Old 04-30-2020, 11:09 PM   #61
aldazo
Enthusiast
aldazo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
This is very strange..
Is there anything written in the "C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\KoHighlights\error_log_2020-xx-xx.txt" (xx-xx is month-day)?
Unfortunately, KOHighlights does not have a proper logging system..

There seems to be some problem with the PySide in your system.
I'm using Win7x64 SP1 myself.
Do you use the x86 version?

Another thing you can try is to install another app of mine (e.g. KataLib), that also uses the PySide library, to see how it goes.
First, sorry for the delayed answer. This is what is inside the error_log txt:

"
Crash@2020-04-30 21:55:59
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 265, in on_load
File "main.py", line 419, in read_books_from_db
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'setForwardOnly'
"

Katalib 2.23.6 works without issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Multiple displays? HiDPI?

(I'm thinking geometry issues, the window spawning OOB-ish or on the wrong screen).
First, sorry for the delayed answer. I don't have/use multiple displays nor HiDPI.

And thanks to all of you for your help.
aldazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #62
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldazo View Post
Crash@2020-04-30 21:55:59
It looks like there is a problem with the creation/accessing of the database file.

Is there a data.db file next to this error_log.txt?
If not, it means that something (an antivirus, Windows[?]) is preventing the program from creating one.
If there is, try to delete it and rerun the app. Maybe it is corrupted somehow.

Are all the messages in the error_logs the same?
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #63
aldazo
Enthusiast

Quote:
It looks like there is a problem with the creation/accessing of the database file.

Is there a data.db file next to this error_log.txt?
If not, it means that something (an antivirus, Windows[?]) is preventing the program from creating one.
If there is, try to delete it and rerun the app. Maybe it is corrupted somehow.

Are all the messages in the error_logs the same?
Hi, there isn't data.db file, not even hidden. This time I turned my antivirus off and run the program, I checked the error_log.txt file twice, the first time it looked same as before but the second time it looked like this:

"
Crash@2020-05-01 21:58:46

Crash@2020-05-01 21:59:16
File "main.py", line 2363, in auto_check4update
File "main.py", line 466, in get_db_book_count
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'exec_'
"
The third, fourth, etc time it looked same as above.
Then I turned the program off and proceed to open it again and the log looked like this:

"
Crash@2020-05-01 21:58:46

Crash@2020-05-01 21:59:16

Crash@2020-05-01 22:08:40

Crash@2020-05-01 22:09:10
"

I hope this give you more inside about my issue. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:53 AM   #64
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Well, this is really strange.

KOHighlights can't find the data.db file.
The weird part is that if there is no such file, it creates one.

The only way I could replicate this, was to create a directory named "data.db" inside "C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\KoHighlights\", so that it could not create a file with the same name.

I've attached a zip file that contains an empty data.db file.
Try to copy it to you directory, to see how it behaves.
Attached Files
File Type: zip data.zip (379 Bytes, 411 views)
Old 05-02-2020, 09:33 PM   #65
aldazo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, this is really strange.

KOHighlights can't find the data.db file.
The weird part is that if there is no such file, it creates one.
I've attached a zip file that contains an empty data.db file.
Try to copy it to you directory, to see how it behaves.
Hi, I copied the data.db file into the KoHighlights folder ("C:\Users\USER NAME\AppData\Roaming\KoHighlights\") but nothing changed. The error_log looks like this:

Crash@2020-05-02 20:09:34

Crash@2020-05-02 20:10:04

This time I closed any other programm but the result was the same, process running but with no UI display.

Now, even if you can not figure out what the solution is or maybe you are too busy with other tasks, I want to thank you for your help. The older version still works without issues.

I'm thinking the problem is my PC and not your software. Anyway, if you come across with another possible solution I will be ready to try it. Until then, have a nice weekend.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #66
embryo
Fanatic

Hm, its the same problem.

Is the data.db file where you copied or it disappeared again?
If its not there, something is deleting it.. You must find the culprit.
If its there, well..., it shouldn't give you this errors...

I'm really curious..
Old 05-04-2020, 04:07 PM   #67
aldazo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Is the data.db file where you copied or it disappeared again?
I'm really curious..
Hi, I copied de data.db and it didn't dissapeared. First I copy the data.db and proceeded to start the process, it didn't dissapeared. Then I added the data.zip, both in the same directory (C:\Users\Usuario\AppData\Roaming\KoHighlights), and again neither dissapeared. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:42 PM   #68
embryo
Fanatic

Its getting stranger and stranger...

No need for the zip in the folder. The data.db is the file that the app is looking for.
Since it can't find nor create a database, maybe there is a problem with SQlite.

One thing you can try is to re-install the app but after you have disabled any antivirus or anti-spyware or whatever might block some files from getting installed right.

I'm sorry I can't propose anything else, but I'm out of ideas..
Old 05-07-2020, 07:04 PM   #69
aldazo
Enthusiast

Quote:
One thing you can try is to re-install the app but after you have disabled any antivirus or anti-spyware or whatever might block some files from getting installed right.
I think I already did that but I will try again later today and give you my report. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:37 AM   #70
aldazo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Its getting stranger and stranger...

No need for the zip in the folder. The data.db is the file that the app is looking for.
Since it can't find nor create a database, maybe there is a problem with SQlite.

I'm sorry I can't propose anything else, but I'm out of ideas..
Yes! You were right. I disabled my antivirus before even downloading de setup.exe, keep it disabled, installed koreader highlights (version 1.0.0 because did not tried it never before), launched it, saw it worked, updated it to 1.2.2, saw it still worked, closed it, enabled back the antivirus, proceeded to inform you.

Now I'm not sure if the first time I installed version 1.1.0 (days ago after 1.2.2 had the "no display" issue) I disabled the antivirus before downloading the setup.exe or after it. But I am sure I installed version 1.1.0 with the antivirus disabled and it still had the issue. In any case the antivirus failed to warn me about any modifcation it did to the file.

To be honest I was giving to the idea of using the older python version but your last suggestion did the trick. Hope this helps to anybody that come across the same issue.

Finally I want to thank you for your patience and disposition to help me. Now I can enjoy my readings even more.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:33 PM   #71
embryo
Fanatic

Great news!
That means that I don't have to use my Voodoo dolls and pins for this..

Glad you made it..
Old 05-16-2020, 03:04 PM   #72
embryo
Fanatic

• Updated to v1.3.0.0
    • Option to sync/merge a loaded book with a metadata file from any location.
    • Option to recalculate (and re-save in the metadata) the MD5 for a book.
    • Option to open the selected book's metadata location with the system's file manager.
    • Keyboard shortcuts to copy selected highlights/comments.
    • All found "metadata.lua" files are loaded (if more than one are present in the .sdr directory).
    • When checking if two books are the same (for sync/merge), the app now uses any MD5 present in the book's metadata, and if none exists, it calculates one.
    • Fixed: Canceling export of highlights still opened a "Success" dialog.
    • Fixed: Sometimes the modified date had decimal digits.
    • Fixed: Some cosmetic bugs.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #73
everdred
everdred began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Remarkable 2, Android, Linux
Because of the different page formats and sizes, some page numbers in KOHighlights might be inaccurate.

Is this warning still accurate? I've only tried syncing highlights for one book so far, but that one it worked as expected, even though KOHighlights detected a different number of pages for the two copies of the book.
everdred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:32 PM   #74
embryo
Fanatic

AFAIK KOReaders stores the current page number as key for every highlight it creates.
The page number can change even inside the same book if the font size changes.
Between different devices, it must be close to imposible to keep the same page count.
If this is still the case, then yes, I think the warning is still accurate.
Old 12-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #75
MagnaNime
MagnaNime began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 2 | Kobo Glo Hd
Hello everybody ! I’m very new in this forum but I’m a big fan of KOreader. As a phd student, I’m using it every day to read and highlight all my little stuffs. I must say, it’s a very very usefull tool ! Recently I discovered KoHighlights. I wanted to ask a small question to @embryo (because so far as I understand, you developed the new version of KoHighlights). I hope this is the right place : Have you plane to develop an another export possibility in KoHighlights ? I mean CSV for instance. I am managing until now with excel functions to convert the txt file to an xlsx file but maybe it could be not so complicated to ad CSV as an opportunity. Maybe it is possible to do it in command line but I unfortunately absolutely don’t know anything about Python...
MagnaNime is offline   Reply With Quote