Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
f0ck3r
f0ck3r began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
why can't I see my saved notes?

Hey guys, just got my iLiad v2 and I'm very happy. I've played around a lot with all your open source apps and I couldn't be happier. I just started messing with the notes thing (waaay after I jumped straight into 3rd party dev apps lol), and I can't seem to figure out how to view the notes I've taken. Is this normal? When I plug it into my computer I can see them fine. I looked in the user manual I see nothing about opening notes. Any help would be appreciated
f0ck3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Hey,

a warm welcome here at Mobileread! Nice to hear that you like your device.

Are you talking about the notes you reach when pressing the "Notes" button at the bottom, or are you referring to notes in a PDF file, aka "scribbles"?

Notes are usually saved as .PNG files in the notes/ subdir and have names like "Blank_xxx.png" while scribbles reside in a PDF's subdir.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
f0ck3r

I'm reffering to the "Notes" button at the bottom. It's not too clear as how to operate it. From what I can tell I hit "Notes" and it shows Notes at the top, then I hit it again, and I get a ruled sheet I can write on. Then if I scribble a bit, hit "Books", then hit "Notes" to go back there's nothing listed there, however if I plug in my device I can see my scribble in the png and irx file. This just seems like a really poor way of doing things or something I must be missing something. There's like 2 sentences in the user manual regarding the subject too lol. Ugh
Old 02-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

OK, I think I know what the problem is: You probably changed the storage location for notes from internal memory to some external memry (USB, SD or CF card). That's why no documents show up on your device, but the files are there when you connect it to the PC. Hitting a category button twice opens the last read document of that category, in your case it opens the blank template _on your internal memory_ and saves the notes there.

So you might either change the storage location for notes in the settings menu back to internal memory, or move over the files to your external card using your PC. Please check if that helps!
Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
f0ck3r

Thank you Thomas that is correct. If I hit notes is there another way to show me options or open things other than the default template? And if I set my default notes directory to the CF why isn't it saving them there that's kind of retarded :S
Advert
Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #6
-Thomas-
Addict

PNG files behave like templates. There are three files pre-installed, Blank.png, Lines.png and Squares.png. Once you open them the iLiad creates a new .png and saves it under a new name, like Blank_2009-02-05__20-38.png, but in the same directory as the template. As the template is on internal memory on your device, notes are saved there.

Just move all notes files from the internal memory to the CF/MMC/USB and open one of the .png files (Blank, Lines or Squares) once. This way the iLiad recognizes it as the last read document and will open that template the next time. Everything should be ok then.

Actually, the iLiad only follows it's simple programming. I think you have found the only thinkable way to get stuck (not offending!) Kind of an unlucky start, but I hope this doesn't affect your relation to your reader
Old 02-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #7
f0ck3r

Hahaha that's ok.. It all makes sense now.. No it definitely doesn't turn me off of the reader. I just spend 5 hours flying and I couldn't have been more happy reading my pdf's, scribbling in them, writing notes, and bouncing around. When the pilot announced we were descending I was shocked. This thing's going to be glued to my hip, not only as my bathroom reader too lol.

With the awesome amount of development you and the rest of the guys have put in at this board I'm very happy I bought this device. The fact that its running linux and I'm ssh'ing into it via wifi and working my magic gives me a semi. Just want to say thanks to you and the rest of the dev team here. I'm looking forward to checking out Adam's tutorial on porting and maybe getting some other stuff slipped into the iLiad.

How do I pronounce iLiad? ill-ee-ad?
Old 02-06-2009, 05:38 AM   #8
-Thomas-
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by f0ck3r View Post
How do I pronounce iLiad? ill-ee-ad?
I think it follows Homer's Iliad which is pronounced that way, at least here in Germany.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
triwy
triwy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Hello Hope, do you know if with the ILiar first edition (the one without wii fii) I will be able to take notes. I love to take note at the side of the page I am reading (for example a book) and maybe you know if it is possible?
If not where esle I can take notes?
Thanks a lot,
I am still deciding if buying a cybbok or a iLiar
triwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwy View Post
Hello Hope, do you know if with the ILiar first edition (the one without wii fii) I will be able to take notes. I love to take note at the side of the page I am reading (for example a book) and maybe you know if it is possible?
If not where esle I can take notes?
Thanks a lot,
I am still deciding if buying a cybbok or a iLiar
I think you mean the iLiad Book Edition, that's the one without wifi. The answer to your question is yes. All of the iLiads support taking notes. The only thing different about the Book Edition is that it does not have wifi and is a different color (silver vs black). Everything else about it is the same.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 05:18 AM   #11
triwy
triwy began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I think you mean the iLiad Book Edition, that's the one without wifi. The answer to your question is yes. All of the iLiads support taking notes. The only thing different about the Book Edition is that it does not have wifi and is a different color (silver vs black). Everything else about it is the same.
Hi Shaggy, thanks for the information. I think iLiad book Edition will be great for me then, I do not neede another device to connect to the net...sometimes I end up being connected too much....!

So you are saying that I can take note even on the same page I am reading (for example of a e book?). It is so...?
If it is so it is really fantastic....!
All the best to you,
thanks
triwy is offline   Reply With Quote