Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #31
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
Hmm, I see a "LAN-connection 2". But after about 2 seconds Windows shows "Netzwerkkabel wurde entfernt". Output from ipconfig /all:
Code:
Ethernet-Adapter LAN-Verbindung 2:

Medienstatus. . . . . . . . . . . : Medium getrennt
   Verbindungsspezifisches DNS-Suffix:
   Beschreibung. . . . . . . . . . . : USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget
   Physikalische Adresse . . . . . . : 22-A8-5F-66-A7-BA
   DHCP aktiviert. . . . . . . . . . : Ja
   Autokonfiguration aktiviert . . . : Ja
Regards
Koboyashi
Ethernet adapter local area connection 2:

Media status.... : Medium separated
Connection-specific DNS suffix:
Description.... : USB Ethernet/RNDIS gadget
Physical address... : 22-A8-5F-66-A7-BA
DHCP enabled.: Yes
Autoconfiguration enabled...: Yes

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS

seems to say that either the USB cable is not attacked OR the driver is not loading / active on the Kobo.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #33
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Okay, connection is enabled now. The trick:

1) Connect Glo via USB.
2) "Network and sharing center"->"Adapter settings" shows "Medium separated" (or
so - in German "Netzwerkkabel wurde entfernt" -> network cable disconnected.
3) Disable the adapter. This is important - otherwise the adapter disappears after next step.
4) Disconnect Glo from USB.
5) Connect Glo via USB again (same USB input!).
6) Enable the adapter.

What a mess -.-
Finally I can ping the Glo - that's all. No SSH (SSH Secure Shell), no SFTP (FileZilla).
nmap -T4 -F 192.168.142.22 shows:
Code:
Starting Nmap 6.25 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2013-10-25 01:28 Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit
Skipping SYN Stealth Scan against 192.168.142.22 because Windows does not support scanning your own machine (localhost) this way.
Nmap scan report for 192.168.142.22
Host is up.

PORT      STATE   SERVICE
7/tcp     unknown echo
9/tcp     unknown discard
13/tcp    unknown daytime
21/tcp    unknown ftp
22/tcp    unknown ssh
23/tcp    unknown telnet
25/tcp    unknown smtp
26/tcp    unknown rsftp
37/tcp    unknown time
53/tcp    unknown domain
79/tcp    unknown finger
80/tcp    unknown http
And so on. MyLanViewer shows port 80 open - that's quite useless...

Last edited by Koboyashi; 10-24-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:51 PM   #34
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post

seems to say that either the USB cable is not attacked OR the driver is not loading / active on the Kobo.
Netzwerkkabel wurde entfernt".

"Network cable has been removed"

Luck;
Ken
Old 10-24-2013, 09:37 PM   #35
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Netzwerkkabel wurde entfernt".
"Network cable has been removed"
Exactly, thanks
Meanwhile I figured out that dropbear doesn't start - no new entries in /etc/dropbear/dropbear.log
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #36
Aydan
Connoisseur
Aydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with others

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
nmap -T4 -F 192.168.142.22 shows:
This would be the IP of your PC/MAC, the kobo has 192.168.142.1
I think dropbear is not logging because it's not configured, but I'll check again.
You could also try to reinstall the autousbnet package. maybe something went wrong during installation. But if the interface comes up OK, then there's really no reason why dropbear shouldn't come up.

Regards
Aydan.

Last edited by Aydan; 10-28-2013 at 05:16 AM.
Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #37
Koboyashi
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aydan View Post
This would be the IP of your PC/MAC, the kobo has 192.168.142.1
Hmm, no. The fixed IP of my PC is 192.168.178.54 - and with 192.168.142.22, assigned via DHCP, I can connect to the Glo via Usbnet. Dropbear couldn't start because port 22 is already in use on the Glo - don't know why. There's no other SSH server/service running. So I started dropbear on another port (8123) but I cannot login.

Meanwhile I've cancelled that Usbnet stuff and use FTP & Telnet via WiFi as before.

Regards
Koboyashi
Old 10-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #38
Aydan
Connoisseur
Aydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with othersAydan plays well with others

Device: Kobo Touch
What port is your telnet using?
192.168.178.54 is the ethernet interface of your PC, right? So this has no influence at all. You should not set the kobo to the same subnet as your PC and if you add a fixed address to the PC side of the subnet you have to use the range of 192.168.142.2-254. otherwise you're in the wrong subnet and the routing will fail.
Aydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:08 PM   #39
Koboyashi
Zealot

>What port is your telnet using?
Port 23
>192.168.178.54 is the ethernet interface of your PC, right?
Yes. And it will remain in that subnet.
>So this has no influence at all.
I see.
>You should not set the kobo to the same subnet as your PC and if you add a fixed address to the PC side of the subnet you have to use the range of 192.168.142.2-254. otherwise you're in the wrong subnet and the routing will fail.
The Kobo is not set to the same subnet as my PC. The Usbnet adapter settings are untouched except for changing the dropbear port from 22 to 8123 - that port setting should have no influence at all.

I also gave up the whole stuff (for now) because of the trouble connecting the Glo via Usbnet (see posting #33) - and I cannot login with dropbear.

Regards
Koboyashi
Old 10-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #40
Ken Maltby
Wizard

At one time I used to have Sergey's USBnet started along with Koreader and it worked well for a long time. Then at some point that stopped working. Now I can start and shut down the USBnet from the pbchess launcher. So while I can't get this auto USBnet working I don't really need it. I can use the USB connect media connection provided by Kobo or I can use the launcher's USBnet with "WinSCP" and/or "putty", to do pretty much anything I might need.

I also believe that with the "onstart" of "fmon", it should be possible to start a USBnet much easier than what this approach entails.

Luck;
Ken
Old 10-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #41
Koboyashi
Zealot

Quote:
I also believe that with the "onstart" of "fmon", it should be possible to start a USBnet much easier than what this approach entails.
Sounds interesting. Maybe one can start the USBnet with a shell script on the Glo. I would rather launch USBnet manually whenever I need it, than automatically every time I connect to the Glo.
The advantage of USBnet is for me that I can "fiddle around" in the Glo without draining the battery - and with nickel alive of course.

Regards
Koboyashi

Last edited by Koboyashi; 10-29-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #42
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Sounds interesting. Maybe one can start the USBnet with a shell script on the Glo. I would rather launch USBnet manually whenever I need it, than automatically every time I connect to the Glo.
The advantage of USBnet is for me that I can "fiddle around" in the Glo without draining the battery - and with nickel alive of course.

Regards
Koboyashi
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=1

This post has some information on setting up the USBnet included in the KoboLauncher, included in the Pbchess download.

"Pbchess-1.2.6.14_kobo.zip" is the currently announced version. (Sergey put a hold on 1.2.15, for now)

I think 1.2.6.14 still includes "fmon". If not it is also on Sergey's site someplace.

Luck;
Ken
Old 10-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
Koboyashi
Zealot

Quote:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...67&postcount=1

This post has some information on setting up the USBnet included in the KoboLauncher, included in the Pbchess download.
Wow! Thank you Seems to be OT here but ... inside Pbchess I found \mnt\onboard\.kobo\KoboLauncher\usbnet.sh - maybe that's enough to launch a USBnet, dropbear and SFTP manually. I'll see...

Regards
Koboyashi
Old 10-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #44
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Wow! Thank you Seems to be OT here but ... inside Pbchess I found \mnt\onboard\.kobo\KoboLauncher\usbnet.sh - maybe that's enough to launch a USBnet, dropbear and SFTP manually. I'll see...

Regards
Koboyashi
The "\mnt\onboard\.kobo\KoboLauncher\usbnet\start. sh" used to do it, if I remember correctly. Edit: It is no longer there, and the messages in the usbnet.sh file match the way the current version of USBnet works when started fron the launcher. I will make the changes in my scripts.

Edit: With my scripts changed to "\mnt\onboard\.kobo\KoboLauncher\usbnet.sh" it is working like it used to, just as if I had started it with the launcher. Like you I only want to use it on occasions, so I will comment it out of my Koreader launching scripts and just use it from Sergey's KoboLauncher, when I want it on. But, if I wanted it to come on automatically it would be easy to add that line to the "onstart.sh" script.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 10-29-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 05:30 AM   #45
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Thanks for your work, Aydan! I'm using your scripts on my kobo mini and replaced udhcpd by dnsmasq, so after a few seconds after plugging usb I can login with root@kobo.usb.

You could give it a try! dnsmasq is great for dns and dhcp server in embedded devices like our kobos

PS1: the KoboRoot.tgz attached on first post (v2) does not work out of the box, seems that you use ETHER_MODULE_LOADED to look at lsmod, but after that you check for USBNET_MODULE_LOADED (which does not exists)
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote