Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Self Publishing at Lulu.com

Hi Guys.

Just came across an article which spoke about Lulu.com, I hadnt heard of them before, but it looks interesting for those wishing to self publish - http://www.lulu.com/publish/ebooks/?...hp5_ebk_110209

On a side note, I'm curious to know what kind of encryption they are using if they can apply it to many differnet types of documents - word/rtf/epub/pdf?
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think their encryption option is only for PDF and ePUB.

And while no doubt Lulu are taking a bit off the top, I suspect that the $0.99 fee PER SALE for adding DRM means that big publishers must be paying Adobe at least $0.50 per sale for the DRM.

DRM - bad for customers, publishers and authors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direct Ebooks View Post
Hi Guys.

Just came across an article which spoke about Lulu.com, I hadnt heard of them before, but it looks interesting for those wishing to self publish - http://www.lulu.com/publish/ebooks/?...hp5_ebk_110209

On a side note, I'm curious to know what kind of encryption they are using if they can apply it to many differnet types of documents - word/rtf/epub/pdf?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think their encryption option is only for PDF and ePUB.

And while no doubt Lulu are taking a bit off the top, I suspect that the $0.99 fee PER SALE for adding DRM means that big publishers must be paying Adobe at least $0.50 per sale for the DRM.

DRM - bad for customers, publishers and authors.

From Adobe...
Quote:
• A permanent license gives the user access to the signed content forever. For each permanent license, you are charged $.22.

• An expiring license lasts between 0 and 60 days, after which time the content is no longer available to the end user. For each expiring license, you are charged $.08.
That's on top of the $6,500 for Content Server 4, plus $1,500 a year, after the first year, digital signing service fee.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Wow - then either Lulu don't expect to sell many encrypted ebooks, or they're looking to take a much larger cut from anyone foolish enough to pay for the DRM.

I would suggest that they're trying to discourage DRM use, but in the options pages, the default setting is with DRM checked on.

Even $0.22 seems an awful lot for DRM. Mind you, since I think that DRM is positively detrimental to all parties, including publishers, any cost would be too much.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There are lots of POD companies that support self published books and eBooks. Mine came from a company called AuthorHouse but there are plenty more Lulu doesn't seem much different.

edit: The focus on ePUB does make them better for eBook use.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 11-03-2009 at 06:44 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Is encryption there new? I have bought a few books at Lulu and they were DRM free PDFs.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Yes, looks like the DRM is just in:
http://lulublog.com/2009/11/03/new-l...ooks-are-here/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Yes, looks like the DRM is just in:
http://lulublog.com/2009/11/03/new-l...ooks-are-here/
Thanks... I read this:

Quote:
Concerned about losing sales when you make unprotected digital content available in the marketplace? You can now apply DRM to your eBook, and sell a licensed version which can’t be freely copied and distributed.
....and I think it should really say:

Concerned about losing sales when you make unprotected digital content available in the marketplace?

Don't be. There is no proof or correlation to a reduction off sales if you don't protect it with DRM. DRM only pisses off your readers and legitimate customers.

But, if you want to be draconian you can now apply DRM to your eBook, and sell a licensed version which can’t be freely copied and distributed.

BOb
Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Thanks... I read this:

....and I think it should really say:

Concerned about losing sales when you make unprotected digital content available in the marketplace?

Don't be. There is no proof or correlation to a reduction off sales if you don't protect it with DRM. DRM only pisses off your readers and legitimate customers.

But, if you want to be draconian you can now apply DRM to your eBook, and sell a licensed version which can’t be freely copied and distributed.

BOb
I think a better endorsement would be this:

Concerned about making too much money from unprotected digital content available in the marketplace? You can now apply DRM to your eBook, and lose sales while losing profit.

Or maybe...

Yo dawg, I heard yo like lower sales, so I put DRM in yo eBook so yo can lose while yo lose.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverClothe View Post
I think a better endorsement would be this:

Concerned about making too much money from unprotected digital content available in the marketplace? You can now apply DRM to your eBook, and lose sales while losing profit.

Or maybe...

Yo dawg, I heard yo like lower sales, so I put DRM in yo eBook so yo can lose while yo lose.
Imma let you finish... but Adobe DRM is the best DRM evar!!!

BOb