Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-08-2021, 11:13 AM   #31
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempiter View Post
I’ve just come across this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Presen.../dp/B004G8QI3U

The sample at Amazon (and elsewhere) has no copyright page. Moreover, I cannot find the book at the publisher’s website.
The Copyright Police will not bother you, the PURCHASER. Amazon has deep pockets.

If you do discover a stinker, drop a dime if you care to help the Author.
It is NOT our JOB to do an in depth search on the Rights assignments when we buy from a reputable dealer.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The Copyright Police will not bother you, the PURCHASER. Amazon has deep pockets.

If you do discover a stinker, drop a dime if you care to help the Author.
It is NOT our JOB to do an in depth search on the Rights assignments when we buy from a reputable dealer.
No, it’s not our job. But it usually doesn’t require an in-depth search and I strongly prefer not to line the pockets of pirates as well as letting Amazon take a cut when they fail to do due diligence or act on reports. When I see something that’s obviously a bootleg edition, I walk away - even if I’d buy at that price and won’t buy at the copyright price.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:52 PM   #33
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Issy
You said it. Obvious Bootleg. No need to dig further.

OTOH if I was not a MR member, reading here.
how would the average Joe know it was a bootleg? All they see is the Catalog entry and remembering one of their friends recommended the Title or Author.
No mention of Not available for e-readers was made (because THEY have it in dead tree form).

Folk who KNOW (or have a good reason to suspect), should use the Report button Amazon provides (they DO care).
Old 04-08-2021, 02:09 PM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Folk who KNOW (or have a good reason to suspect), should use the Report button Amazon provides (they DO care).
Smashwords doesn't care. I've reported the same bogus Mary Stewart eBook a number of times and it's still up for sale.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:22 PM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
You need to report to the Rights Holder, not a retailer.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #36
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
Jon,

You say that, and have said it repeatedly - even side tracking other threads about it, but when Smashwords says they have proof from the publisher that those Mary Stewart books are legit you don't seem to care and keep bringing this up.

Where is your proof that this is not legitimate?

The publisher knows and hasn't done anything, Smashwords knows and supposedly has proof that it's ok. Why do you keep saying that Smashwords is wrong? How could you know that? And, given that the publisher apparently doesn't care, why do you even care?

Last edited by Dazrin; 04-08-2021 at 03:23 PM. Reason: directed at Jon, not Quoth.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:07 AM   #37
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
You need to report to the Rights Holder, not a retailer.
Yep, the process is that the rights holder has to submit a take down not some random customer. Can you imagine the mischief that people could do reporting books they don't like as pirated copies?

Amazon doesn't do due diligence. Their business model is to outsource that to the publisher. They will only act if the copyright holder sends them a take down notice or if customers complain about the quality of the book.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:56 AM   #38
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yep, the process is that the rights holder has to submit a take down not some random customer. Can you imagine the mischief that people could do reporting books they don't like as pirated copies?

Amazon doesn't do due diligence. Their business model is to outsource that to the publisher. They will only act if the copyright holder sends them a take down notice or if customers complain about the quality of the book.
Rant On:

I wish Google would do this too with small businesses. Anyone else with a Google business page? I constantly get emails from Google telling me that a customer has suggested different business hours for my store. If I do not take the time to login to my page and tell them that I want to keep my hours as they are, Google will unilaterally make the suggested hours permanent. It is my business if I want to change my hours I will. I do not need Google telling me when I should be open. :Rant Off
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #39
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Rant On:

I wish Google would do this too with small businesses. Anyone else with a Google business page? I constantly get emails from Google telling me that a customer has suggested different business hours for my store. If I do not take the time to login to my page and tell them that I want to keep my hours as they are, Google will unilaterally make the suggested hours permanent. It is my business if I want to change my hours I will. I do not need Google telling me when I should be open. :Rant Off
Apache
That's crazy!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:14 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Jon,

You say that, and have said it repeatedly - even side tracking other threads about it, but when Smashwords says they have proof from the publisher that those Mary Stewart books are legit you don't seem to care and keep bringing this up.

Where is your proof that this is not legitimate?

The publisher knows and hasn't done anything, Smashwords knows and supposedly has proof that it's ok. Why do you keep saying that Smashwords is wrong? How could you know that? And, given that the publisher apparently doesn't care, why do you even care?
If this so called publisher had the rights for the Mary Stewart Arthurian books, why aren't all of them released in the US? These are big books that would be easily able to be published at various eBook shops in the US easily.

The rights do exist in the UK and all of the eBooks are available there. But in the US, the entire series is not available. The publisher is not a real publisher and it is bogus. It looks like it's a scan/OCR.

This is bogus and Smahswords is not doing anything about it. The rights holders are also not doing a thing about it.

What is it to you that someone cares about this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #41
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
That's crazy!

'We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone'

I've thrown ranters OUT of my shop (Legitimate complaints, get taken care of. Bullies are shown the door)
Old 04-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #42
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW2, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If this so called publisher had the rights for the Mary Stewart Arthurian books, why aren't all of them released in the US? These are big books that would be easily able to be published at various eBook shops in the US easily.

The rights do exist in the UK and all of the eBooks are available there. But in the US, the entire series is not available. The publisher is not a real publisher and it is bogus. It looks like it's a scan/OCR.

This is bogus and Smahswords is not doing anything about it. The rights holders are also not doing a thing about it.

What is it to you that someone cares about this?
I care because it has been said so many times and has derailed threads over something that appears to be just your opinion, not fact. Smashwords has said that they do have proof that the publisher is legitimate.

From a Smashwords employee in one of the side tracked threads:
Quote:
It looks like a report of fraud was investigated and proof of rights by this publisher was provided. (I have nothing to do with this part of our site, but was able to see that this was done.)
That quote is a direct response to you and your allegations but you chose to completely ignore it and continue your rant and continue bashing Smashwords for it whenever you get a chance.

As you said, the rights holders aren't doing anything about it. So either they don't care or, like Smashwords has reported, the publisher is legit. Either way, please let it go.

I'm done. Go ahead and get your last word in.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote