to do with the internal structure of calibre. At the risk of repeating myself, You do not need to change calibre's library structure.

Quote:
Software are there to do what the user tells them to do, not the other way around. Unless this is fixed, calibre is just total useless to me.
It is possible calibre isn't for you, but I or others here could create an acceptable workflow to accomplish even your unique view.

One idea is to create 3 libraries. One for your source files, a second for your working files, a third for finished files. Books can be copied from one library to the next library at any stage.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
What you need or don't need has nothing to do with the internal structure of calibre. At the risk of repeating myself, You do not need to change calibre's library structure.
Calibre library structure prevent me from using it. So yes, i would need to change it, if I'm to use calibre.

Quote:
Calibre provides a clean library. It isn't possible to address everyone's unique OCD symptons.
Clean ?? Not really, it totally un-browable.
And of course it is possible to accommodate everyone, by adding the function that already exists in "save to folder" and "send to device". Let the user say how to name the files.

Quote:
It is possible calibre isn't for you, but I or others here could create an acceptable workflow to accomplish even your unique view.

One idea is to create 3 libraries. One for your source files, a second for your working files, a third for finished files. Books can be copied from one library to the next library at any stage.
Mmm, no go. Some books have one files, others have 3 or 4.
Unless I have Calibre handle only the "final" files, but having to manually sort the rest would defeat the point of a library software.
Advert
Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Clean ?? Not really, it totally un-browable.
Its designed to use the calibre GUI for browsing, not the operating system.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Before this turns into a full blown flame war, let me explain something about how calibre works since it is something most people are not used to. For decades, computers have used the folder and filename system to organize data files. It works but it actually is very inefficient, especially if one has a file that can be classified in more than one place. The only two options in the latter scenario is to either file duplicate files or to create shortcuts to the original file. The latter option has the advantage that any changes to the original will be seen when accessed through a shortcut whereas with duplicate files, one would have to run down every duplicate to duplicate the change. A downside to both options is if one wants to delete a file, one would have to run down every duplicate file or shortcut and delete them all. It is a simple system needing only the Operating System to support it but it is very inefficient.

A better system for file organization is to attach metadata, also known as tags, to each file then use software to list and find the files. This way, a file can be classifed in an unlimited (depending on how the software was programmed) number of categories. Menus can be generated for each category allowing fast and easy access to each file. Many music management programs use a system similar to this. Some will keep the metadata within the program (which tends to limit its flexibility), some will attach the metadata directly to the files (which changes the file; not necessarilly a good thing), and others will put the metadata in a separate file in a folder with the files (probably the most efficient way to do this). The latter is what calibre does.

Often, newcomers to calibre have a hard time grasping that calibre is not just a book cataloging program that happens to do conversions but is a complete book management system. Once calibre has copied a book to its folder (calibre doesn't touch or move the original file), there is no longer any need to directly access the book through the folder/filename system (in fact, messing around in calibre's folders could cause problems). Anything you could have done with the folder/filename system can be done from within calibre. In fact, you can do far more from within calibre than you can from any folder/filename setup. You just have to let go of the old and adopt the new. Instead of fighting calibre, let it work for you.

One of the nice things about calibre is this forum where people can go for help when having problems understanding it (calibre is a complex program. But you do have to ask with an open mind. We have had so many people come here insisting, often belligerently, that they need to keep their original folder/filename structure that some of the fold here get their backs up when it happens. Approach them nicely with an open mind and they will bend over backwards for you. I'm an idiot when it comes to computers and software and have to be walked through every step like a small child (which is sad since I'm large and old). If I get confused along the way, I just say so and the folks here will do whatever they can to help me.

I tried many programs prior to calibre (and sice then, too) and I haven't found any that were able to meet my needs as well as calibre, not to mention the incredible support system.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
You just have to let go of the old and adopt the new. Instead of fighting calibre, let it work for you.
There is still that problem with being unable to import ALL my books into calibre. So no, there will no using calibre unless that problem is fixed.

Quote:
A better system for file organisation is to attach metadata, also known as tags, to each file then use software to list and find the files.
My mp3 software uses tags too.
I say "my file are there", it index them. But will let them be unless I actually tells it to change them. Why can't calibre act that way ?
Old 11-28-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Evilwarning
Evilwarning began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi

This the same kind of feature Aperture provide on the Mac. You have the original image and you can make correction to the photos and the system creates multiple copies and manages them all. An original copy is always kept just in case.

I only see this scenario if one person is not using Calibre as a book repository but as a book version control much like a source control.

Nice if your editing books, useless for everybody else.

Now the people upgrading Calibre must think if the time to develop this facility is worth the effort. Remember Apple has lots of programmers and Aperture as version only every 12 - 18 months

my 2 cents.
Evilwarning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You guys seriously need to wait with this type of threads until my popcorn is done.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...My mp3 software uses tags too.
I say "my file are there", it index them. But will let them be unless I actually tells it to change them. Why can't calibre act that way ?
Since calibre can do everything you can do with the original file/folder structure (and more), why should it?
Old 11-29-2010, 03:45 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Since calibre can do everything you can do with the original file/folder structure (and more), why should it?
No, it can't do everyting that the original file structure can.
Totally mess up with files that have the same title and author. I can't say which one is the edited one, because calibre have renamed the files...

And I didn't spend time putting my books in some folders to have a software tell me how I should be organizing my books.
Old 11-29-2010, 03:57 AM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard

Quote:
No, it can't do everyting that the original file structure can.
Totally mess up with files that have the same title and author. I can't say which one is the edited one, because calibre have renamed the files...

And I didn't spend time putting my books in some folders to have a software tell me how I should be organizing my books.
Curious. Over a million users seem to have no trouble with it. If you don't want software telling you how to organize your books, then don't use it. Don't come here carping about it and not listening to people who are trying to help you. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
No, I can't.
If two files have the same metadata, and I DO have some like that, it will export only one of the two files..
Yep. One of the annoyances of Calibre. So, if I want all formats (on my BBM, I use all three, mobi, epub and pdf), I have to save to disk 3 times...

Quote:
I do need to keep the original version of my e-books, as well as the edited one. I have to keep the original version, in case i screw up. That's perfectly justified. I also keep the file with drm, just in case.
I just leave those copies out of Calibre. I only have the "reader approved" versions in Calibre.

Quote:
Software are there to do what the user tells them to do, not the other way around.
Unless this is fixed, calibre is just total useless to me.
Problem is, it does what you want, but not the full 100%. But a calibre-like application that will index my files, without making a copy of each book would be something I'd love to have...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Problem is, it does what you want, but not the full 100%. But a calibre-like application that will index my files, without making a copy of each book would be something I'd love to have...
Yeap.
The "worse" being, that the changes needed to calibre to make it usable don't seam that big.
But then, i never had a look at calibre's code.

Guess i'll have to go the do-it-yourself road.
I'm in the proses of re-tagging / sorting my mp3, it's an horrible mess. So I'll rather take care of the e-book case, before it gets out of hand.

Quote:
I just leave those copies out of Calibre
Yes, but that would requires managing that manually, which is exactly what I want to avoid by using a software.