Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Question for Kindle newspaper subscribers

If you are regularly receiving a newspaper subscription (or more) from the Amazon Kindle store I have a question for you. Are you getting pictures in your subscriptions? If so, are some always included or a once in a while thing?

I ask because I'm seeing a lot of posts from folks outside the U.S. who think that just because they are outside the U.S., they are not getting pictures. I don't think this is true (but I could be wrong). I think they are getting the same content with or without pictures as Kindle subscribers in the U.S.

My own experience is with the Los Angeles Times a year ago, which never had pictures (while I was subscribing, I now use Calibre and I do have pictures). Once in a while I would get a single issue of the NY Times or Washington Post and they might have one picture for the front cover and that was all.

Please share your experience. This information will be added to the Kindle Myths and Partial Truths wiki.

Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I've been picking up single issues of Sunday New York Times. I'm receiving pictures distributed throughout the issue. Personally love it...
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I've been picking up single issues of Sunday New York Times. I'm receiving pictures distributed throughout the issue. Personally love it...
Good to know.

Now, if someone outside the U.S. also subscribes to the NY Times (or is willing to purchase one issue) would share if they are also getting pictures, it would be great.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Maybe everyone is using Calibre.

Okay, let's try this the opposite way. Would anyone purchasing Kindle newspapers outside the U.S. who believes they are not getting pictures when they should, tell me the name of the newspaper they subscribe to. I will buy a single issue and we can compare.

Or, since we know the New York Times has pictures, both I and someone outside the U.S. can purchase a single issue and compare that way. Who will volunteer?
Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
asktheeightball
asktheeightball began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi all,

A friend of mine just told me that, as of this morning, he's now receiving images on his International Herald Tribune subscription in Canada.

Looks like Amazon may be trying to boost their newspaper quality outside the US before the DX makes it across the border.
asktheeightball is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by asktheeightball View Post
Hi all,

A friend of mine just told me that, as of this morning, he's now receiving images on his International Herald Tribune subscription in Canada.

Looks like Amazon may be trying to boost their newspaper quality outside the US before the DX makes it across the border.
Thanks for sharing that!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Maybe everyone is using Calibre.
That is what I do
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
christiankr
christiankr began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Intl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Or, since we know the New York Times has pictures, both I and someone outside the U.S. can purchase a single issue and compare that way. Who will volunteer?
Hi,

I'm from Germany and would participate in your little test.
For the foreign test paper I would prefer the "Frankfurter Allgemeine".

Greetings
christiankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Thank you christiankr and welcome to MobileRead!

I've just purchased today's issue of "Frankfurter Allgemeine". If you will do the same (I assume you're outside of the U.S.) when can compare. If you find any pictures, please get a screen grab of the image (alt+shift+g, the gif image will be saved in the documents folder on your Kindle) and post it here in the thread. If you don't find any pictures, please report that as well.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

BTW, christiankr Calibre has the recipe for the free subscription to "Frankfurter Allgemeine" built in (as well as several othe German publications). If you aren't familiar with Calibre, watch this and give it a try.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frankfurter.PNG
Views:	292
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	42660   Click image for larger version

Name:	german newspapers.PNG
Views:	296
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	42661  
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Okay, I have gone through the entire issue of Frankfurter Allgemeine, downloaded in the U.S. and loaded onto a Kindle 2 U.S. and there was not one picture to be found.

The buy page for the subscription says:

Quote:
The Kindle Edition of Frankfurter Allgemeine contains articles found in the print edition, but will not include all images and tables.
I think, that papers choose on an issue by issue basis whether to include images or not. Not on a country by country basis.

The experiment is still open. I still have a couple of dollars to spend on single issues if someone would like to me to try.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #12
christiankr

Hey daffy,

ok ... needless to say, that my version of the "Frankfurter Allgemeine" has also no pictures in it

Which newspaper do you want me to test from outside the US? A paper with pictures in it would be the best idea, I think. Any ideas?

I'm familiar with the Calibre subscriptions and know that there are a lot german subscriptions, too. But I prefer the Amazon e-Paper. Calibre just grabs RSS-Feeds so a lot of great articles are missing compared to the Amazon e-Paper.

Greetings from Germany
Old 01-07-2010, 01:20 AM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiankr View Post
Hey daffy,

ok ... needless to say, that my version of the "Frankfurter Allgemeine" has also no pictures in it

Which newspaper do you want me to test from outside the US? A paper with pictures in it would be the best idea, I think. Any ideas?

I'm familiar with the Calibre subscriptions and know that there are a lot german subscriptions, too. But I prefer the Amazon e-Paper. Calibre just grabs RSS-Feeds so a lot of great articles are missing compared to the Amazon e-Paper.

Greetings from Germany
Thanks so much!

How about the New York Times since we have confirmation that it has pictures? I will download the January 7th issue.

The Calibre recipies put a limit on the number of articles it will download so as not to bog down your computer. I'm sure the number can be raised from the usual 10. If you're downloading while you're sleeping it won't bother you if your computer has slowed down.

I haven't tried this but I can see the option is there.

Let compare notes tomorrow or later in your time zone.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #14
christiankr

Hey daffy,

I think you just misunderstood me. Not the amount of articles is the problem. FAZ and most of the german newspapers do not release all there articles from the print version on their internet sites. So they try to motivate all readers to get the print version and not only to read all news online.

I'll buy the current issue of the New York Times later and will give feedback
Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiankr View Post
Hey daffy,

I think you just misunderstood me. Not the amount of articles is the problem. FAZ and most of the german newspapers do not release all there articles from the print version on their internet sites. So they try to motivate all readers to get the print version and not only to read all news online.

I'll buy the current issue of the New York Times later and will give feedback
Oh I understand. Thanks for explaining that.

Talk to you over the NYT!