Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
New Mark Twain

This has probably been posted as well given my current track record, but I just ran across it:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...l-1980695.html

"After keeping us waiting for a century, Mark Twain will finally reveal all

The great American writer left instructions not to publish his autobiography until 100 years after his death, which is now

By Guy Adams in Los Angeles

Sunday, 23 May 2010

Exactly a century after rumours of his death turned out to be entirely accurate, one of Mark Twain's dying wishes is at last coming true: an extensive, outspoken and revelatory autobiography which he devoted the last decade of his life to writing is finally going to be published."

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
You're on a roll Kenny.

After keeping us waiting for a century, Mark Twain will finally reveal all
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Well yeah, the that thread devolved from the very first post, into the typical copyright spewage.

I'm just looking forward to reading it!

It should be fascinating!
Old 05-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I agree, it should be fascinating and the copyright arguments should be left out of the lounge.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well yeah, the that thread devolved from the very first post, into the typical copyright spewage.
Please keep our guidelines in mind when you post. This sort of language is inappropriate and will not help to preserve the friendly ambiance and respectful discussion we try to foster here. We ask that you show respect to all our members no matter how much you may disagree with their opinions.

Quote:
I agree, it should be fascinating and the copyright arguments should be left out of the lounge.
I agree, WDE.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Please keep our guidelines in mind when you post. This sort of language is inappropriate and will not help to preserve the friendly ambiance and respectful discussion we try to foster here. We ask that you show respect to all our members no matter how much you may disagree with their opinions.

I agree, WDE.
What? I object to what you are saying here zelda. WHAT EXACTLY IS INAPPROPRIATE in what I said?

WHAT EXACTLY IS DISRESPECTFUL?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What? I object to what you are saying here zelda. WHAT EXACTLY IS INAPPROPRIATE in what I said?

WHAT EXACTLY IS DISRESPECTFUL?
Calling other people's discussion "typical spewage" is disrespectful. I am sure that if someone referred to your posts that way, you would not appreciate it.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:56 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Calling other people's discussion "typical spewage" is disrespectful. I am sure that if someone referred to your posts that way, you would not appreciate it.
Okay, in your opinion and as a moderator I respect that.....but you know as well as I do that the copyright threads get out of control and end up getting locked and they all follow a typical pattern. That particular thread started off with trolling and that's not what I want to discuss wrt this important publication. And when I say that, I get jumped on by a moderator. I think that is more out of line, more restrictive and more of an issue in restricting discussion on the topic than anything I said.

Sheesh!
Old 05-26-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
kennyc

Quote:
Oh and I've had certain individuals refer to some of my posts that way on numerous occasions as well as having been personally abused by them with little to no action on the parts of moderators even when tagged. So no, I could care less if someone refers to my posts with those words. It is not offensive in the lease IMO it is their opinion and they are welcome to it. Everyone should be free to express their opinion on whatever topic provided they do it in a civil manner and avoid personal attacks.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #10
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Okay, in your opinion and as a moderator I respect that.....but you know as well as I do that the copyright threads get out of control and end up getting locked and they all follow a typical pattern. That particular thread started off with trolling and that's not what I want to discuss wrt this important publication. And when I say that, I get jumped on by a moderator. I think that is more out of line, more restrictive and more of an issue in restricting discussion on the topic than anything I said.

Sheesh!
I agree with you 100% that a lot of discussions on copyright *do* get out of hand, primarily because people can't seem to manage to discuss the issues politely, which is a shame, because the question, at heart, is interesting and worth discussing.

And I can completely understand and support your wish that this thread stay on topic and avoid that subject.

But in that case, a better way to handle the issue would be to make a request like "Please stay on the topic of this thread". We can all understand that and (hopefully) respect that request, and as the Original Poster you are absolutely free to remind people of it if anyone shows signs of forgetting it, or to request that a moderator do so, POLITELY.

It's a question of tone, more than content, here, and I'm sure you can understand that.

Now, let's get back to the original topic of this thread, which is indeed a very interesting subject and worth discussing.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Oh and I've had certain individuals refer to some of my posts that way on numerous occasions as well as having been personally abused by them with little to no action on the parts of moderators even when tagged. So no, I could care less if someone refers to my posts with those words. It is not offensive in the lease IMO it is their opinion and they are welcome to it. Everyone should be free to express their opinion on whatever topic provided they do it in a civil manner and avoid personal attacks.
Kenny, if you see a post you find disrespectful, please report it to the moderators. Also know that we *do* take such reports seriously and we discuss the best way to handle them. Sometimes our actions are not public when we feel it would be more effective to directly address a specific person via pm, but we take them nonetheless.

As to your last sentence, that is *exactly* what I am requesting of you and of *everyone*, thank you for expressing it so well.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #12
kennyc

Thank You.

Now. Anyone want to discuss Mark Twain???
Old 05-26-2010, 09:06 AM   #13
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Wasn't he a book?
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Shyeah, right...

Quote:
Thank You.

Now. Anyone want to discuss Mark Twain???
Who? I thought I was here for the argument.

Seriously: I don't suppose anyone knows whether we'll get an ebook out of this?

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 05-26-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Shyeah, right...

Who? I thought I was here for the argument.

Seriously: I don't suppose anyone knows whether we'll get an ebook out of this?
Nope. Arguments are two doors down on the left. This is contradictions. (No it isn't....)

So, are we here to talk about scanners and their use in ebooks?

What? Why are you all looking at me like that?

Okay. Twain. TWAIN. TWAIN!!!! The Technology Without An Interesting Name.

<grumbles, mutters "Heavens to Murgatroid" and exits stage left!>
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote