Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 06:40 AM   #46
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Signed Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura v2, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Speaking of buttons, how are they? Do they seem too mushy, clicky, or loose? I was always dissatisfied with the way the buttons felt on the 600. They just did not feel very solid. Also, they have enough space around them that crumbs or particles of dirt easily get caught in the slots.
The buttons are solid, however the same problem could be applied here regarding dust ; there and possibly all around the IR frame.
Squirsier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirsier View Post
Okay, I have a new development in "my slowdown issues" which, up to tonight, thought it due to a badly formatted LRF... Turns out my issue was.... artificial sun.

I feel like an idiot not seeing this before. I often read in a lounge chair with an halogen lamp attached to it, and as you probably know, halogen lamps give out a lot of heat. The reader is always about 1 -2 foot away from it, depending where I attach the lamp. Sometimes I like to turn off all lamps in the room and just have the halogen lamp on - like tonight, so I put it closer.

Tonight, I was reading another LRF book and the problem started happening after about 40 pages. Then something in my head clicked - the damn heat from the lamp. I let the book rest for 5 mins, went to my bed and started reading from there with just a regular table lamp on a beside table and all was fine, read 60 pages w/o issues. Went back to the lounge chair, read 30 pages, this time doing it on purpose to have the reader closer to the halogen lamp and voila - slowdown.

I feel stupid not having thought about this sooner. This explain why a) the reader seemed to work fine after letting it, presumably, cooldown for several minutes before starting to read again and b) why I had this issue seemingly in a random fashion all weekend - I used the reading room upstairs during the day and the bedroom at night, where my lounge chair and halogen lamp is.

Well, I figured I better clarify things here. It's the heat, not the file's format that's the issue.

I'm curious if anyone else would have the same issue...!
Has this also occurred with an ePub book? I can buy into heat being a cause for slowdowns, but just curious if it has happened while reading something besides LRFs. I think I'll go out and read a bit with mine this afternoon. Hopefully I won't melt!

BTW, if it is heat related, then the number of pages read is probably not important. It is more likely related to how hot the inside of the reader or how hot the screen gets. So time exposure to heat should be more relevant than pages read.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-16-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #48
jswinden
Nameless Being

350 does slow down in heat, but it is not a big deal

I just completed a heat test with my 350. I sat outside in the shade, no sunlight ever touched the reader, for an hour with the temperature at 90 degrees F, the humidity at 45%, and the heat index at 93 degrees. The entire time I had the 350 on and was reading a 1426 page ePub book at my normal pace. The reader was inside a Case Logic padded case during the test. In retrospect I probably should have removed it from this case as it is heavily padded and thus provides some degree of insulation to the back and sides. But I did not want to drop my 350 naked onto concrete!

I read for about 40 minutes before I became aware that the 350 might be slowing down as far as page turn speed. By the end of the hour the slow down was indeed quite noticeable. I came back inside and did my best to time the page turning speed with a stopwatch, though I found that difficult. But my best guess is that from initial finger contact to begin the swipe through the page turn was appx. 1.5 seconds. I was doing very fast swipes. The page turns were slow enough that the process of inverting the screen was extremely visible. That is, the screen turns black with light lettering then turns light with black lettering for the new page. The black screen seemed to last quite a while. I'm not sure what a normal speed is when page turning, but it takes considerably less time.

However, I can live with 1.5 second page turns when in the heat as I will seldom be reading in that temperature. No other slow down or erratic behavior was noticed. At worst, I find this to be a very minor issue.

Since the K3s also exhibit this issue, I have to think it might be the Pearl screen. I doubt that the K3 and 350 use the same processor, but if they do that could be the problem as well--if processor gets too hot it might slow down the system. I have not tried this test with my K3 yet, but I probably will soon. Note, the K3 page turns are probably twice the speed of the 350 when I do side by side comparisons using the same book on each.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-16-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #49
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Thanks for the info. From what you say, it sounds like the slow downs make reading little, if any, worse that say reading on the old 505. Granted, it might be worse sitting with in in direct sunlight, or perhaps in a hot car. However, like you, these are not my preferred venues for reading.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:51 PM   #50
jswinden
Nameless Being

Squirsier, how much of a slow down did you notice? Try to put it into time, as in seconds. If your slow down is a lot different from what I encountered then there could be something else going on. If not, then this slow down does not seem to be a big deal to me.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-16-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #51
Squirsier
Addict
Squirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseSquirsier juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Squirsier, how much of a slow down did you notice? Try to put it into time, as in seconds. If your slow down is a lot different from what I encountered then there could be something else going on. If not, then this slow down does not seem to be a big deal to me.
I haven't timed it, but it looks to me like the old PRS-300 turn page time, maybe slightly slower but not by much, still enough to annoy a bit.

No, haven't tested this with ePub yet, but I did test those LRF on my PRS-300 and they all worked flawlessly. However, for the sake of science and whatnot, I'll test with an ePub tonight
Old 09-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #52
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just popped over to a thread on the KindleBoards: http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...c,35798.0.html

In frazzledglispa's thread he/she states about the K3 page turn slow down pretty much what I described a couple posts above.

frazzledglispa states:
Quote:
Today I read outside in direct sunlight for the first time at about 230 in the afternoon, about 89 degrees and I noticed that the page turns were quite slow. Slow enough to make out words when the inverted color refresh was happening. After I came back inside I got distracted (work, you know) and checked the page turns and they were back to normal.
If that is what they are experiencing it seems to be the same thing I experienced and sounds like what Squirsier experienced. So once more I have to say this is really a non-issue for Kindles and Sonys. It is no more than a minor inconvenience that has been blown way out of proportion by this forum and other forums like the KindleBoards.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:13 PM   #53
Squirsier
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
If that is what they are experiencing it seems to be the same thing I experienced and sounds like what Squirsier experienced. So once more I have to say this is really a non-issue for Kindles and Sonys. It is no more than a minor inconvenience that has been blown way out of proportion by this forum and other forums like the KindleBoards.
Yeup, that's exactly what I've seen, and the bit about how it comes back to normal after a few out of the heat is what I've been saying since the beginning.

Big deal or not, it still is an issue with the Pearl screen that I am somewhat confused as to how the company manufacturing the screens missed that one!

But unless you constantly read outside (or under an halogen lamp close by) where it's always warm, not that big a deal, no.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #54
jswinden
Nameless Being

But in all fairness to Viziplex and Sony and Amazon, they rate the screen for up to 95 degrees F, so we were taking it to the edge of its design parameters.

From the 350 User Guide, "On heat build-up: Heat may build up in the Reader while charging, or if it is used for an extended period of time."

And from the 350 Marketing specs, "Operating Conditions: Operating Temperature: 41° F to 95° F (5°C to 35° C)"
Old 09-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #55
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Over in another thread, there are some saying that their K3's sometimes slow down and some are saying it could be the sun.

So, what I'd like is 350 & 650 owners to take their Readers out into the sun and let it ge nice and hot and try it and see if the page turns slow down. I'm trying to figure out if this is a K3 issue or a Pearl issue. I'm really hoping it's a K3 issue and not a Pearl issue. But I don't have a 350 or 650 and cannot try it. I won't have a new Reader until maybe November.
Well, heat is energy and no electronics really like to have a bunch of uncontrolled energy within its case. Try leaving a calculator in your car on a sunny day! Whether it's the screen or the rest of the unit, it sounds like the K3 is not the device you want on a tropical vacation!

It could be worse, the sun could slow down in the presence of a K3.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #56
nightfell
nightfell began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350, had PRS-300
Hi all, first time caller long time listener.

I've searched the sony forum here about the page turn slowness. Has anyone been able to figure out what the cause is? I know it's not heat for me I can be in either a cool place or a warm place, I'm not near a light source that generates heat. The slowness could happen at page 30 or 300. When it does slow down the average wait time is 5 seconds, but it can some times be more. Actually swiping or using the page turn buttons doesn't matter either. So far I've been only reading epubs on it, I haven't tried a pdf yet.
nightfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #57
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfell View Post
Hi all, first time caller long time listener.

I've searched the sony forum here about the page turn slowness. Has anyone been able to figure out what the cause is? I know it's not heat for me I can be in either a cool place or a warm place, I'm not near a light source that generates heat. The slowness could happen at page 30 or 300. When it does slow down the average wait time is 5 seconds, but it can some times be more. Actually swiping or using the page turn buttons doesn't matter either. So far I've been only reading epubs on it, I haven't tried a pdf yet.
What you are experiencing is almost certainly a separate issue. While reading EPUBs you might experience an occasional delay while turning the page. This is caused by the reader having to unpack and compile a new section of the document. EPUBs are broken up into 260k segments. It also sometimes takes longer to a turn a page when the page contains graphics. These delays will generally only affect one page turn.

The slow down experienced in the sun is definitely heat related. It is a general slow down and affects all page turns as long as the reader is warm. The slow down is, however, quite modest -- perhaps 1.5 seconds a page turn at most in my experience.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote