Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2021, 05:43 PM   #46
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
I don't often use my phone for reading but I do have a nobbled ipod touch that I use (everything turned off, no apps except the reader). But it'll only last for about 8 hours. They'll be my last iThings because I get annoyed trying to upload things onto it (among other things).

I have recently bought a Pocketbook reader and I haven't had to charge it since I bought it. It even coped with having almost my whole library downloaded onto it. For me, it's nicer to read on. It even has a not too bright back light for night reading. Noice!
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:28 PM   #47
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I think it is safe to say that Mobileread participants are heavily skewed to prefer eReaders, as this discussion suggests. We are self-selected device enthusiasts.

However, in the general population of ebook consumers, there are reasons to think that is not the case:

Reading can happen on a variety of devices: desktops/laptops, tablets, smartphones, eReaders. Of these categories, eReaders are the least ‘popular’ by far. Ebook consumers are more likely to have one, but given proliferation of smartphones, are likely to have a mobile device as well.

Customers buying from Apple or Google are very unlikely to be reading those on eReaders. Perhaps this represents 5-10% of ebook consumption worldwide.

That leaves Amazon, Kobo, and B&N (Pocketbook in EU?) as the major storefronts tied to eReader devices. B&N is US - only, but Kobo and Amazon have pretty decent availability worldwide (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and India). (AFAICT, China has a rapidly expanding ebook market, but is mostly closed to ‘outsiders’ — and they have their own brands of eReaders and storefronts).

Kobo and B&N customers probably still favor eReaders: both companies continue to design and release new ones, while the mobile apps have not evolved a lot. The Kobo app in particular is uninspiring. The Nook app is better, and lately has been getting more substantive updates, it has been awhile since a new eReader shipped, and a new Nook-branded tablet is shipping, so perhaps they are changing emphasis based on the consumption patterns of their customers and the expense of designing their own devices.

By contrast, despite the early success of Kindle, the Kindle platform soon expanded to other platforms: Kindle apps for iOS, Android, Blackberry, webOS, macOS, Windows and Windows mobile, and later, of course, FireOS. Today, iOS and Android apps are updated monthly and new features tend to arrive there first. Kindle updates roll out more slowly (part of that may be due to constraints of eReader hardware). And it has been 20 months since the latest model shipped, the longest interval in the history of Kindle.

What this all suggests is to me is that the majority or at least plurality of usage happens on mobile platforms, not eReaders and therefore eReaders cannot be characterized as ‘popular’.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2021, 10:39 PM   #48
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I have a smartphone, an eReader, a tablet, a super small MP3 player and a computer. Each excels in it's own niche. I also have a laptop, but that gets very infrequent use, since it doesn't excel at anything (in most every case, a different device is better).

I prefer a dedicated device that does it's thing extremely well, rather than a jack of all trades, master at none device. The Smartphone is the jack of all trades. But it does excel at one specific task - phone calls - for everything else, it is a compromise. It's one claim to fame is that it's small - actually huge compared to the old flip phones - but you tend to have it with you all the time. However, it's small size is also it's downfall IMHO - it sucks for reading books or doing web surfing. The only thing I have that is smaller is that MP3 player (about 1"x1.5"x0.5") and it excels at audiobooks and listening to music on the go.

A smartphone is like a multi-tool. It'll get you by in a pinch, but you really wish you had your real tools. Many people seem to worship their smartphone. Never taking their eyes off it - not while walking, not while in a group with others, not in bed, not in a restaurant, not in a theater, not while driving. Incessantly taking selfies and typing away on the thing. I'm not like that. And I don't understand that neurosis either. It's bizarre. They don't seem to know how to exist without the smartphone leading the way. For them, yes, I can see why they'd question the need for a separate eReader. They don't need anything EXCEPT a smartphone. It's their whole life.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:56 PM   #49
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The Kobo app in particular is uninspiring. ...

By contrast, ... Kindle apps for iOS, Android, Blackberry, webOS, macOS, Windows and Windows mobile, and later, of course, FireOS. Today, iOS and Android apps are updated monthly and new features tend to arrive there first.

I'm not contesting the "uninspiring" description of the Kobo app, as I hardly ever use it. I am, though curious to know in what ways the current Kindle app is less uninspiring. I have the latest versions of both on my Android tablet, and not struck by a huge difference in functionality. What am I missing?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	koboandroid.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	186319   Click image for larger version

Name:	kindleandroid.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	186320  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I think it is safe to say that Mobileread participants are heavily skewed to prefer eReaders, as this discussion suggests. We are self-selected device enthusiasts.

However, in the general population of ebook consumers, there are reasons to think that is not the case:

Reading can happen on a variety of devices: desktops/laptops, tablets, smartphones, eReaders. Of these categories, eReaders are the least ‘popular’ by far. Ebook consumers are more likely to have one, but given proliferation of smartphones, are likely to have a mobile device as well.

Customers buying from Apple or Google are very unlikely to be reading those on eReaders. Perhaps this represents 5-10% of ebook consumption worldwide.

That leaves Amazon, Kobo, and B&N (Pocketbook in EU?) as the major storefronts tied to eReader devices. B&N is US - only, but Kobo and Amazon have pretty decent availability worldwide (North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific and India). (AFAICT, China has a rapidly expanding ebook market, but is mostly closed to ‘outsiders’ — and they have their own brands of eReaders and storefronts).

Kobo and B&N customers probably still favor eReaders: both companies continue to design and release new ones, while the mobile apps have not evolved a lot. The Kobo app in particular is uninspiring. The Nook app is better, and lately has been getting more substantive updates, it has been awhile since a new eReader shipped, and a new Nook-branded tablet is shipping, so perhaps they are changing emphasis based on the consumption patterns of their customers and the expense of designing their own devices.

By contrast, despite the early success of Kindle, the Kindle platform soon expanded to other platforms: Kindle apps for iOS, Android, Blackberry, webOS, macOS, Windows and Windows mobile, and later, of course, FireOS. Today, iOS and Android apps are updated monthly and new features tend to arrive there first. Kindle updates roll out more slowly (part of that may be due to constraints of eReader hardware). And it has been 20 months since the latest model shipped, the longest interval in the history of Kindle.

What this all suggests is to me is that the majority or at least plurality of usage happens on mobile platforms, not eReaders and therefore eReaders cannot be characterized as ‘popular’.
I'm not sure what you are defining as "reading". I tend to think of reading as fiction, or non-fiction books covering things like memoirs, history, ... If the majority of ebook purchasers have an ereader, I would tend to think that a majority of reading is done on ereaders (excluding pbook reading)?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2021, 07:51 AM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I'm not contesting the "uninspiring" description of the Kobo app, as I hardly ever use it. I am, though curious to know in what ways the current Kindle app is less uninspiring. I have the latest versions of both on my Android tablet, and not struck by a huge difference in functionality. What am I missing?
There are two supremely irritating aspects of the Kindle app: the font size jumps from too small to too big (for my eyes) and the smallest margins are too large.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:02 AM   #52
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:

I agree, most people do seem to prefer other platforms or paper books. But I’m curious about your observation that Amazon hasn’t released a new kindle in 20 months. What more can Amazon do with a new model? I can’t think of any new features that would enhance my reading experience. Software enhancements, like better organizational tools, would be nice. But my physical devices (kindle and kobo) seem maxed out, so I’m not sure what they could offer to entice me to buy a new model.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I agree, most people do seem to prefer other platforms or paper books. But I’m curious about your observation that Amazon hasn’t released a new kindle in 20 months. What more can Amazon do with a new model? I can’t think of any new features that would enhance my reading experience. Software enhancements, like better organizational tools, would be nice. But my physical devices (kindle and kobo) seem maxed out, so I’m not sure what they could offer to entice me to buy a new model.
We'll find out soon enough as Kobo is coming out with another Reader later this year.

There are still things that can be done such as plastic backed screens for all devices, 32GB standard, 10.3" screen, the color light allowed to be whatever color the user wants, waterproof for all devices, faster processor, larger capacity battery, and more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #54
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddz View Post
Wait until you develop arthritis in your hands.
That's a very good point. But I'd imagine even reading a regular book would be difficult with arthritis in the hands. But I do see the advantage of having a larger screen, as then you could have a larger font (if needed) but still fit more words on the page and have less taps/swipes, thus aggravating your arthritis less.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #55
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We'll find out soon enough as Kobo is coming out with another Reader later this year.

There are still things that can be done such as plastic backed screens for all devices, 32GB standard, 10.3" screen, the color light allowed to be whatever color the user wants, waterproof for all devices, faster processor, larger capacity battery, and more.
Larger, faster readers sound ideal for people who read graphic novels and comics. Since I don’t read those, I probably wouldn’t be tempted. A heavier battery and a 10.3” screen would make the reader less portable. My kindle is waterproof, and its 4GB holds twice as much as my whole library. It’s configuration has a good balance of features for me, since I read basic text, and like to take it out with me.

I do see why some people would like larger screens. But my point was just that at some point, new models won’t actually add to core the reading experience. They’ll just encourage consumerism through a policy of planned obsolescence.

Last edited by Victoria; 04-02-2021 at 10:48 AM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #56
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
The Kindle app handles footnotes better than the Kobo app and provides very useful line space options. I also have a couple of enormous books which are much easier to read via the kindle app (KFX does have it's uses).

However, other then enormous books (which I'd split if they hadn't choked my computer in the attempt), I prefer to read my liberated ebooks on Moon+ Reader or EBookDroid for PDFs.

To go back to the original topic I do all my ereading on a small android tablet that fits handily in my purse being one of those people who mostly reads indoors, doesn't have eye ache reading on a tablet as long as it's set fairly dim, and is rarely far from a charging station.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #57
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Larger, faster readers sound ideal for people who read graphic novels and comics. Since I don’t read those, I probably wouldn’t be tempted. A heavier battery and a 10.3” screen would make the reader less portable. My kindle is waterproof, and its 4GB holds twice as much as my whole library. It’s configuration has a good balance of features for me, since I read basic text, and like to take it out with me.

I do see why some people would like larger screens. But my point was just that at some point, new models won’t actually add to core the reading experience. They’ll just encourage consumerism through a policy of planned obsolescence.
I read basic text also, but the ideal screen size for me (as of now) is 7". 8" would be interesting as well, provided it won't add too much to the overall weight. And not even 32 GB would hold my whole library, so the larger the storage is, the better. Not that I ever intend to load my whole library on a single ereader, but still.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:58 AM   #58
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
- In a number of contexts, I find the UI sluggish and not responsive enough. It’s okay when in reading mode, but navigating library and storefront is sometimes painfully slow (especially when something is downloading or indexing), as compared with other electronic devices. A more capable CPU and chipset might help with this, maybe with both high and low performance cores that can help smooth out responsiveness without impacting power consumption.

- specifically about Kindle, I would like them to implement Immersion Reading (synchronized audiobook and ebook), and bring back TTS (VoiceView screen reader doesn’t really fulfill the same use cases). Again this might benefit from a more specialized CPU and chipset, and perhaps more RAM than the existing lineup has.

I would also welcome display improvements (still contrast is not great compared to LCD/OLED etc) but it doesn’t seem there are any on the horizon.

But even with such enhancements, would it be enough to entice people from reading on smartphones and tablets?

Last edited by tomsem; 04-02-2021 at 12:04 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #59
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I can't think of anything worse than reading a book on my phone, and I don't enjoy reading on a tablet unless forced (like scribd ebook rentals or hoopla ebook rentals), it's way too limiting.

That said, I don't think every reader needs to invest in an e-ink device, especially if they don't actually read much.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #60
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
My personal experience is that many people who have never seen an ereader in life think they're similar to tablets. So they see no point in getting one if they already have a tablet. When I offered my Oasis 2 to my niece (who admittedly doesn't read much), she wasn't interested at first. She said she prefers paper. But later, when she had actually tried to read with the Oasis, she liked it. I don't think she's unique in this.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote