Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question How to prevent from breaking the screen or the reader?

Hey guys I broke my 700 screen, and wonder how to prevent breaking the screen of the iLiad?

Man the iLiad is not cheap so breaking the screen is not fun at all. Any advice?

Thanks
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
drew00149
Connoisseur
drew00149 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iRex iLiad, HTC Kaiser
Don't drop it or put heavy things on it?
drew00149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
physics@war
Connoisseur

I didn't for the 700,

I just hold it with one of my hand as I am holding other books too. I guess doing this produce a big pressure on the screen.

Or is there a good cover that can protect the screen better?
Old 04-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #4
drew00149
Connoisseur

I'm going to have to be extraordinarily bold and say I find it hard to believe that the screen broke while you were just holding it.

You could buy some hard case but then you would obviously have to take it out and hold it in your hand while you read. I don't know of any other leather type case for the 700...

For the iLiad m-edge makes some pretty nice leather and faux leather cases but again if you drop it or put heavy objects on top you risk damaging the device.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
physics@war
Connoisseur

yeah that is my first reasoning too,

I think that holding in my palm may not cause such damage. That sucks. It may have broken when it sit in my backpack also.

Good thing it is new purchased and I contact Sony today, they agree to let me return it and get the refund. But not sure if it is full refund or not.

Gosh it is really frustrate when you see such expensive device break within such short period of time. Bugger!
Advert
Old 04-22-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
drew00149
Connoisseur

Yes the backpack things sounds more reasonable.

And yeah breaking expensive toys is really frustrating.

Hopefully moving forward we will see plastic substrate instead of glass being used in e-ink screens which will lead to more resilient and flexible screens.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I use a MEdge cover for my iLiad. What breaks the screen is sharp pressure at a point. For example the corner of a book pressing into the screen in a backpack. Covers help, but you still need to be careful.

When you send the device back for repair they will be able to tell if this is a manufacturing defect or mishandling. However, you are obviously at the mercy of what they decide. I have seen reports of iRex agreeing that the screen broke due to a defect in some cases. I don't know about Sony because I don't follow those forums.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics@war View Post
Hey guys I broke my 700 screen, and wonder how to prevent breaking the screen of the iLiad?

Man the iLiad is not cheap so breaking the screen is not fun at all. Any advice?

Thanks
Get a cover for it. I have one sold by iRex, but there are a couple companies selling other versions (M-Edge, etc). The good covers have a hard shell inside the front that protects the screen from any impact or pressure.

Protecting the iLiad screen is VERY important, as any breakage is not covered under your warranty.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I have seen reports of iRex agreeing that the screen broke due to a defect in some cases.
What I've seen are things like a "line out" error or other display anomaly (excessive ghosting, etc) being covered under warranty. As far as I've seen, instances of physically breaking the screen are not covered.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Hi,
How about the iliad shoulder bag?
I have an MEdge cover, but it seems pretty restrictive. I have to keep sliding it out to get to the stylus and it also obstructs the flipbar.

One more piece of info:
I read abt a nice cover for 6" readers like bebook. This is a slightly modded VHS/VCR tape box. The 6" device sits in nicely into this box it seems and very less chance of sharp pressure points. It is also possible to read with the box open.

But something similar needs to be searched out for an 8' device.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #11
Shaggy
Wizard

I've heard of cases where people were using the shoulder bag and still broke the screen. Personally, I wouldn't trust it.

I'm not sure if iRex even sells it anymore, I don't see it listed on their shop.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 AM   #12
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24800
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #13
clarencews
clarencews began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
wow that case is almost 5 times bigger than the iliad.

I noticed that there are some people on the forums who were experiencing problems with light spots on the screen.

is there are reason that would happen?
Perhaps excessive pressure?
clarencews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard

Direct sunlight can cause some funny fading on parts of the screen, but once you take it out of the sun it goes back to normal. IOW, it's not a permanent effect. I have never seen any explanation from eInk or the various manufacturers as to why this happens though.

The other cases I've heard about sounded more like individual defects, which I assume would be covered under warranty. I don't think it's a wide spread problem.

I don't know of any correlation between lights spots and excessive pressure.