Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
Kakyou
Kakyou began at the beginning.

Device: Many
Free Neil Gaiman online ebook - American Gods

As thanks to his blog readers, Neil Gaiman and his publisher have made American Gods available online for the next month.

You can view the book (no downloads) here

http://browseinside.harpercollins.co...lAccess_022208

Read his blog here for more details.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/
Kakyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Thanks for the heads up.

It might be my connexion, but that site loaded slower than a turtle with a six-shooter.

I applaud their effort, but their delivery seems to be off.

It seems that these 'release to online' type of deals miss part of the point of digital texts. Or rather, they offend me because it is another case of content provider attempting total, perfect control, dictating exactly, how, when, where, and for how long a consumer has access to content.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakyou View Post
As thanks to his blog readers, Neil Gaiman and his publisher have made American Gods available online for the next month.

Aaargh!!

I just bought that one and downloaded it last week.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gaiman claims his aim is to drive so much traffic there that Harper Collins gives the book away. Really gives it away. Guess I'll need to hit ye old 'feedback' button.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please everyone send feedback telling them we do not want PDF. We want RTF or HTML. We already had experience with Mistborn from Tor as a PDF and it wasn't nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Cthulhu
Technologist

Jon:

I told them good job for letting me browse the book, but the site was woefully slow, and that their "here's some ebook places" faux link stunk.

Doubt that the text will be available to download soon, so I tried to be as positive as possible.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I applaud the good motive and effort, but... gah! that was an awful book.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:16 PM   #8
Cthulhu
Technologist

taylor: really?

Did you like his other works?
Like most of the thing he's done, but trying to get into the book online was making my eyes bleed.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps to my loss, that was the first book of his I read, and I haven't been able to force myself to take another bite. That sounds unfair when I say it... but there are too many other authors I like that I know will be good, and new others (to me) waiting in line for a chance.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I rather liked it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
Cthulhu
Technologist

taylor:

Entreat you to try some of his earlier stories. His collaboration with Pratchett is a marvelous send-up of The Omen , and many of his books exist in a wonderfully conjectured 'other England' where magic is real, yet forgotten. Frankly, am surprise no one ever ties some of his novels and Ms. Rowling together.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 PM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

"many of his books exist in a wonderfully conjectured 'other England' where magic is real, yet forgotten."

Similar to Jonathan Strange & M. Norell? I depart this weekend for a trip to Boston (OnDemand Expo anyone? Send me a PM!) and will forgo a re-read of The Surgeon's Mate to try one. Any particular title I should start with?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Is it just me or is that an appalling way to read the book? Not only can I not see how to record my place in the book, I can't even copy a chunk of text out so I can search for my place later. And no keyboard navigation? Who are these people? At least the scroll wheel works.

Specifically, I'm not so much against pdf, I'm against any ebook that is images instead of text. Bah!

Hmm, for those with a lot of patience, if you scroll to the end and wait long enough (twitching the scroll wheel every now and then to prompt more downloading) you will have all the images loaded. Assuming your browser can handle a page that big. Then you can save the page and view the jpg of each page in your own happy way. All 615/47MB of them. Oh, and it's sufficiently dumb that it doesn't cache the dowload (probably so you can't copy the images out of its cache)

Last edited by moz; 02-29-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: caching comment
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:53 AM   #14
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. I rather liked it.
I've read 'Neverwhere' and 'Coraline' by Gaiman, both worth reading but not exactly great stuff.

Neverwhere was made into a BBC 3hour drama (made while he was writing it...the director kept telling him to change scenes) and can be rented from Netflix or Blockbuster.

For a really, really good read try 'Warbreaker' by Brandon Sanderson that Jon posted up in the uploads sections a few weeks ago.

You will not be disappointed.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #15
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
I very much enjoyed American Gods. If you like Neil Gaiman's other works you should definitely give this one a try, not necessarily from this web page though...
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free book, neil gaiman