Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #1
Pompom
Pompom began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx
Help! Reading slump

Hi!
I have a reading slump. I used to read like five-six books a month or even more if time allowed me but recently I hit the wall. I got totally stuck on one of Kristin Hannah's books (sorry!), I finished it but it was a struggle and I hit a slump since then. What can I do? Can you recommend something else, something to break the terrible slump? Should I get out of my comfort zone and try to read something totally different than I used to? How do you deal with the reading slump?
Pompom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:01 AM   #2
gunbad
Zealot
gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gunbad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4
I feel your pain! I know the feeling well. The way I get past that wall is switching to short stories. There's something about nice quick reads that helps me get over my slump.
gunbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I can relate too. We probably each have to find our own path out, but rereading an old favourite has worked for me. It’s pleasant but not very demanding. I also try to give myself some space, rather than force it.

You mention making yourself finish a book you didn’t enjoy. I used to do that too, but I’ve decided that it’s better to move on. If you’re reading for pleasure, there’s no sin in giving up on a book that’s become a grind.

Good luck!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 02:38 PM   #4
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Is there a new(er) book out by an author you know you enjoy?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #5
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompom View Post
Hi!
I have a reading slump. I used to read like five-six books a month or even more if time allowed me but recently I hit the wall. I got totally stuck on one of Kristin Hannah's books (sorry!), I finished it but it was a struggle and I hit a slump since then. What can I do? Can you recommend something else, something to break the terrible slump? Should I get out of my comfort zone and try to read something totally different than I used to? How do you deal with the reading slump?
I will often read a few short stories, or reread a couple of old favorite books. That usually gets me going again. Or pick up a couple of magazines in a topic you're interested in, and read those for a few days. It's not a race, man. Just relax and enjoy things. You'll get back around to reading again at your own pace. I mean, it's not like there's a rule that you must read 6 books every month, right?
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2021, 05:14 AM   #6
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I can relate to that too but in a different way. I can get so enthralled with a book that nothing else seems to strike my fancy. It takes a bit to get interested in something else as I don't believe anything else will suffice.

Which Kristin Hannah book? Nightingale was one of her books I found enthralling. It was hard to put down. I didn't have to slog through it.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:40 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When in a reading slump, I find it helps to find a book you want to read that's an easy read and not too long.

Another possible solution is to try an audiobook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Why do you need to get out of it? If you don't feel like reading, don't read.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:20 AM   #9
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
When I feel like reading but can't settle down to anything in particular, I'll use search to narrow the available books to a subset that I might want to read and then use the Find Random Book option on the main menu of my Calibre Companion app and read a chapter of whatever book pops up. If I don't feel like continuing that book I'll pick another random book until I settle on a book I do want to read. On particularly restless days where I want to feel like I've finished something, I'll stick to anthologies.

This can also be done with the Pick a random book option in the Calibre Library menu.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Why do you need to get out of it? If you don't feel like reading, don't read.
This! Maybe you just need a break. Nothing wrong with that.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:34 PM   #11
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you abide by the rule to always finish a book, my first recommendation would be to jettison that. Nothing takes the fun out of reading like flogging yourself to finish a dud book. If you do that then you can use your local library and go through lots of books until you find authors you like, or Project Gutenberg, Faded Page, etc.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote