Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sony Reader in the press (huge round-up)

This thread has now a Wiki entry.

If anyone wonders if people care about an e-book reader, one only has to do a Google search on "Sony Reader" and follow your nose just a little bit. Reading through the results that come up is enough to convince the biggest skeptic that the world really does have a lot of interest in the devices.

To save you some time, I'm compiling a long list of some of the links and information that comes up, with a snippet or summary included. As you await the expected release of the device, enjoy the excitement!
  • Sony is the featured customer for this e-ink spec page
    "Destined to transform the electronic reading experience, the lightweight Sony® Reader is expected to bring a whole new meaning to 'book smart.'"
  • Wikipedia has a Sony Reader entry
    Also included in the entry are a lot of links to articles in the press, and of course a link to MobileRead.
  • USA Today says James Patterson is a Sony Reader fan
    "Among early fans: best-selling author James Patterson. 'It will get people to look at books in another way,' he says. 'As we get more and more comfortable watching television on our cellphones, maybe people who have an eBook may read a few chapters (instead).'"
  • Guardian Limited says publishers are preparing and waiting for the iPod of the book world
    "But although we shouldn't expect to see ebooks replace dead tree material, experts say that publishers have been waiting for this technology for some time. 'They see it as less of a threat and more of an opportunity,' says Philip Jones, web editor of the Bookseller. 'Many publishers are already digitising their backlists - they're not technology providers or creators, so they are waiting for the iPod of the book world.'"
    That's really interesting because we all seem to have the impression they see it as more of a threat and less of an opportunity. Is it possible publishers really are becoming enthusiastic and we didn't see the turnaround?
  • Book Business Extra has some info from Nick Bogaty of the IDPF
    Speaking on why e-books haven't taken off yet, he says, "I think there are a huge variety of reasons .... I think on the hardware side, screen resolution and battery life are the magic points and I think the Sony Reader has done a lot to accomplish those things."
  • Sony Press Release says Borders will sell the Sony Reader
    "As part of the relationship, Borders customers will also have the
    opportunity to purchase prepaid cards, redeemable online for e-books at the
    Sony CONNECT service which will offer a broad selection of trade fiction and
    non-fiction e-books from major and independent publishers at prices
    competitive with books offered in stores."
    You ever wonder where some writers find such slick wording about a device they know nothing about? Sometimes you may just have to refer to the press release!
  • ePublishing Daily says it's a book reader not a multimedia device
    "if you’re after a true multimedia device then this might not be for you: there’s no audio, it’s in black and white and there are no flash videos or any other multimedia-type apps to be seen. But I guess the natural tendency when bringing to market a new product is to make it as simple as possible for it’s basic use … and maybe down the road add the bells and whistles."
  • The WSJ says Sony had better be open with the Sony Reader <Subscription Only?>
    "Sony's 'DRM implementation killed their own players and created an environment where Apple could flourish,' says Rob Enderle, a technology analyst with Enderle Group, a consulting firm in San Jose, California. If Sony is able to learn from these mistakes, however, the Reader could be a big boost for a company whose cutting-edge image has suffered lately from a lack of hit products, he says."
    The early specs are very encouraging as it should support rtf, pdf and text.
  • Internet Retailer says Sony turns the page on e-books
    "Sony Electronics and Borders Group Inc. are teaming to sell online book-reading devices, a move Sony believes will spur sales of a new type of commerce-enabled handheld device and digital books."
  • Publishers Weekly talks about the Sony Reader
    They say that the price is high and that books will only be available through Sony's online store, but quote Nick Bogaty as saying "Nick Bogaty, head of the International Digital Publishing Forum, called the Sony Reader the most compelling e-book reader developed. He said the combination of Sony's marketing muscle with the amount of digital content now available could result in a significant increase in e-book sales."
    I think they may have missed the mark a bit with the availability of books, because text and pdf is widespread, but it seems likely that the average consumer might feel like the Sony store is their only book source when they first buy the device.
  • Forbes talks about Barnes & Noble not selling the device
    "Indeed. If Stringer is hoping to spawn a revolution in the way we read books, (in the same way Steve Jobs changed the way we listen to music with Apple Computer's iPod) the Sony Reader will have to find appeal beyond early-bird gadget seekers."
  • Thomas Net says it features one-handed navigation
    That's something we've been learning to expect to some degree in smart phones, but seems like a great goal for e-book readers also.
  • Mercury News says some seller don't want it
    But they also say "With its soft cover, high resolution and ability to last for hours on a single charge, the Sony Reader has been praised by e-book advocates as a breakthrough."
  • Pocket Lint reports on the CES announcement
    "As Pocket-lint predicted last year, Sony has launched an English version of its e-book reader for the US and UK markets."
  • Dexigner calls it stylish and durable
    "Coupling an innovative electronic paper display with precise one-handed navigation and a stylish, durable design, the Sony Reader will allow active readers to carry as much as they want to read whether they are traveling on the road or just around the corner."
  • Best Stuff says there will be a lot of content available
    "Booklovers will applaud the broad selection of eBooks already available for purchase and download to the Reader device. Many of the world's leading book publishers, including Random House, HarperCollins Publishers, Penguin-Putnam, Simon & Schuster and Time Warner Book Group will support Sony's e-reading initiative. Many independent and specialty publishers will also have eBook titles available for purchase and download to the Sony Reader. Manga comics and graphic novels from innovative houses such as TOKYOPOP are rendered beautifully on the device and will also be available for download."
  • The Standard (Chinese Newspaper) says Dan Brown is an enthusiast for the Reader
    Here's some of what Dan Brown, author of the Da Vinci Code, has said. "'It is not about replacing books,' he said. 'But e-books offer features that traditional books cannot. For example, rather than carrying several books while traveling, owners of a Reader need take only one on holiday. If I want a new book, I can download it instantly online even if it is two in the morning,' Brown said."
  • PC Magazine says Sony has the jump on Phillips Readius
    "Sony will have the jump on Philips, though, as the two gadgets square off. Third-party designs of the Readius won't ship until the summer. If these two products don't herald the age of e-books, nothing will."
    But it seems that neither device is coming as quickly as we had hoped.
  • David Rothman from TeleRead isn't so happy with Sony
    "Regardless of Sony’s grudging concessions to “openness,” the nature of the beast is unchanged. We’re talking about a company with a proprietary mindset and insufficient respect for open standards."
  • Rob says the Reader has a faster screen than the Librie
    I cant tell if he's from e-ink or not, but this is a thread at the eink support forums, so I'm guessing this is true. I just haven't confirmed it.
  • Econtent Magazine quotes Nick Bogaty from the IDPF
    "Bogaty thinks the Sony Reader has great market potential, but cautions against making comparisons with Apple's wildly successful iPod. 'I think it's highly dangerous for anyone, including Sony, to make any comparison to iPod types of reach. I would be incredibly surprised if something like that happened because that kind of reach, as far as digital media [is concerned], has happened to only one device, and that's the iPod. I don't think [the Sony Reader] is going to explode the industry, but could it double or triple the industry? Yes, possibly. But I would be careful to say that this is the iPod of ebooks.'"
  • Anime on DVD refers to two great articles
    The author says he or she would be happy with iPod-like pricing from the Sony Connect store.
  • This PDANews article tells us what people are looking for
    They quote Ron Hawkins, senior vice president of Personal Reader Systems marketing at Sony Electronics as saying, "'Our research has shown that people are looking for a device designed exclusively for immersive reading. The Sony Reader with its electronic paper display, thin format and extraordinary battery life fits the bill.'"
  • ABC News reports that Barnes & Noble and Amazon won't be selling the Reader
    We know now why Amazon won't sell it (they have their own reader coming out called the Kindle), but here's what Barnes & Noble says... "'We have sold e-readers before and they haven't done particularly well,' Barnes & Noble spokeswoman Mary Ellen Keating said Tuesday in response to a query from The Associated Press." Hmm, I bet Apple is glad they didn't think that way about selling mp3 players!
  • BBC News says Sony is targeting book lovers
    "'In recent years millions of people have become comfortable downloading and enjoying digital media, including e-books,' said Ron Hawkins of Sony Electronics. 'But until now, there has not been a good device on which to read.'"
  • Lets Go Digital seems pretty upbeat
    "The Sony Reader is expected to bring a whole new meaning to "book smart." Coupling an innovative electronic paper display with precise one-handed navigation and a stylish, durable design, the Sony Reader will allow active readers to carry as much as they want to read whether they are traveling on the road or just around the corner."
  • Wired tells us that Sony may change the frustrating past of e-book readers
    "'The problem was that the devices weren't very good, the screens were terrible, the prices were too high and there was a terrible selection of content,' said Michael Gartenberg, a vice president at JupiterResearch, a market research company. By contrast, Gartenberg said, the Sony Reader is small and readable enough to interest consumers."
  • Jeffrey Young says Sony just doesn't get it
    This is actually as quoted by Dan Farber.
    "Haven't we heard this idea before? Didn't electronic books fail miserably a few years back? Isn't it totally obvious that compared to buying a book, which is utterly portable, requires no batteries, has a well-defined user interface, and comes equipped to be understood by most pairs of eyes, buying a crippled digital player that can only handle one kind of media–and can't even surf the Web in 2006–is a stupid idea. Add the fact that you can only buy books that publishers have translated into Sony's format, running the gauntlet of the company's own hated Digital Rights Management software, and that they cost almost as much as the book anyway, and you have to wonder what is in the sushi they serve at Sony's headquarters. For about the same price as one of these 'readers,' I can buy a PDA that has few limitations, will surf the Web and let me send email, is about the same size, and can already display books to boot. Speaking of PDAs, Palm even created an electronic books subsidiary called ereader.com that seems to be thriving. What exactly is Sony adding?"
    But I think he missed the whole point of e-ink.. it's different than reading on any other kind of portable reading device.
  • The WSJ says something like the Sony Reader will catch on <Subscription only>
    "If the Sony Reader (which goes on sale this spring) takes off where previous ventures fell flat, it will be because Sony is offering what marketers call an "end to end" solution to the problem of the e-book. That kind of one-stop shopping is what made Apple's iPod so successful: You don't just buy the iPod itself, but an easy-to-use system that allows you to download any one of tens of thousands of popular songs within minutes of taking your iPod out of the box. So will it fly? I don't know. Still, I'm certain that something like the Sony Reader will catch on, if not this year then in a short time. The phenomenal success of the iPod strongly suggests that many, perhaps most, consumers are ready to start buying digital books on the Web and storing and reading them electronically."
    Unfortunately, spring didn't pan out. We're still waiting.
    By the way, there's an awful lot of great coverage in the Wall Street Journal. I wish it was all freely available. Even if you have a subscription, some articles require payment. But if you do have a subscription, try a search for Sony Reader.
  • Eastman's Online Genealogy says genealogy e-books will appear
    "For nearly twenty years, futurists have been predicting the imminent demise of printed books. The “conventional wisdom” has been that digital “e-books” were on the verge of replacing paper books. There are many reasons why: lower expenses, ease of ordering and receiving books, reduced storage space, and more. There's only one problem: none of the predictions have yet come true. Now Sony finally has a new device that may hasten the demise of paper-based books."
  • PC Magazine says Sony promises to revive e-books
    "Sony first showed off the Reader, its next-generation e-book reader, at CES in January, with a promise that it would revive an e-book landscape littered with disappointing products such as the Gemstar eBook, the Rocket eBook, and the Franklin eBookMan."
  • Mile High Comics says the Reader is manga friendly
    "Gizmodo is blogging live from the show and as their picture shows, manga -- epsicifically TRIGUN -- is being used to demonstrate how the Reader works."
  • Crave from CNet says Sony gets its Reader right
    And they have some celebrity ties at CES also... "Dan Brown, author of the indefatigable Da Vinci Code, was wheeled out by Sony to demonstrate his bestselling book in electronic form. He was accompanied by Tom Hanks, star of the new film, who defied the Sony throng by mocking the autocue used by Sony's CEO and repeatedly referring to podcasts (the radio-like service synonymous with Apple's iPod)."
  • Gearlog is optimistic
    "I am cautiously optimistic about the device. It is slim, super-portable, and the electronic ink display looks great. The reported $250-$300 price seems a little steep, but if the company makes it as format-agnostic as they have said (supporting PDFs, Word doc, and most other text files) they could have a winner."
    Interestingly, he has the price lower than other sources, and he says in the article that he's tired of trying to read on his Treo.
  • ZDNet reviews it, but isn't sure about the Connect store
    "The Sony Reader pumps new life into e-book readers with its revolutionary technology, but the value of the Sony Connect service is still in question."
  • Q&A with a Sony Electronics VP <Word document warning>
    "Following significant consumer and media buzz about the LIBRIe here in the States, SONY studied the possibility of creating a U.S. version of the device. We subsequently determined that there was sufficient interest and a market need for the product."
  • Science Fiction in the News relates it to Hitchhikers Guide and Clark's 1968 "newspad"
    And there's some cool pics (like with a graphic novel) and other info.
  • Mobile Magazine thinks it won't be out this year
    "If you are an avid reader, and you have been anxiously waiting for the Sony Reader to arrive to make your reading experience truly pleasurable, then you will have to practice some more patience. The Sony Reader had been delayed yet again, and likely won’t show up before the end of the year."
  • PC World says it's easy on the eyes
    "Sony today issued the latest electronic challenge to the printed page."
  • Tech Living isn't completely sold yet
    "There have been plenty of e-book readers before, but none have caught on. Perhaps it's because reading documents on electronic displays for long periods of time hurts the eyes. Sony is hoping that's the main reason anyway, not the fact that people who read a lot of books are, well, bookish. Available shortly, the Sony Reader uses E Ink technology, which doesn't use any sort of emitting diodes, and therefore won't hurt your eyes."
  • Bill McCoy of Adobe talks about Sony Reader and Adobe PDF
    This is from back in January, soon after the announcement, and did you notice he's already talking about a PRS product line? I sure hope he's right that the first Sony Reader is the beginning of a long line of readers!
    "There has been quite a bit of speculation on the nature of the PDF support in the Sony Reader PRS-500 product announced by Sony at CES. To clarify, the Sony Reader supports true Adobe PDF via Adobe software. This is an extension of an previously announced partnership that has delivered PDF support into several Sony consumer electronics products, including a car navigation system... I expect the Sony PRS product line to be a great success."
  • EcoGeek likes the Sony Reader
    "So, it seems that news surrounding e-readers is taking off a bit, what with the somewhat accidental announcement of Amazon's Kindle yesterday. Comparing this with my Librie, I'd say the advantages are: 1. Price, this is cheaper at roughly $350 retail. 2. Better contrast ratio, lighter whites, darker blacks. 3. The instructions are in English! 4. Faster load times, you shouldn't have to wait for a book to boot up. 5. You don't have to hack the lame DRM! Unless the Kindle (with it's wireless capabilities) comes in around or below this price, this will be my choice for my next E-book reader. That is, if they ever release it to the public."
  • Jane at Dear Author is not convinced
    "As much as I am seduced by the idea of a device that reads like ink on paper, the restrictions are going to prevent me from buying this device. I think."
  • Armchair Arcade talks about the Sony Reader
    "The gotchas are of course this device is black and white, it's yet another device to tote around, and it's quite expensive (or likely will be when actually released). What's worse, Apple may be thinking about entering the e-book space with their ever present iPod line and iTunes, leveraging a well established brand, form factor and service. Of course no matter what modifications are made to the iPod going forward, be they game or e-book abilities, it will not be optimized for either function. Even though iPod's have long since added photo and more recently video support, an iPod still excels primarily at music."
  • You Cried For the Night shares some thoughts on e-book readers
    He's commenting on an article by Monica Dux's called 'Bound To Please', in The Age. He says, "Dux was very enthusiastic about the purported uptake of e-readers, and I can't really imagine why given the current publishing complexities for these platforms. Most users of e-books are people who own PDAs - they are not exactly a majority of the population... Most users of e-books are people who own PDAs - they are not exactly a majority of the population...Even more incredibly, Dux suggested airily that there will be no textbooks in a few years time, only e-texts, and that children will have as warm a relationship with these as they have had with their first readers. Pffft."
  • Sony's showcase page for the Sony Reader
    Simple and short animated presentation page for the Sony Reader.
  • Runners Who Read comment on the showcase page
    "In theory, I love the idea... My bottom line is always the price, though. It was my understanding that they were going to be wicked expensive."
    "Anyway, with a reader, what do you purchase? A license of sorts? And where/how do you make marginalia? And if you want more than one book open at a time, how does that work? I'm a skeptic."
    "I still like reading 'the paper' in hand better than on line, but you can't beat the convenience of the computer. The computer doesn't end up in the puddle in the front lawn. Sigh."
  • Peter Davidson says the Sony Reader solves three issues
    "The new Sony Reader ebook reading device to be released this spring is poised to be the first widely successful ebook reader. I know first hand because I have one of the last generation of readers and the Sony Reader solves three of the main faults of previous readers. I now these issues first hand because these were the faults of the RCA book reader I owned a few years ago." He goes on to discuss screen, batteries and weight. Then concludes with... "Anybody who says they wouldn't like it, they'd miss paper pages, they can't curl up with a screen, etc. has never tried it. I enjoyed a number of books on my RCA reader. I used it on airplanes. I curled up with it at bedtime. All the while I enjoyed being able to switch between a whole collection of books. To the doubters I say don't knock it until you try it."
  • Michael at Safe As Milk is tired of waiting
    "I guess it's coming out soon since they're sending out testers. I was pretty geeked to get one of these, but that was back in February. Delay after delay after delay. Thanks, Sony. Now I have to spec it out against the Amazon e-reader before I do anything."
  • Jared's Blog
    Jared seems to like the device, but feels like it's a tough product to market. He feels the early market is hard to reach because techies already have nice Tablet PC screens to read on, avid readers love paper, and travelers will use their laptops.
    "It sounds like a great product-- I'd love to own one-- but, I'd hate to be tasked with developing a marketing plan for it. It's a classic example of a solution without a problem. While it's possible to overcome this difficulty (TiVo, bottled water...), at the current price point of $400, it seems unlikely."
    Personally, I think he may never have seen an e-ink display. Other devices apparently just can't compare for the reading experience.
  • Sony Press Release Jan 4, 2006
  • Chitika News - Sony Reader: The new wave of eBook Reading
    "The eInk® techonology provides clarity and a resolution to rival even paper itself! They claim that reading the Sony® Reader is easy, whether in full daylight or indoors. I also like the fact that you can increase the text for us older generation that have misplaed our reading glasses."
    "I am not easily swayed by this techo-world. But I do like to read, and this device seems to fit into my lifestyle easily. It also has that Star Trek flair."
    "So does this mean the end of traditional books? I doubt it. But it definately will make “e” reading less tiring on the eyes and more convenient when travelling."
  • Sony presentation at IDPF conference on 5/19/2006 <pdf warning>
    Includes key product features and a business concept overview.
  • Engadget with the Sony Reader
    This article is from Jan 6, 2006. And it looks on the surface as if the device is about ready to go. I'd say that pretty much tells us that the eventual rollout will not be beta device, but something ready for market. There's some really great pics of the device and the docking unit here.
  • Cork University Press
    "The Sony Reader--may an e-book device finally succeed--will be sold at some 30 Sony Style stores, Sony's Web site and about 200 Borders stores. At the Borders stores, demos will be available and customers can buy cards redeemable for e-texts online. The Sony Reader will cost $300-$400 and should launch this summer."

This is, of course, nowhere close to a comprehensive list, but it's enough to have worn me out. And if you read all the way to the bottom to see this, I congratulate you on being a true e-book fan!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
In other words, an awful lot of talk for an awful long time and still no actual product.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Im surprised by the lack of understanding of the display technology advantages being offered. Jeffrey Young only mentions the power savings. Armchair Arcade worries about people reading books on their iPod.. wtf? "Jared's Blog" complains that most people want "nice tablet PC screens".

I would expect tech writers to at least read a LITTLE bit more about a device.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

thanks bob , great work .
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:42 PM   #5
Ken Stuart
The Knight Who Says Nook!
Ken Stuart began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color ; dead Clie NR70 ; living Rocket REB1100 ; QY70 (pictured)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug
Im surprised by the lack of understanding of the display technology advantages being offered. Jeffrey Young only mentions the power savings. Armchair Arcade worries about people reading books on their iPod.. wtf? "Jared's Blog" complains that most people want "nice tablet PC screens".

I would expect tech writers to at least read a LITTLE bit more about a device.
I think you have hit on a crucial aspect.

I've seen a lot of product introductions over the years (eg I saw the mouse and Windows before either Gates or Jobs).

It seems to me that the visual advantages of e-ink will be impossible to convey without handing someone a Reader. This is simlar to the way that HDTV cannot be judged by looking at one being shown on a regular SD TV.

And, in fact, HDTV has been one of the slowest ever product launches as a result.

There is also significant evidence that products based solely on quality fail to gain mass acceptance. Convenience and style rate far higher. Note that the audio quality of an iPod and other MP3 players is automatically significantly lower than that of the previous generation of portable devices, the portable CD players.

Intrestingly enough, the pricing of iPods has remained much higher than portable CD players, showing that cost is not a crucial factor, contrary to conventional wisdom. This is probably why Sony is pricing the Reader at an amount similar to an iPod.
Ken Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Gah, what a list! Thanks for the huge chunk of work, Bob.

I agree with the idea that marketing this is difficult. The problem is that you really can't get the idea of why e-ink is such a deal without actually seeing it. I've seen one of the iLiad screens, and ... well it really can't be captured. (though I do think that the prices have also been a significant barrier to HDTV adoption )

The best thing for these e-ink devices would be to get them out there so people can lay eyes on them.

Yeah, there are several products out, but the ones that have been released so far (Librié, iLiad and HanLin V8) just haen't gotten much penetration yet -- almost none in the U.S. There needs to be some kind of big PR stunt or something to get a lot of eyes on the screens, so that lots of folks can really understand it.

Reproduced images just can't capture the difference. How does someone really grasp that a display is better if they can only see pictures of the better display on the worse one?

Okay, I think this topic is too frustrating for me today, I'm going to go to some other topic for a bit.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
This is, of course, nowhere close to a comprehensive list, but it's enough to have worn me out. And if you read all the way to the bottom to see this, I congratulate you on being a true e-book fan!
Now, if this list is not comprehensive, than I don't know what list is! Great job, Bob!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #8
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I was just checking CNet, to see if there was a mention of the supply difficulties with the reader, but I haven't seen anything there. Strange that News.com would not mention such an issue, if it was really a problem.

I wouldn't mind seeing a reader too, though at $350 I won't be an early adopter.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been thinking about that, plus the lack of major advertising so far, and I wonder if the smaller first batches wasn't a benefit to Sony for a few reasons:
1) They haven't had to spend much for rollout. It's all been press coverage and word of mouth as far as I can tell.
2) Might give them an early indication of demand without having to take on the risk of expanding production capabilities too early. On the other hand, production capacity might not be that easy to adjust, so this might not really be practical.
3) May give them an idea of where to ship existing stock that hasn't been placed
4) Makes the product look successful. Nothing worse than having them out there and not selling. Sold out signs make something look valuable.
5) They might even be able to tweak the advertising and marketing plans based on what they learn from early buying (and buyers!)
Old 10-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #10
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
Like launching outside the US seeing as there is clearly a demand for it.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
'tis devoutly to be hoped.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
DL.TV's Patrick Norton has another preview of the Reader (from several months ago). This is different than the one he did for PC Magazine. It is in episode 68, which can be viewed and/or downloaded here:

http://www.dl.tv/2006/06/episode_68_available_now.php
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:32 PM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Here's an interesting one that may not be listed above...
http://m-ook.com/post/1/166

"Who needs Blu-ray? This is the Sony reader that usesthe display technology from I’ve been hearing so much about. To give you an idea of just how good this display looks… I walked up to the counter, looked at the text on the screen and asked, “So when will you have working units to play with?” The reply: “This is a working reader.” I mistakenly though[t] the text on the screen was some kind of plastic overlay—that’s how ink-like it looked. Then the PR rep increased the text size, searched through the table of contents and showed me some Manga comics. It is the first e-reader that seemed like I could sit down and spend hours on without experiencing eye strain."
Old 10-10-2006, 09:01 PM   #14
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yup... they definitely need to get readers out there for people to SEE! Speaking from experience, word-of-mouth is not going to be enough to sell their product.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 07:46 AM   #15
njt
Enthusiast
njt began at the beginning.

I found this article to be interesting^^;

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...em.cgi?id=8498
njt is offline   Reply With Quote