Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
pillacd
pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook HD+, Nook STR
Trying to find/identify an *old* book on things for kids to do...

The book I'm trying to dredge up from the dim recesses of my memory is similar to Popular Mechanics "Boy Mechanic", but not quite the same. As I recall, the book was published in the early 1900's.

The book contained descriptions similar to the "Boy Mechanic" on how to make things/toys, some of which by today's standards would be considered hideously dangerous (like the submarine that used hyrdocholoric acid to generate the gas that gave it bouyancy). There was mild stuff as well, like using a barrel hoop and a stick as a rolling toy.

I thought I saw it once as either a set of HTML pages or an ebook, but it may have been a hard copy.

Does this sound familiar to any one? I can't remember the title, so I'm having trouble locating any reference to the book online.
pillacd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Only thing I've been able to find is the Popular Mechanics stuff. One of which is free at Gutenberg Press.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12655
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Is it the American Boys Handy Book?

http://www.inquiry.net/traditional/beard/abhb/index.htm
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
pillacd
pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pillacd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
That's not it, but it looks interesting. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
pillacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Only thing I've been able to find is the Popular Mechanics stuff. One of which is free at Gutenberg Press.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12655
The Boy Mechanic is what I've found before. It's close to what I was looking for, but not quite what I remember. Thanks.
Advert
Old 09-09-2011, 12:41 AM   #6
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
OK I couldn't help doing some digging it's the bookstore employee in me we get real good at this after the fourth of fifth customer asks for the red book you know it's got a red cover and it's about that guy don't you like read books and stuff. Anyhow your comment reminded me of Conn Iggluden's Dangerous Book for Boys (which I have wholeheartedly reccomended to many parents since I believe a large part of any good boy's upbringing is learning how to blow stuff up, burn stuff, and generally cause mayhem on a small scale ). Anyhow a quick wikipedia search of that book turned up some possible alternatives from the time frame you are thinking of but they were already suggested so I did a wider google search and came across this book Handicraft for Handy Boys http://www.archive.org/stream/handic...0hall_djvu.txt which seemed like a plausible choice. I'll keep looking though the game is afoot now.

Last edited by remcdonald; 09-09-2011 at 12:55 AM.
remcdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
pillacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by remcdonald View Post
... your comment reminded me of Conn Iggluden's Dangerous Book for Boys (which I have wholeheartedly reccomended to many parents since I believe a large part of any good boy's upbringing is learning how to blow stuff up, burn stuff, and generally cause mayhem on a small scale ). ... I did a wider google search and came across this book Handicraft for Handy Boys http://www.archive.org/stream/handic...0hall_djvu.txt which seemed like a plausible choice. I'll keep looking though the game is afoot now.
That doesn't look like it, but it does reaffirm that I did not learn enough stuff as a kid.

Oh, and you've hit upon my reason for the search - I want something more comprehensive than currently published materials to use in educating my grandsons. I will have to strip out the really dangerous stuff, of course, if I don't want their mother & grandmother to put me in traction.

The responses have been great - I've already got a couple of new sources I didn't know about. Thanks to all.

Last edited by pillacd; 09-09-2011 at 07:00 PM.