Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Basically that error log indicates it is waiting for a response from the remote server, which means that its attempts to communicate are being blocked. Unfortunately, I'm no network guru, so I can't debug this remotely for you.
I assume you are just using the standard port 80? If so, if the browser can hit the feeds, I don't see why calibre can't.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:06 AM   #32
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
Kovid,
I opened a ticket on calibre. But I am a bit unsure if I did it correctly. I found three patches for Python 2.52 on MacPorts which I believe will fix the installation of Python under Leopard. I don't know how to apply them and absolutely no info accompanied them. I assume that the authors assumed that any one brave enough to attempt patching Python knows what they are doing. And you and I know what assume translates out to being?

In any event I am attaching a zip file with the three patches and am willing to be a guinea pig.
Attached Files
File Type: zip patches.zip (3.5 KB, 371 views)
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 02:11 AM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Why do you want to install python separately? Doesn't leopard come with python?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 07:04 AM   #34
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

I was attempting to install all of the packages necessary to look at the source code of calibre. I told you I frequently go were angels fear to tread. In any event when I attempted the install of brz it automatically installed 2.52 and I didn't have any idea as to how to stop it.

That being said Leopard does indeed come with 2.51 installed. And if I can revert and finish the install of brz that would be ok to.

Just checked in terminal and 2.51 is still live and kicking. So what do I do now?

Last edited by Deputy-Dawg; 05-24-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: added info
Old 05-24-2008, 11:00 AM   #35
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah well in that case you can install bzr with the command

Code:
sudo easy_install-2.5 bzr
Advert
Old 05-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #36
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie

Tried:

Code:
sudo easy_install-2.5 bzr
and got:

users-macbook-air:~ BillC$ sudo easy_install-2.5 bzr
Password:
Searching for bzr
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/bzr/
Reading http://www.bazaar-vcs.org/
Reading http://www.bazaar-vcs.org/Download
Best match: bzr 1.5-i486-1
Downloading http://launchpad.net/bzr/1.5/1.5/+do...1.5-i486-1.tgz
Processing bzr-1.5-i486-1.tgz
error: Couldn't find a setup script in /tmp/easy_install-x9WFkd/bzr-1.5-i486-1.tgz
users-macbook-air:~ BillC$
Old 05-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #37
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hmm I'm assuming the instructions here http://bazaar-vcs.org/MacOSXBundle dont work for you?
Old 05-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Note that you can also get the source code from here http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/downloads
Old 05-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #39
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie

Kovid,
I went to http://bazaar-vcs.org/MacOSXBundle and I was able get a .dmg file that installed bzr. But when I attempted to download calibre source it errored out with an out of memory error. I have posted a bug report as directed and am waiting for an answer. This type of error has been problem in a few other programs under Leopard. Sigh!

I have also gone to whatismyip.com and did a fetch of my IP. I am shocked at how much info they can gather on an individuals system. So much so that I am reluctant to post on a public board. Part of the report concerns the characteristics of the browser being used. In that part of the report it shows:

Remote Port: 14027

If this is of any help in figuring out why I cannot download a feed please let me know. If you would like to take a look at the full report please tell me how to get it to you without posting it on a public board.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #40
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

See the last post here http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net/discussion/2/36 the solution I give is to fix the memory error.

You can post the information to me via a private message on mobileread.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:26 PM   #41
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Kovid,

I cannot get the latest version of Calibre (0.4.62) to recognize my Reader. (I also couldn't get the prior version to recognize it.) The Sony Connect software does recognize it. The Reader does show as a lettered drive in My Computer and double-clicking the drive shows everything that is loaded on the Reader.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by rhadin; 05-27-2008 at 02:37 PM. Reason: add info about My Computer
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM   #42
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another question: When Calibre converts a .lit to a .lrf, is there a way to upload the .lrf to the Reader other than by using Calibre? (I'm looking for a fallback option for when Calibre doesn't recognize my Reader.)
Old 05-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #43
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
rhadin--In Calibre you do have the option to "save to disk". This will save a copy of the .lrf on your computer. You can then use the Sony Reader software, or just drag and drop in Explorer to get your file on your reader.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #44
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding

Thanks, dordale. For some reason, Save to Disk didn't click with me.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #45
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Thanks, dordale. For some reason, Save to Disk didn't click with me.
You can save to disk right to the 505 also, if you can see the drive mounted in your file system.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote