Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 05-09-2005, 11:11 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
FeederReader: Podcasts and RSS on Pocket PC

It's only in alpha release right now, but there's an interesting tool called FeederReader for viewing RSS feeds and listening to podcasts on your Pocket PC.
Quote:
FeederReader is a full-featured RSS Aggregator with podcast listening ("podcasting" or "podcatching") and enclosure support, running on Windows Mobile.

Major Features

• Podcast listening
  • Enclosure support
  • Installation and Storage on Flash Card.
  • Easy Message Reading, one-handed.
  • Handles large Number of feeds.
  • Read while updating.
  • Update multiple feeds at the same time.
  • Message Lock.
  • OPML Import and Export.
  • Flexible viewing of Feed Data: view all
    message elements and raw files.
  • Integrated Error Display.
  • Flexible message handling.
  • Messages retained even when removed
    from original feed.
  • Detailed statistics on loaded messages.
A review is also available from Podcasting.com here.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
GSmith
GSmith began at the beginning.

Device: Fujitsu Loox 720
Thanks for mentioning FeederReader. I work hard on making FeederReader the most flexible and complete RSS reader for text, audio, video, and anything else that is playable on a Pocket PC. With an integrated Enclosure Toolbar and file management, it's real easy to download, play, delete, and download more!

We're going to Beta soon and I hope that if you are interested, log in to the message board (link from www.FeederReader.com) and give suggestions for the further development of FeederReader.

Thanks!

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - The Pocket PC RSS, podcatcher, videocatcher
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road
Advert
Old 05-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi Greg!

Is your product also recommend for regular RSS readers or is it specifically meant for downloading Podcasts?
Old 05-09-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
GSmith

It's an excellent RSS text reader. There are lots of features for downloading and reading text as well as podcasts. I use it ALL THE TIME for reading news while listening to podcasts. FeederReader is specifically designed to handle both text and multimedia simultaneously.

For example, you can be reading news feeds and when the current podcast ends, hit the "Delete & Play Next" button and FeederReader will delete the currently playing podcast and start playing the next one without ever changing the current news item you are reading. FeederReader can also handle "mixed" audio/video/text feeds and play anything for which you have a program installed.

Obviously, you don't HAVE to listen to podcasts. But of course I highly recommend it. I currently am subscribed to 150 feeds, 20 of which are podcasts/videocasts. The rest are text feeds (with maybe occasional audio/video/picture enclosures).

Greg Smith
Old 05-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Sounds great!

I will surely give it a try this week.
Advert
Old 05-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
GSmith

Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement. This thread e-mails me, but if you want to interact with other users (and not just my biased opinion ;-) ), consider signing up to our message board. A link to our message board is available at www.FeederReader.com.

Greg Smith
Old 05-26-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
GSmith

I just wanted to post a quick note of something I just thought of. FeederReader can download ANY file type that can be viewed on the Pocket PC.

This seems ideal for those who might want to distribute or subscribe to book chapters or magazine articles or any other reading material. It could be distributed in a mobile reader format. FeederReader will launch your mobile reader automatically when you press "play" within FeederReader. Once you are done with the current chapter.

If reading material is distributed as simple text within the feed, you could launch your reader using a custom Export command from FeederReader. Read RSS feeds within your favorite reader. Cool. If you want help to set this up, let me know!

I think it would be a decent use of FeederReader. Let me know what you think.

I don't know of any RSS feeds that distribute reader-format articles as enclosures. Do you?

Greg Smith