Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-01-2021, 02:25 PM   #46
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For March, 2021, the University of Chicago free ebook is The Safe House by Christophe Boltanski.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this ebook is a PDF format.
Ugh, I just can't read a PDF novel. Tech books are fine in PDF but otherwise it's EPUB or I won't read it. Too bad because it sounds like a great book. Maybe my library has it ...
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:14 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Ugh, I just can't read a PDF novel. Tech books are fine in PDF but otherwise it's EPUB or I won't read it. Too bad because it sounds like a great book. Maybe my library has it ...
My library shows it as not owned. Sadly both Kobo and Amazon price the ebook beyond what I am willing to pay for it.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:47 PM   #48
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My library shows it as not owned. Sadly both Kobo and Amazon price the ebook beyond what I am willing to pay for it.
Same here.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:00 AM   #49
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
I tend not to read PDFs of books straight through unless they're manuals or exceptional and rare.

But I did grab this PDF in the hopes that, someday, eReaders will handle PDFs as adroitly as other eBook formats. Perhaps the Forma does now, but I wouldn't know.

Anyway, thanks for mentioning this shortly before the end of the month. I wonder whether a new book will be offered later in the morning.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #50
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Chancing on this old thread made me remember this month's free ebook, which someone here might want:

Darwin Deleted: Imagining a World without Darwin, by Peter J. Bowler

I wish the thesis weren't quite so narrow, but it's a world deviser's delight to consider a present when people fear natural selection. And I love the idea of "Haeckelism."
Old 07-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #51
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
Another PDF but in case you’re interested:

The Dawn of the Deed:
The Prehistoric Origins of Sex*
By John A. Long

296 pages | © 2012
free ebook for July (Cloth List Price $26.00 | ISBN: 9780226492544*| October 2012)
“You are now holding a compromise between a book that you should carry hidden inside an opaque bag, and a sober respectable scientific treatise. It′s a deliciously written account of the evolution of sex, in all of its bizarre manifestations. Read, blush, and enjoy.”—*Jared Diamond, author of Guns, Germs, and Steel

New free e-book every month from the University of Chicago Press ebook
https://press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

Last edited by Mims; 07-03-2021 at 04:12 PM. Reason: To post link
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:11 PM   #52
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mims View Post
"Read, blush, and enjoy.”—*Jared Diamond, author of Guns, Germs, and Steel
Yes, the wink-wink-nudge-nudge seemed a tad overbearing this time from cover to chapter titles, but I downloaded the free book anyway in case there was secret content and I'd managed to read everything else first.
Old 06-01-2022, 12:02 PM   #53
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

An epub this month but you will need ADE to deal with DRM
Might be of interest to all the Mobile Readers interested in Westerns.

The Badlands
A novel

It’s 1883 in Johnson County, in the old Dakota Territory—a rugged, wide-open landscape of rolling, red earth, prairie, and cattle as far as the eye can see. But the land is closing, the “Beef Bonanza” is ending, and the free-range cattlemen are stuck watching a way of life disappear in a blaze of drought and gunfire.

An action-packed western from one of the masters of the genre, Oakley Hall’s*The Bad Lands*blends roundups and rustlers, whorehouses and land grabs, shoot-outs and the threat of hangings in a tale of the war between the cowboys and the cattle barons. But more than this, it is an elegy to the wild beauty of the badlands before the ranchers moved in, chased off the free-rangers, the trappers, and the tribes, and fenced it all in.

Readers unable to suppress an unfashionable yearning for a good story will be delighted with The Bad Lands. . . . The cast of whores, gunhands, buffalo hunters, and grizzled settlers is effectively put into play. . . . Hall has thrust his imagination into that time and that place, and has written quite a good book.”
—Larry McMurtry,*New York Times

https://press.uchicago.edu/books/freeEbook.html

Last edited by Mims; 06-01-2022 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 06-01-2022, 03:18 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
An epub this month but you will need ADE to deal with DRM
It's not ePub. It is PDF and for a novel, PDF is a terrible format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 05:14 PM   #55
Mims
Addict

You beat me to it! I was coming to post an apology. Not only is it shown in ade as a pdf but it is an unreadable pdf on my laptop screen without changing my computer setting to increase size of print. Also no page turns only scrolling. I sent it to my libra 2 from ADE and it send it as a pdf - again TOTALLY unreadable IMO.

Calibre imported both epub and pdf from ADE (Univ of Chi did say it could be sent to e readers). Edit Book showed each page as a png. OMG!

I did check Kobo and they sell the u of Chicago edition as epub2. So the university press is truly paranoid about what someone might do with their freebie.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:20 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You beat me to it! I was coming to post an apology. Not only is it shown in ade as a pdf but it is an unreadable pdf on my laptop screen without changing my computer setting to increase size of print. Also no page turns only scrolling. I sent it to my libra 2 from ADE and it send it as a pdf - again TOTALLY unreadable IMO.

Calibre imported both epub and pdf from ADE (Univ of Chi did say it could be sent to e readers). Edit Book showed each page as a png. OMG!

I did check Kobo and they sell the u of Chicago edition as epub2. So the university press is truly paranoid about what someone might do with their freebie.
IMHO, it's deceptive to not list it as PDF. I've since deleted it as I don't want PDF. I'd have read it had it been ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2024, 05:36 PM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The University of Chicago free book for this month is:

The Long and the Short of It
The Science of Life Span and Aging
Jonathan Silvertown

Quote:
“Potatoes live longer than kings,' sighs ecologist Silvertown. . . in this whimsical book on aging. Aging is a complex topic, but the author mixes art, science, and humor to brew a highly readable concoction, presenting one aging theory after another.” —Publishers Weekly
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote