Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
rysiu
rysiu began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
how to make chapters?

Hello, im new with using Calibre program, how to make chapters on book, every chapter in this book is text which has font size 14, thanks for any assistance!
rysiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rysiu View Post
Hello, im new with using Calibre program, how to make chapters on book, every chapter in this book is text which has font size 14, thanks for any assistance!
I don't have experience with this but the manual has info here and here.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
rysiu

I'm trying to make some .epub books, like this one(in attachments).

I can't find how to do that, is there any tutorial how to make .epub book like this one?
The tutorial from calibre didnt help me much, i'm not much experienced with xhtml/css code.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Grimm's Fairy Tales.epub (210.9 KB, 275 views)
Old 05-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm trying to make some .epub books, like this one(in attachments).

I can't find how to do that, is there any tutorial how to make .epub book like this one?
The tutorial from calibre didnt help me much, i'm not much experienced with xhtml/css code.
Try Sigil (the beta version)
Using books that have styles that you like (The visual style, not the authors )

Open the part you like the looks of in "code" view
look at the style tags associated wit the section you like.

Now open the (applicable) CSS (near the bottom of the book-viewer list on the left) find that style section. borrow/copy the parts you like into your CSS (remember the C is for cascade).

tweak values to taste.

repeat until done
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
rysiu

I opened .epub in Sigil but dont know what to do here, there is just css code..

What to write in chapter detection to detect chapters by font size, every chapter in book i want to convert has 14 font size and is bold.

Hm or maybe you can little help me, this is the book i want to convert and make chapters by font size and bold, thanks for any advices!
Attached Files
File Type: rtf Ksiega robotow - Stanislaw Lem.rtf (654.3 KB, 2497 views)

Last edited by rysiu; 05-30-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Advert
Old 05-30-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I opened .epub in Sigil but dont know what to do here, there is just css code..

What to write in chapter detection to detect chapters by font size, every chapter in book i want to convert has 14 font size and is bold.

Hm or maybe you can little help me, this is the book i want to convert and make chapters by font size and bold, thanks for any advices!
That book converted from RTF to EPUB by using the default settings of Calibre.
Opening the converted book in Sigil showed that the conversion appears successful (I do not read the books language)
A nested TOC was generated that matched what appears to be Part and chapters.
Jumping to a chapter, you could insert Sigil chapter breaks with small effort if you prefer reading with a new chapter starting on a fresh screen.

Total time to "pretty" up this book, was less than 10 minutes.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
When you open your book in OpenOffice.org, and click on the chapter titles you will see that they are all Heading1 or Heading2. Probably Microsoft Word will show the same. Now open the file in Calibre and click Convert E-books. Click Structure Detection and in Detect chapters at, enter the following expression:
Code:
//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']
Now convert to EPUB.
Find the generated ePub file in the Calibre document directory and open it in Sigil (or some other program that can open the CSS file for you). At the end of the CSS file enter the following code:
Code:
h1, h2 { text-align: center;
	text-transform: uppercase;
	font-weight: bold;
	}

Last edited by pietvo; 05-30-2010 at 10:53 PM.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:37 AM   #8
rysiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
When you open your book in OpenOffice.org, and click on the chapter titles you will see that they are all Heading1 or Heading2. Probably Microsoft Word will show the same. Now open the file in Calibre and click Convert E-books. Click Structure Detection and in Detect chapters at, enter the following expression:
Code:
//*[name()='h1' or name()='h2']
Now convert to EPUB.
Find the generated ePub file in the Calibre document directory and open it in Sigil (or some other program that can open the CSS file for you). At the end of the CSS file enter the following code:
Code:
h1, h2 { text-align: center;
	text-transform: uppercase;
	font-weight: bold;
	}

Thank You that works!!!!
So i have always to edit epub in sigil and add this css code, calibre cant do all job?
Old 05-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
rysiu

One more question, how to 'Table of contents' clickable, like in this epub book 'Grimm's Fairy Tales'. I want to make epub book from this one "Steve Andreas, Charles Faulkner - NLP" with hyperlinks on 'Table of contents'.

I think i probably have found a tutorial http://amalthia.mediawood.net/tutori...oks/index.html

Last edited by rysiu; 05-31-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
So i have always to edit epub in sigil and add this css code, calibre cant do all job?
Yes, in Calibre you can also add the extra CSS, in the Look and Feel dialog there is a box at the bottom for extra CSS. It's only that Sigil is easier for experimenting with the CSS, as it immediately shows the effect of your changes in the Book View. If you know what to add then inserting it in Calibre is easier.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote