Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Left-handed or Right-handed? Which are you?
Right handed 81 68.07%
Left handed 30 25.21%
Ambidextrous 8 6.72%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #121
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In feudal Japan, it was forbidden by law to be left-handed, at least when you were samurai. Wikipedia says that many people are still forced to convert to right-handedness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_ag...-handed_people

Strangely enough, being left-handed would have been an advantage for writing Japanese as far as I can see, because you start at the right side of the page.
It could have to do with the art of writing. I took a class when I lived there--and I forget the name of it, but the characters require a special brush and you end the characters with a certain fade that shows the brush strokes. This effect is much harder to achieve using your left hand because you are crossing your body--so you have a tendency to cut the strokes short or not "feather" them correctly. Each of the symbols taught have certain pressure points--fat lines, skinny lines and then these feather up strokes to end (in many). I did just fine with my left hand, but the teacher used to try and get me to use my right so that I could finish with a flourish (it's just not as impressive when doing it across your body.)

Sadly I didn't get to take samuri training so I can't speak to that.

When I tried with the...archery club (sorry, can't remember what kind of bow) I never got past the "hold" part. The entire first part of the class was pulling the bow and holding it in position to strengthen the arms. We would pull and hold for what seemed like hours. This was all done at first without an arrow. Then when we had an arrow it wasn't tipped. Not that my arrows would have gone anywhere. Just getting that thing pulled back was hard enough and after standing there holding it for an eon, I wasn't likely to care about AIMING!!!!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #122
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
The fact about japanese tradition is astounding, How come a country of nearly no contact to europe evolves the same prejudice

Because, left handed people are a minority in society, therefor they are inferior. Every culture has people it considers "lesser" and it is usually some "odd" thing about them that can be obvious in certain situations. Skin color, height, handedness, etc.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 07:04 PM   #123
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
In feudal Japan, it was forbidden by law to be left-handed, at least when you were samurai. Wikipedia says that many people are still forced to convert to right-handedness:
No longer in Japan. It was the case 30-40 years ago but it's now against the rules of the 'Mumbusho,' the Ministry of Education, to try to force children to change hands.

Quote:
Strangely enough, being left-handed would have been an advantage for writing Japanese as far as I can see, because you start at the right side of the page.
Very handy when writing vertically! Starting at the right margin is only done for vertical writing. But most hand written pages are written horizontally from left to right. Vertical is reserved for formal letters, important documents, and some of the printed books.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #124
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Ambidextrous - and very useful for a musician! But I write right-handed due to teachers telling me it would be "better" to be right handed! Better for who? I'll bet that ambidextrous people suffer less from RSI as you can change hands if one gets tired from using a mouse or a touch pad.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #125
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
BearMB: with archery you mean kyudo I assume.
I'm astonished against said prejudice in sword fight. How is it in disciplines being not as close to formal duelling as western sport fencing is? (a lot of rules like not touching tbe opponents blade etc. come from informal gentleman's agreement duel rules I think.) How is it in disciplines which still more resemble fighting for survival? Is there having a different dominant hand than the opponent an advantage or a disadvantage? (I'm thinking about circling, parrying dodging, feinting)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #126
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Even serrated knives are made for right handed people... We lefties have learned to unconciously tip them a bit to get the serrations to have more effect.

I'm an not so surprised at the fact that we are now showing almost 3x the world average for percentage of lefties. We must be a very creative bunch!

Stitchawl
Or the average right-y just thinks "what's the big deal, I'm 'normal'?!" and is avoiding the poll.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #127
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
How is it in disciplines which still more resemble fighting for survival? Is there having a different dominant hand than the opponent an advantage or a disadvantage? (I'm thinking about circling, parrying dodging, feinting)
In sport fencing with epe'e, (the closest in rules to real combat as the entire body is a valid target and double touches (simultaneous hits) count,) it definitely pays to be left-handed, but only if your opponent has limited practice against lefties. As a left-handed fencer I was fortunate to have a couple of other lefties in my clubs so I could get the practice against that stance. But without exposure to left-handed opponents, any fencer (or fighter) is at a disadvantage. Blocks, parries, and counter-attacks that work so well against a right handed fight just don't work at all against lefties.

Stitchawl
Old 02-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #128
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I'm astonished against said prejudice in sword fight. How is it in disciplines being not as close to formal duelling as western sport fencing is? (a lot of rules like not touching tbe opponents blade etc. come from informal gentleman's agreement duel rules I think.) How is it in disciplines which still more resemble fighting for survival? Is there having a different dominant hand than the opponent an advantage or a disadvantage? (I'm thinking about circling, parrying dodging, feinting)
Yes, thank you. Kyudo it was. I had to go look for the pictures and that is exactly correct.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #129
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
With no disrespect to the original poster, there were (and still are) several 'schools' of Japanese sword use that teach two swords, one in each hand. Miyamoto was famous for this (Same guy who wrote 'The Book of Five Rings.) His school is called 'Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu.' Two other schools of Japanese sword that use two swords at once are Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto-ryu and it's descendant school Shinkage ryu.

Left-handed kendo players are as rare as left-handed fencers, but they exist. They just hide us in the corner.

Stitchawl
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #130
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
Goofy-footed is not that seldom, AFAIK nearly 30-40% (or so my snowboard teacher told me once), maybe the amount of left-handness would come out to similar numbers if it was not supressed.
Is there religious rejection of lefties in other cultures other than christian? Here only "rightness" is considered good, remember the "sinistre" some posts ago
in the Muslim world, left handedness is EXTREMELY looked down upon, you cannot even touch someone with your left hand. that is the hand that is used for cleaning your butt sans t.p.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:34 PM   #131
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
You know, Muslims got t.p. in the past years..
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #132
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by medard View Post
You know, Muslims got t.p. in the past years..
it's still got the juju
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #133
Stitchawl
Opsimath

In Malaysia and Thailand too. Always use the left hand and water. But you can find rolls of toilet paper on all the restaurant tables for cleaning your hands before eating. Strange world.

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #134
Jasmine GreenTea
Enthusiast
Jasmine GreenTea began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Elipsa E2, Kobo Aura H20 ed 2, Kobo Clara, Sony PRS T2 & T3
Left-handed

I am fully and proudly left-handed.

I can however use my right hand to write. I always use my right hand to write on the black-/whiteboard. I can also use both hands to write simultaneously.
Jasmine GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #135
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine GreenTea View Post
I can also use both hands to write simultaneously.
Only simultaneously? Or other words too?

Question for all... WHY?? Why are we almost three times the world 'norm' for percentage of lefties?

Stitchawl