Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-18-2018, 11:37 PM   #3406
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Penguin Random House -- Monthly Offer -- exp 21 Jun @ 11:59 AM ET
  • FREE -- First Comes Love -- Emily Giffin/ Emily Foster, et al --> 12.1 hrs --> contemp
Quote:
We’re giving away a FREE audiobook download of First Comes Love by Emily Giffin.

Offer ends on Thursday, June 21th at 11:59 AM ET. Download the free audio below, by visiting us on Facebook, or by downloading the Volumes app. Happy listening!
Spoiler:
Quote:
First Comes Love (publisher's website)

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER • A pair of sisters find themselves at a crossroads in this dazzling new novel from the author of Something Borrowed, Where We Belong, and The One & Only. First Comes Love is a story about family, friendship, and the courage to follow your own heart—wherever that may lead.

Growing up, Josie and Meredith Garland shared a loving, if sometimes contentious, relationship. Josie was impulsive, spirited, and outgoing, Meredith hardworking, thoughtful, and reserved. When tragedy strikes, their delicate bond splinters.

Fifteen years later, Josie and Meredith are in their late thirties, following very different paths. Josie, a first grade teacher, is single—and this close to swearing off dating for good. What she wants more than the right guy, however, is to become a mother—a feeling that is heightened when her ex-boyfriend’s daughter is assigned to her class. Determined to have the future she’s always wanted, Josie decides to take matters into her own hands.

On the outside, Meredith is the model daughter with the perfect life. A successful attorney, she’s married to a wonderful man, and together they’re raising a beautiful four-year-old daughter. Yet lately Meredith feels dissatisfied and restless, secretly wondering if she chose the life that was expected of her rather than the one she truly desired.

As the anniversary of their tragedy looms, and painful secrets from the past begin to surface, Josie and Meredith must not only confront the issues that divide them but also come to terms with their own choices. In their journey toward understanding and forgiveness, both sisters discover that they need each other more than they knew—and that in the search for true happiness, love always comes first.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:04 AM   #3407
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Perhaps, with your more than 6,200 posts here, it's time you come up with a different excuse.
Okay, okay. There was a hurricane that came right through this area. That's my excuse now.*

*But the hurricane was last September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Back on topic, I think I'll check out that Great Courses deal. I honestly wasn't thrilled with the last TGC thing I listened to (also, coincidentally, on matters of grey matter) but I'll give them another shot.
They're not for everyone. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

I also recently finished listening to a TGC course about the brain. The instructor is a woman. She mentioned two or three (or more) times that she was also an opera singer. She also mentioned several times how she likes to drink wine. I wonder if it could be the same course as you listened to. I thought that it was great, but it was very L O N G.

TGC does have a policy of refunding your money (or maybe it's to let you make an exchange), if you don't like a course ("if you're ever unhappy with a course," or something to that effect). Why don't you use that policy to return the courses that you don't like? Unfortunately, the previews are probably too short to give you a good feel for how well that you would like the full versions.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-19-2018 at 02:07 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 01:40 AM   #3408
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
Yeah, the Great Courses can be hit or miss, but are sure hard to beat for bang-for-the buck. Some of them run 36 hours for one credit.
I didn't think about the credit aspect, but it's probably because I'm not a credit member and rarely have been one in the past.

Quote:
They've recently been cropping up in a lot of services available in libraries. Overdrive, RB digital, Hoopla, and Kanopy all carry a selection in either audio or video formats.
I haven't noticed that, but I haven't been checking, either. I got so ticked off with the "improvements" that FreeGal made recently, that I've gotten disgusted with the whole digital thing through libraries, and haven't checked, recently, either of the library systems with which I have privileges.

It seems that libraries have traditionally favored Recorded Books over other lecture-type recordings. They might cheaper for libraries to acquire, I dunno. RB audios are good, and I've bought quite a few of them, too, but I think that the lecturers are not quite up to the level of TGC's. On the other hand, Recorded Books has audio on subjects that TGC doesn't seem to cover.

Quote:
Dunno what the future hold for the company. Seems pretty tough to make it against all the free podcasts and moocs, but I hope they can find a way to stick around. Their streaming service seems pretty desperate for customers. It started out pretty expensive, but can now be had for 10 bucks a month if you but in 3 month blocks. Their emails smack a bit of desperation, reminding me of some of the magazine offers I get in the mail.
I think that their long-term prospects are good. Their typical sales (which, as you might have implied, are very often) still leave the price of the courses pretty high. I think that relatively few people are as price-conscious as most of us on this thread are, who I think that, for the most part, are willing to delay gratification until the price of something gets very low.

Your observation about the streaming service may be spot-on.

If you want more frequent communication from TGC, you can always sign up for their snail mail sales announcements. ha

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-19-2018 at 02:02 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #3409
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Daily Deals -- exp 19 Jun

Last edited by tubemonkey; 06-20-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: added Downpour deal
Old 06-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #3410
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
Downpour now showing:
Hell Divers III: Deliverance
By Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Read by R. C. Bray
The Hell Divers Series: Book 3 - $4.95

Tomorrow seems to be Hell Divers II: Ghosts and Thurs is Hell Divers (the first in series). Thought that a bit unusual and worth a note.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:22 AM   #3411
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tch65721 View Post
Downpour now showing:
Hell Divers III: Deliverance
By Nicholas Sansbury Smith
Read by R. C. Bray
The Hell Divers Series: Book 3 - $4.95

Tomorrow seems to be Hell Divers II: Ghosts and Thurs is Hell Divers (the first in series). Thought that a bit unusual and worth a note.
Thanks for the heads up. I read the first book, and found it okay, but not great, mostly due to really annoying characters and spotty world building. But interesting enough to want to read the sequel, so I'll pick up the one today, and the second tomorrow.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:16 AM   #3412
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 20 Jun
  • £2.99 -- Sprint -- Jake Knapp, et al --> NF business

* Sprint: How to solve big problems and test new ideas in just five days
Old 06-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #3413
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 20 Jun
Old 06-20-2018, 09:55 AM   #3414
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Last Day -- Penguin Random House -- exp 21 Jun @ 11:59 AM ET
Old 06-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #3415
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Daily Deals -- exp 20 Jun

Errr... the Kindle version is only $1.99 and $1.99 for the Whispersync audio!

Not buying this one, I bought the book for free ages ago and still haven't read it.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #3416
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Errr... the Kindle version is only $1.99 and $1.99 for the Whispersync audio!

Not buying this one, I bought the book for free ages ago and still haven't read it.
I logged in to see if I had the Kindle version and I do. No desire to buy the audio.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:55 PM   #3417
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Audible UK -- Daily Deal -- exp 21 Jun
Old 06-20-2018, 09:41 PM   #3418
skinmaan
Wizard
skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skinmaan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android tablet, Kindle KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Sync Audio -- Weekly Offers -- FAQs & Help -- exp 21 Jun @ 7 AM ET

FREE -- My Name Is Not Friday -- Jon Walter/ D Graham --> 9.9 hrs --> fiction

FREE -- Come August, Come Freedom -- Gigi Amateau/ JD Jackson --> 5.0 hrs --> historical
Last day, BTW.
skinmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 AM   #3419
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinmaan View Post
Last day, BTW.
Thanks for catching this. I spaced out and forgot to post this
Old 06-21-2018, 05:39 PM   #3420
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Daily Deals -- exp 21 Jun