Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 11:03 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Request for authors who write series books

I would love it if authors who write series books can make more of an effort to easily indicate series order in the book descriptions. Twice in the last week, an author was recommended to me and when I went to Smashwords to check them out, they had many books listed. It was not clear to me which to read first, so I did nothing. A simple indicator, either in the title itself (e.g. Title of Book, Book 1 in the Bookseries Series) or in the book description itself would be a huge help. It would be a shame to lose a reader just because they didn't know where to start!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I have a certain fondness for authors like Sue Grafton for that very reason.

Besides, it will make life much easier for future researchers. I've been working on a major project -- compiling a list of every boys' series book (think Tom Swift, etc.) prior to 1940. Mostly, this involves spending a lot of time on Google Books and the Internet Archive, rummaging around in the backs of bad scans, looking for the lists of other series by the same publisher so I can figure out where "The Boy Geniuses Save the World" fits in its series. So, series authors, think of the future! Don't make your future fans suffer like I have! (if I could call up Edward Stratemeyer's ghost, I'd scream "you should have numbered the damn things!!!" at him).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
Falbe Publishing
Gadget Slave
Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falbe Publishing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS505SC
No problem! As a series author, I put the book number in the subtitle of the book. I know the frustration you are talking about. I often have to dig through a couple pages of front matter to find out if a book is a first in the series or 2 or 3 and so on. I don't know why this info is often so hard to spot.
Falbe Publishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:46 PM   #4
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Could not agree more. I often have to use Fantastic fiction to determine order of ebook series. Then I rename the ebook file and the metadata to reflect my chosen naming convention;

[series name book number] - [book title]
Lost Fleet 03 - Courageous

Here is an appropriate Fantastic Fiction link for the example above;

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/jack-campbell/

It would be nice if the original downloaded ebook title reflected some form of series order.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 AM   #5
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
FictionDB is a similar resource.

Sadly, neither seem to include exclusive ebook releases.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 01:34 AM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I also agree that this is frustrating. Even if it doesn't really matter and there isn't much of a continuing story, I still want to read them in order.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Ooh, I totally agree with this sentiment. Even for those who list the books on a page inside the book, they're not always in the order they were written. Sometimes it's the opposite.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #8
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
The listings at Goodreads.com usually indicate the volume number of books in a series. Just go to the page for author.

I'm usually at Goodreads anyways before I buy, to check out the reviews. So it's a logical place for me to go to get that info.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
dougf4
Connoisseur
dougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-booksdougf4 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Tablet (Rooted), jetbook lite
I totally agree.

One of my favorite authors, CJ Box does not number his "Joe Picket" Mysteries.

Janet Evanovich used witty numbering in her titles when creating her "Stephanie Plum" series.
dougf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #10
agstenmanor
agstenmanor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agstenmanor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agstenmanor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agstenmanor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.agstenmanor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Authors of Series

In response to a few comments made, a librarian gave me this website to use to find out about authors that write series, and they are in chronological order.

http://ww2.kdl.org/libcat/WhatsNextNEW.asp

My new favorite site, since I like to read series, and also like to start at the beginning. The website is done by Kent State, and there is also a book available for about $32.
agstenmanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I always figure that first-published-date is as good as anything. Even for those series that end up writing prequels or inserting in the middle of a series, it often makes more sense to read in the order they were released than any inner story chronology. ... Of course if you are looking at older books, they were not always very good at providing first published dates which can make life difficult.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I have a certain fondness for authors like Sue Grafton for that very reason.
I'll be really interested when she finishes "Z" and starts again with double letters:

"AA is for Aardvark"
"BB is for Gun"
"CC is for Ryder"
"DD is for Strippers"

Etc.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Just adding my voice. Annoys me when I actually have to research to work out what the order is supposed to be.

Regards
Caleb

Last edited by caleb72; 01-07-2011 at 09:30 PM.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 PM   #14
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I would love it if authors who write series books can make more of an effort to easily indicate series order in the book descriptions. Twice in the last week, an author was recommended to me and when I went to Smashwords to check them out, they had many books listed. It was not clear to me which to read first, so I did nothing. A simple indicator, either in the title itself (e.g. Title of Book, Book 1 in the Bookseries Series) or in the book description itself would be a huge help. It would be a shame to lose a reader just because they didn't know where to start!
The author ought to simply include a page with their other books and the order in which they were published. I sometimes struggled with the same problem.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:25 AM   #15
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Thank you for pointing this out. I am only on my second book of a series at the moment, but I've made no mention of mentioning series order. Honestly, I haven't figured out what the name of the series is yet. *sigh*.

From this point on, I will note that each book is in a series and where it's at in the series. For books not in a series, I will state that they are 'stand alone' books.

Thank you very much for the advice.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote