Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
What happened today???

What's with today? Did Alex lock the door to The Lounge? Did someone urinate on the couch (hey, wasn't me)? Was there a fire? Or did everyone pass out from one too many Zany Carter Deluxes before breakfast? Jeez. Our Queen disappears for a short while and now look what I have to do - work!

Okay, here's a gig. Suppose Congress doesn't bail out the banks and the dreaded reality plays out just as Paulson et al predict (okay, we're speaking hypothetically now). Banks have no cash to lend, businesses can't borrow even the used paper from the rubbish bin, scads of people get layed off, and the economy finally tanks under the weight of too much bad debt (duh! like the fact that too much debt is bad should surprise anyone - wake up!). What I want to know is, will the squirrels take over or will it be the lemurs and llamas?

[Hey, I'm just trying to cheer people up.]
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:44 PM   #2
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
One word: Zeitgeist

Google for the 3rd part of that video, and all will be clear.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
It'll be the squirrels, possibily dressed up as llamas. Or not. Or dressed up as Marc.

And some idiot has given them light sabres... What chance do we have against pan-dimensional, hyper-intelligent, meta-evil, time-travelling, pirate ninja, dark jedi, lemur-disgusied squirrels?

What I want to know is which politicians and financial bosses have they already taken over. Perhaps this is all an attempt to soften us up...

Me? I'm staying under the bed in the bunker and buying futures in chocolate peanuts. (Now where did I put that bat-squirrel repellent....)
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
What's with today? Did Alex lock the door to The Lounge? Did someone urinate on the couch (hey, wasn't me)? Was there a fire? Or did everyone pass out from one too many Zany Carter Deluxes before breakfast? Jeez. Our Queen disappears for a short while and now look what I have to do - work!

Okay, here's a gig. Suppose Congress doesn't bail out the banks and the dreaded reality plays out just as Paulson et al predict (okay, we're speaking hypothetically now). Banks have no cash to lend, businesses can't borrow even the used paper from the rubbish bin, scads of people get layed off, and the economy finally tanks under the weight of too much bad debt (duh! like the fact that too much debt is bad should surprise anyone - wake up!). What I want to know is, will the squirrels take over or will it be the lemurs and llamas?

[Hey, I'm just trying to cheer people up.]

Sorry, been using the beautiful weather to do heavy yard work. This week finish PVC piping and digging up a dying rosebush. Next week digging and resetting amaryllis,and then the big job, digging up 2 clumps of crinium lilies. That involve digging a 2 foot deep hole in heavy clay.

I don't think any of them will take over here, I've got plenty of ammo, and they'll all barbeque....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I've been on-and-off MR today because I was busy downloading books and reformatting them with extra big fonts. Remember back about 2 months ago, I vowed not to download any more books until I read everything on my e-bookshelf? It sort of surprised me that I did it so quickly, but I did it! So I bought a few titles from Fictionwise, downloaded a half dozen from MR, and found some others elsewhere. My SM card is 75% full again with lots of new reading material - YAY!!

Lemurs are the squirrels' overlords. Those hate filled eyes and opposable thumbs give them the power to rule the small mammal domain. They already overran Madagascar, where they are staging their upcoming military invasion of the rest of the world. Who do you think taught the squirrels to steal from birdfeeders in the first place anyway?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
...What I want to know is, will the squirrels take over or will it be the lemurs and llamas?
The squirrels took over a long time ago. Sure, the economy has tanked, but have you looked at the stock price of nuts lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyScot View Post
It'll be the squirrels, possibily dressed up as llamas. Or not. Or dressed up as Marc.
...or Marc, mind fragmented into a million passing thoughts, fears and loathings, all of them dressed up as squirrels and all out to get you, LazyScot, you bed-hiding bastard!

~ahem~ "Idiot", am I. "Get you", will I? Most assuredly sciuridae.

Quote:
What chance do we have against pan-dimensional, hyper-intelligent, meta-evil, time-travelling, pirate ninja, dark jedi, lemur-disgusied squirrels?
I'll give you odds of 17-to-1 against. If you have "hope", Adrian's giving an even bet, with a quantum fluctuation for humans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I don't think any of them will take over here, I've got plenty of ammo, and they'll all barbeque....
Another ~ahem~. Representative of the Montsnmags Enterprises Multiversal Armoury Division speaking here...

~ahem~...the squirrels have cleared out the armoury. Your only hope is the knowledge that they also cleared out my Liquor Cabinet (and by "liquor cabinet" I mean that rather large environmentally-contained, five-feet-of-unobtainium-thick walled, safety wing of Party-central, Chateau Pompette - you know, the wing with all the hazard lights, and warning signs, and "Do you have a drinking problem?" reminders required by government officials who don't understand that an answer of "Yes" can be spoken with a resounding cheer, and by the way can I get you another Zany Carter?)

So, the squirrels are drunk (by an extreme, hallucinogenic, hepped-up, superpowered, ultra-delusional definition of the word "drunk"), and they've currently got their hands on the second-largest, most powerful armoury in the known and unknown multiverse. No highway speed sign is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Lemurs are the squirrels' overlords. Those hate filled eyes and opposable thumbs give them the power to rule the small mammal domain. They already overran Madagascar, where they are staging their upcoming military invasion of the rest of the world. Who do you think taught the squirrels to steal from birdfeeders in the first place anyway?
Layer-upon-layer-upon-layer of enigma, the squirrels build their convoluted plans, disguising themselves as lemurs when it suits their needs. Only the gibbons are immune from the body-snatching (seriously, have you ever smelled a gibbon? Who'd want to occupy that body?). Lemurs are squirrels that propose to be the human overlords, but fortunately gibbons are the humans' underpants, and they're not afraid to use them.

In the battle for multiversal supremacy, the only question is, will the sozzled squirrel beat the skidmark-gibbon? LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!

Cheers,
Marc (Taking all bets, people. Taking all bets)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Uh, can I just go back to bed and wake up when it's over? Please? But I'll need a new pair of jammies. I've just soiled these.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:22 AM   #8
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
So, the squirrels are drunk (by an extreme, hallucinogenic, hepped-up, superpowered, ultra-delusional definition of the word "drunk"), and they've currently got their hands on the second-largest, most powerful armoury in the known and unknown multiverse. No highway speed sign is safe.
Second largest?

Oh, right, security for your ucoming party of last week! How could I forget?
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I was talking to a friend of mine who is an engineer yesterday and he thought that the mathematical damping would reduce market volatility this week. I said, yeah, unless we have Galloping Gertie (look it up on wikipedia if you aren't familiar with it).
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
I was talking to a friend of mine who is an engineer yesterday and he thought that the mathematical damping would reduce market volatility this week.
Ah, the old wet towel effect. I'd like to cover my head with one and just hide there for awhile.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Ah, the old wet towel effect. I'd like to cover my head with one and just hide there for awhile.
Sorry, Puppy, but right now you can/can't afford a wet/dry/raggegy towel due to inflation/deflation and the value/valuelessness of the dollar/dog bone. (Reverting to temporal timespeak to describe the volatility of the US financial situation this week.)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #12
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hors de Combat

Lets see if I've got this right....
  • I'm hiding under the bed in the bunker,
  • VivaldiRules is tied up in knots trying to change his pyjamas
  • Marc has been kitnapped and replaced by a legion of pan-dimensional, hyper-intelligent, meta-evil, time-travelling, pirate ninja, dark jedi squirrels
  • Zelda appears has reportedly been trapped in some travel nightmare doubtless caused by squirrels eating through critical cables
  • Several members appear to have embraced the dark side and the squirrels
  • DixieGal is currently okay, but somewhat busy delivering peanut cheesecake to the entire planet due to the backwash from a corrupted wish, and prepare the occasional ebook.

I wonder if that pan-dimensional, hyper-intelligent, meta-evil, time-travelling, pirate ninja, dark jedi squirrel photographer got something incriminating on film on pshrynk from the party that will be happening last week.

I don't suppose the pan-dimensional, hyper-intelligent, meta-evil, time-travelling, pirate ninja, dark jedi squirrels have signed up to the Geneva Convention have they?

So in short, to get back on-topic, I think yesterday was a bad day...
Old 10-01-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

No fair! People need to look out for their dogs. Hey, how much for one of those ice cream cones? They are ice cream, aren't they - not that frozen yuckurt stuff, right?
Old 10-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #14
LazyScot
DSil

Quote:
No fair! People need to look out for their dogs. Hey, how much for one of those ice cream cones? They are ice cream, aren't they - not that frozen yuckurt stuff, right?
Oiy! Frozen Yogurt is seriously nice. As is sorbet...
Old 10-01-2008, 11:30 AM   #15
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
And, I was busy getting things in place for my new toy:

Except the black one.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote