Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
flow_
flow_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3: rootfs files needed (mmcblk0p1.dmp) K3 3G (UK [B00A])

Hi Everybody,

I have a bricked Kindle.

I think that some file in rootfs got corrupted hence I'm looking for someone to send me an image of the rootfs of a working K3 3G (UK [B00A] to try and repair it. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.
flow_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by flow_ View Post
Hi Everybody,

I have a bricked Kindle.

I think that some file in rootfs got corrupted hence I'm looking for someone to send me an image of the rootfs of a working K3 3G (UK [B00A] to try and repair it. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you.
Would you be willing to share the process of how your going to get it onto the machine?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
flow_

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Would you be willing to share the process of how your going to get it onto the machine?
Maybe put in the file-sharing site?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I think knc1 rather meant to encourage you to describe the procedure you use to place this image or files within it onto your Kindle.

I hope someone will provide an image, however, knc1 and me can't.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I think knc1 rather meant to encourage you to describe the procedure you use to place this image or files within it onto your Kindle.

I hope someone will provide an image, however, knc1 and me can't.
Exactly so.

We have a recent thread here which I thought described how a user restored the main file system image to their K3.

But others here have posted that the thread does not contain the information on the process required.

Since there are a number of members here that currently need to do this, we would certainly give thread space to someone willing to tell us how it is done.

We would even hand out Wiki space for a full write-up.

There is a "K3 Rescue and Recovery" index entry - just waiting for some facts to be hung on it.

Last edited by knc1; 06-27-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
There is a K3 image in the simple debricking forensics pastebin. I do not know which version of K3 it is for (perhaps US). If the UK version is different, it would be nice to get an image of that for the forensics archive too...

Another problem with backup images is that the root pw no longer matches your serial number. I like to replace the password hash with a "mario" hash. Otherwise the root pw can be cracked with the fiona wordlist (in tools index) using john (the ripper).

When I am able (in a few weeks) I will add root pw to each backup image description in the pastebin.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-28-2012 at 06:56 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
flow_

I have a mmcblk0p1.dmp for kindle3 3g US, it suit?
Old 06-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have a mmcblk0p1.dmp for kindle3 3g US, it suit?
If the kernel modules in that image can be loaded by the kernel in your Kindle...
Most likely yes - although the 3g carrier information may be wrong.
In the US, the 3g service is via AT&T - in GB ???

So make and keep a copy of your "broken" system image before you overwrite it. You may have to pull the 3g carrier stuff for your country out of that "broken" image.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If the kernel modules in that image can be loaded by the kernel in your Kindle...

So make and keep a copy of your "broken" system image before you overwrite it. You may have to pull the 3g carrier stuff for your country out of that "broken" image.
You can select carriers in the Alt-311 screen.

In any case, good to make a backup copy of your "damaged" main partition first (swap the if= and of= parameters), then you can mount it and repair any damage to files in that image file on a linux host PC (or in a VM). And then you can "dd" your own repaired image file onto the kindle later if you need to...
Old 06-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Vodafone. But a US 3G Kindle works just fine in the UK; I have one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
flow_

I will try to use the US. Thanks to all
Old 06-28-2012, 10:30 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I will try to use the US. Thanks to all
Thinking about it, it may not work. Remember that a US Kindle has an AT&T SIM card in it; a UK Kindle has a Vodafone SIM in it. The fact that a US Kindle works in the UK doesn't necessarily mean that a US ROM image (with AT&T config data) will correctly talk to the Vodafone SIM that's in a UK Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Well, it might work for the OP, depending on how it is used. When only used to extract some files - not including 3G config - that may be fine. But then the question could have been for those files only in the first place...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
geekmaster

In any case, the OP should make a backup copy of his mmcblk0p1 before writing the US version to his mmc. Then he could compare them to see what he changed (ignoring the 3G driver differences).

Another concern is IF there is 3G-specific stuff in the kernel. If the 3G stuff is all loadable kernel modules, then probably no problem with kernel differences.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
In any case, the OP should make a backup copy of his mmcblk0p1 before writing the US version to his mmc. Then he could compare them to see what he changed (ignoring the 3G driver differences).

Another concern is IF there is 3G-specific stuff in the kernel. If the 3G stuff is all loadable kernel modules, then probably no problem with kernel differences.
Its just ppp over a usb serial line. Other than standard kernel drivers for usb serial, nothing special about the kernel.

Hmm...
It seems that I have seen a "firmware loader" in some of the images I have looked at which would do a firmware upload to the "other arm" (3G card) on boot up.

But the one(s) I was looking at didn't have a firmware image to upload (just using the default image in the 3G SoC).

That would be another good reason to keep a copy of that "broken" firmware image. There might be a GB specific 3G SoC firmware image in it.