Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2008, 08:29 AM   #1
Jonahcz
Jonahcz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
1st time owner - Advice on personalizing, improving, hacking?

I just recieved the PRS 505. Love it for adding Word docs and PDFs from work and school in exchange for printing case studies and carrying a physical file folder around. I noticed that a lot of threads here discuss different tweaks that can be made to the 505 to improve performance, etc. Any advice for a novice to get started?

Thanks.
Jonahcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My advice is to not hack it, Sony is to be releasing a firmware update soon so I would wait until after then
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2008, 04:22 PM   #3
Jonahcz
Jonahcz began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Many thanks! Any advice as to a source that can provide the details about the changes the firmware may deliver?
Jonahcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
A big thread about it here, anyones guess and hopes as to what the upgrade will be but improved pdf readability seems to be popular.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=sony+firmware
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
As for personalizing, someone on the forum suggested creating a photo with your mug and your name so that it's easy to identify the Reader as your own should it be lost.

Also, you can personalize your case in any number of ways. I have my reader in a hollowed out copy of Larry Burkett's "Debt Free Living".
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Oh, and for a performance tweak and a cool tip:

1. Avoid using cards for extended periods of time (SD and Memory Stick). They suck the battery.
2. Buy a cheap Sony PSP charger off Ebay or at Gamestop. You can charge the device much faster than using the USB port and it will come in handy if you ever completely drain the battery.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
mflood
Enthusiast
mflood began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The tip about the charger is good, but I just wanted to point out that the 505 can charge from dead via usb. Charger is nice for speed and convenience, but it's not necessary.
mflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:50 PM   #8
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflood View Post
The tip about the charger is good, but I just wanted to point out that the 505 can charge from dead via usb. Charger is nice for speed and convenience, but it's not necessary.
PSP charger is nice because of: speed, convenience, AND you can use the Reader while charging. *Much* better than USB. You can even get a usb-PSP cable to charge from any usb charger or computer.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote