Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-02-2021, 12:12 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Rather coincidentally, I just started a recent purchase that fits, Abigail by Magda Szabó. At the start of WWII, a girl in Budapest is sent to a repressive boarding school by her father, with no explanation. I don’t want to spoil myself by reading squibs, but it’s obvious that her time at school will be one of unexpected twists and slow revelations. I’m enjoying it so far.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:23 PM   #17
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Rather coincidentally, I just started a recent purchase that fits, Abigail by Magda Szabó. At the start of WWII, a girl in Budapest is sent to a repressive boarding school by her father, with no explanation. I don’t want to spoil myself by reading squibs, but it’s obvious that her time at school will be one of unexpected twists and slow revelations. I’m enjoying it so far.
Oooh! Thanks!

Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2021, 01:12 PM   #18
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I posted this in the Bargains forum, but I thought I should mention it here because this book doesn't seem to go on sale very often...
"Possession" by A. S. Byatt is on sale! Grab this one if you've been waiting for it -- or if you're into dark academia, novels about academics, etc. The regular digital price is $14.99.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OLYPW2...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
Old 09-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #19
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I realized that Dorothy L. Sayers’s Gaudy Night fits the criteria very closely.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #20
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
I realized that Dorothy L. Sayers’s Gaudy Night fits the criteria very closely.
I've seen it included in dark academia lists.

I started to make a Word file based on my Amazon "Dark Academia" wishlist and suggestions here. (It was necessary because my wishlist wasn't in alphabetical order within category order.) Once I've updated it, I'll try posting it here if anybody wants a copy.
Advert
Old 11-13-2021, 06:15 AM   #21
Critteranne
Guru

The Secret History

The Secret History by Donna Tartt is $3.99 today. This is considered by many to be one of the most influential Dark Academia books.
Old 12-18-2021, 01:23 PM   #22
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I just finished The Hawthorne School by Sylvie Perry, which I've seen described as dark academia. It's about a young, naive mother who enrolls her badly behaved four-year-old in an exclusive private school. It was OK, though it's hard to believe anyone could be as willfully naive and downright stupid as this mother. Then again, there are people who wear tinfoil hats and think JFK Jr. will resurrect, so maybe this character is more realistic than I want to believe.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 04:07 PM   #23
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I just finished The Hawthorne School by Sylvie Perry, which I've seen described as dark academia. It's about a young, naive mother who enrolls her badly behaved four-year-old in an exclusive private school. It was OK, though it's hard to believe anyone could be as willfully naive and downright stupid as this mother. Then again, there are people who wear tinfoil hats and think JFK Jr. will resurrect, so maybe this character is more realistic than I want to believe.
I think a lot of psychological suspense novel plots would unravel if the heroines (it's usually the heroines, darn it!) had any common sense.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:21 PM   #24
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
I think a lot of psychological suspense novel plots would unravel if the heroines (it's usually the heroines, darn it!) had any common sense.
This heroine, however, seems to have less common sense than her four-year-old!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:25 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

What has turned out to be my favorite novel of this year (published this year and read by me), The Latinist by Mark Prins I noticed was frequently tagged as Dark Academia at Goodreads or I’d not have made the association. I’d not have expected such palpable tension in a fiction about classical academics at Oxford, but there you are.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #26
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
What has turned out to be my favorite novel of this year (published this year and read by me), The Latinist by Mark Prins I noticed was frequently tagged as Dark Academia at Goodreads or I’d not have made the association. I’d not have expected such palpable tension in a fiction about classical academics at Oxford, but there you are.
Thank you, that looks good. I look forward to reading it.
I've never heard the phrase Dark Academia, but academia is certainly a wicked world if the late great C. P. Snow's immortal Strangers and Brothers series is to be believed.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #27
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Thanks for the tip on The Latinist issybird.

I think Dickens' Nicholas Nickleby might fit the genre.

Last edited by Bookpossum; 12-05-2022 at 07:50 PM.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:33 AM   #28
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The Scholomance series by Naomi Novik fits here. And Grossman's The Magicians, of course.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
academia, aesthetics, dark academia, light academia