Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #31
missjane
missjane began at the beginning.

Device: (kobo touch) (kobo glo) kobo aura 2nd ed
My 0.02: I also read 'Infinite Jest' on the kobo touch - my copy was the kobo store epub version, and yes, there were a lot of footnotes, and even footnotes from footnotes, but it certainly wasn't unreadable for me, indeed I spent much of the time thinking to myself 'man am I glad I'm doing this with an ebook not a paperback!' There was one (I'm pretty sure it was only one) footnote where the hotlinks took you to the wrong entry. Or possibly returned you to the wrong place in the text. But that is a fairly minor quibble in a work with over 200 pages worth of footnotes. And, Wildgift, I still don't know what is being refered to wrt the 'footnotes in the top line' problem.
missjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #32
wastelander
wastelander began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I'll be happy to include you in our list, M. Wasteland, and a belated welcome to Mobile Read. What sort of disadvantage to the Kobo Touch and Kindle 4 are you interested in becoming?
Thank you for the welcome & help everyone

I guess the main type of disadvantages im after are freezing issues, reliabilty, battery life, ease of use etc etc
wastelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #33
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
You're welcome, M. Wastelander. My greeting and offer were sincere. (I was also kidding with you a bit in terms of the wording.)

The only freezes you're likely to experience are with books that are formatted really badly. In my experience, that problem will repeat itself on whichever reader you try, and the books in question aren't usually obtained commercially.

The battery life on all of the e-ink readers tends to be stellar, and the specs are quite similar, so the user's experience, catalog availability (depending on where you live) and the feel of the hardware are probably the deciding factors. I don't know what Kobo's return policy is like (for hardware), but if it's anything like Amazon's, you shouldn't have any trouble trying out both.

The other issue is the format, of course. Amazon is ubiquitous, and they often have the best prices and selection, but mobi is their format, whereas the Kobo uses epub, which is more universal and which I myself prefer. Additionally, the newer version of mobi (format 8) is said to be a lot harder to crack, and I don't like the idea of not being able to read the books I buy on any reader I choose.

One disadvantage to the Kobo can be pricing, since Amazon regularly beats the ventricles out of other stores with its carefully finessed pricing edge. But Kobo has been known to have some excellent sales (though I'm waiting for them to have one on the sorts of books I actually buy).

§§§§§§§§§§§§

Which brings me to people's comments on Infinite Jest. I've been deliberating about whether or not to buy the Kindle (or ePub) edition of Raymond Roussel's New Impressions of Africa because I have a hard time believing anyone went to the trouble to format it to be read idiomatically.

This particular book is an endless epic poem which is made up entirely of parentheses interrupted by other parentheses. Additionally, the book is bilingual.

In a physical copy, the reader who wants to understand each sentence sans interruptions would use post-its to mark the places where the parens resume. I can see the person who formatted the book taking the trouble to do the footnotes and ToC correctly. I can even see them linking open parens (though I doubt they did). But I can't imagine they linked the last word of each interrupted sentence to its ultimate continuation.

The problem with banging out e-book editions of paper-idiomatic books is that the elegant transposition required to make the e-book enjoyable will likely be glossed over, putting the book in danger of becoming unreadable in its new medium.

§§§§§§§§§§

One question: Does the Kobo allow for the switching of multiple inline dictionaries the way that Sony readers do? If so, that's an advantage. I've had to convert several of my mobi books to epub just to read them on my Sony readers and take advantage of that feature.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-22-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #34
wastelander

Quote:
You're welcome, M. Wastelander. My greeting and offer were sincere. (I was also kidding with you a bit in terms of the wording.)

The only freezes you're likely to experience are with books that are formatted really badly. In my experience, that problem will repeat itself on whichever reader you try, and the books in question aren't usually obtained commercially.

The battery life on all of the e-ink readers tends to be stellar, and the specs are quite similar, so the user's experience, catalog availability (depending on where you live) and the feel of the hardware are probably the deciding factors. I don't know what Kobo's return policy is like (for hardware), but if it's anything like Amazon's, you shouldn't have any trouble trying out both.

The other issue is the format, of course. Amazon is ubiquitous, and they often have the best prices and selection, but mobi is their format, whereas the Kobo uses epub, which is more universal and which I myself prefer. Additionally, the newer version of mobi (format 8) is said to be a lot harder to crack, and I don't like the idea of not being able to read the books I buy on any reader I choose.

One disadvantage to the Kobo can be pricing, since Amazon regularly beats the ventricles out of other stores with its carefully finessed pricing edge. But Kobo has been known to have some excellent sales (though I'm waiting for them to have one on the sorts of books I actually buy).

§§§§§§§§§§§§

Which brings me to people's comments on Infinite Jest. I've been deliberating about whether or not to buy the Kindle (or ePub) edition of Raymond Roussel's New Impressions of Africa because I have a hard time believing anyone went to the trouble to format it to be read idiomatically.

This particular book is an endless epic poem which is made up entirely of parentheses interrupted by other parentheses. Additionally, the book is bilingual.

In a physical copy, the reader who wants to understand each sentence sans interruptions would use post-its to mark the places where the parens resume. I can see the person who formatted the book taking the trouble to do the footnotes and ToC correctly. I can even see them linking open parens (though I doubt they did). But I can't imagine they linked the last word of each interrupted sentence to its ultimate continuation.

The problem with banging out e-book editions of paper-idiomatic books is that the elegant transposition required to make the e-book enjoyable will likely be glossed over, putting the book in danger of becoming unreadable in its new medium.

§§§§§§§§§§

One question: Does the Kobo allow for the switching of multiple inline dictionaries the way that Sony readers do? If so, that's an advantage. I've had to convert several of my mobi books to epub just to read them on my Sony readers and take advantage of that feature.
Thanks for that

Also are the dictionaries built into these readers? if im reading a book and want to know the meaning of a word, will I get an instant definition or does it need to connect to the internet?

The kindle is currently £89 as its been for "time out of mind" and the Kobo Touch is £79 whereas it started off at £110. The Kobo was released in May 2011 and with May around the corner is it worth waiting for the newer model potentially being released?

My main liking of the Kindle are the page turn buttons and those 'read it kindle' apps for chrome that you send wiki articles to the device, as far as i'm aware the Kobo has nothing like this, right and the only way to read wiki would be to connect to the internet? Or can the Kobo save articles for offline reading?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastelander View Post
Also are the dictionaries built into these readers? if im reading a book and want to know the meaning of a word, will I get an instant definition or does it need to connect to the internet?
Inline dictionaries are the ones which are usually included with the reader and which give you definitions the moment you select a word. On my Kindle Keyboard, the only two choices are American and British English, whereas on my Sony Reader, I have multiple language dictionaries. However, later firmware updates for more recent Kindle models (such as the Kindle Touch) seem to include more languages. I'd look into multiple inline dictionaries on the Kobo, which might well have them.

The Wikipedia option is there for looking up information on the web, but I haven't used it since first trying out my Kindle, as web surfing with the majority of e-readers tends to be frustrating. What tend to be more useful are note-taking apps, which are available on the Sony and Kindle.

Quote:
The kindle is currently £89 as its been for "time out of mind" and the Kobo Touch is £79 whereas it started off at £110. The Kobo was released in May 2011 and with May around the corner is it worth waiting for the newer model potentially being released?
Readers with newer features are being released all around. There's going to be a lighted Kindle, for example, which, like the new Nook ST Glow, will have a switchable light within the screen that allows for less accessory-driven reading in the dark.

If you can afford to wait, there's no harm. For one thing, the models you might be satisfied with now will either get cheaper or be available refurbished in numbers as people who want the latest return the readers they've just bought.

Quote:
My main liking of the Kindle are the page turn buttons and those 'read it kindle' apps for chrome that you send wiki articles to the device, as far as i'm aware the Kobo has nothing like this, right and the only way to read wiki would be to connect to the internet? Or can the Kobo save articles for offline reading?
First, Kobo does have dedicated apps for smartphones, laptops &tc.

Second, using the e-book conversion and library management application Calibre (which is available for all platforms and all readers you're considering) will allow you to not only read articles from the web in e-book form but download subscriptions to them regularly.
Advert
Old 04-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #36
wastelander

Quote:
Inline dictionaries are the ones which are usually included with the reader and which give you definitions the moment you select a word. On my Kindle Keyboard, the only two choices are American and British English, whereas on my Sony Reader, I have multiple language dictionaries. However, later firmware updates for more recent Kindle models (such as the Kindle Touch) seem to include more languages. I'd look into multiple inline dictionaries on the Kobo, which might well have them.

The Wikipedia option is there for looking up information on the web, but I haven't used it since first trying out my Kindle, as web surfing with the majority of e-readers tends to be frustrating. What tend to be more useful are note-taking apps, which are available on the Sony and Kindle.

Readers with newer features are being released all around. There's going to be a lighted Kindle, for example, which, like the new Nook ST Glow, will have a switchable light within the screen that allows for less accessory-driven reading in the dark.

If you can afford to wait, there's no harm. For one thing, the models you might be satisfied with now will either get cheaper or be available refurbished in numbers as people who want the latest return the readers they've just bought.

First, Kobo does have dedicated apps for smartphones, laptops &tc.

Second, using the e-book conversion and library management application Calibre (which is available for all platforms and all readers you're considering) will allow you to not only read articles from the web in e-book form but download subscriptions to them regularly.
Once again, thank you for your informative answers, very helpful

Regarding the Kobo apps, I know it has apps but I don't think it has anything like this

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hrome-ntp-icon

Also may I ask, which would you personally go for? K4, KT or wait for a newer model of either?

In terms of reliability / battery life do you rate them the same?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #37
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Hopefully they will be allowed to offer deals on more books soon. Since the Agency pricing model seems to be on it's way out with some of the bigger publishers.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:19 PM   #38
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Hopefully they will be allowed to offer deals on more books soon. Since the Agency pricing model seems to be on it's way out with some of the bigger publishers.
In fact, I've just been finding great offers here on mobile read. You can change the letters from ca to us on the 90% deal and get two really expensive books for about a dollar each. I don't think I've ever seen Amazon offer 90% off on any book in the store. The Kobo books look excellent, too.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #39
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Wow, that's awesome. The ten dollar off looks great too. Unfortunately I don't see any books that I want

Last edited by The Terminator; 04-24-2012 at 08:49 PM.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #40
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Even if the Kindle you were to choose doesn't come with multiple language dictionaries, you can always buy one or more for the language you need.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:57 PM   #41
arciervo
arciervo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastelander View Post

I'm curious whether you considered the Sony PRS-T1. (I'm not sure how it compares price-wise in your country, against the Kobo and Kindle.)

Compared to the Kobo, I find the Sony a much fuller-featured device:
1) Multiple built-in dictionaries (American English, British English, English <-> French, English <-> German, English <-> Spanish, English <-> Italian, English <-> Dutch). I've found this very useful in translating foreign words and phrases within books. (This doesn't require an internet connection.)
2) Integrated Wikipedia and Google search (when connected to the internet). I find it very handy to select a name or phrase within a book and then look it up in Wikipedia for more details. For offline viewing of Wikipedia articles, these can be saved as EPUB files into Dropbox (on another machine, using the "dotEPUB" Chrome/Firefox add-on) and loaded into the Sony Reader using the web browser. (I'm not sure if it's possible to create EPUB files from the Sony browser itself.)
3) A supported web browser with multi-touch controls. This allows you to download books directly into the device from various websites (including the Kobo store) without having to use an intermediate PC. You can also load files via the Dropbox mobile website.
4) Direct access to public libraries (where supported). Again, this is very handy and doesn't require an intermediate PC.
5) Dedicated hardware buttons (prev, next, home, back, menu). This makes it much easier to move around within the interface. (I still use swipes to move between pages.)
6) Headphone jack and built-in music player (for AAC and MP3). (I like to listen to classical music while reading a book.)

These features were lacking from the Kobo Touch when I considered buying one around Christmas; some of them may have been added since then. I have no experience with the Kindle and can't say how it compares to the Sony.

As other people have suggested, you might want to wait for the next generation of devices. In particular, a integrated lighting system would be something that would interest me.
arciervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #42
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Even if the Kindle you were to choose doesn't come with multiple language dictionaries, you can always buy one or more for the language you need.
The difference is that inline dictionaries never take you out of the book and function as another level within it. Separate dictionaries require you to exit the book you're reading, open the relevant dictionary, find the word, exit the dictionary and go back to what you were reading. Not the most practical solution if you're reading, say, a book about WWII that contains innumerable phrases in German.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciervo View Post
I'm curious whether you considered the Sony PRS-T1.
No one had suggested the T1 to the OP for obvious reasons (thread topic).

If I were the one making the decision, I'd choose the T1 out of the three (partly because deals in the States make it cheaper than the other two options, and partly because the features appeal to me more).

Then again, I'm not.

The T1 can also read Kobo books if not use the Kobo store. But if the OP is looking for a seamless purchasing experience and lives outside the U.S., I can see why they focused on two readers with built-in store options. The T1's Sony store doesn't really count.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-27-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #43
wastelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciervo View Post
I'm curious whether you considered the Sony PRS-T1. (I'm not sure how it compares price-wise in your country, against the Kobo and Kindle.)

Compared to the Kobo, I find the Sony a much fuller-featured device:
1) Multiple built-in dictionaries (American English, British English, English <-> French, English <-> German, English <-> Spanish, English <-> Italian, English <-> Dutch). I've found this very useful in translating foreign words and phrases within books. (This doesn't require an internet connection.)
2) Integrated Wikipedia and Google search (when connected to the internet). I find it very handy to select a name or phrase within a book and then look it up in Wikipedia for more details. For offline viewing of Wikipedia articles, these can be saved as EPUB files into Dropbox (on another machine, using the "dotEPUB" Chrome/Firefox add-on) and loaded into the Sony Reader using the web browser. (I'm not sure if it's possible to create EPUB files from the Sony browser itself.)
3) A supported web browser with multi-touch controls. This allows you to download books directly into the device from various websites (including the Kobo store) without having to use an intermediate PC. You can also load files via the Dropbox mobile website.
4) Direct access to public libraries (where supported). Again, this is very handy and doesn't require an intermediate PC.
5) Dedicated hardware buttons (prev, next, home, back, menu). This makes it much easier to move around within the interface. (I still use swipes to move between pages.)
6) Headphone jack and built-in music player (for AAC and MP3). (I like to listen to classical music while reading a book.)

These features were lacking from the Kobo Touch when I considered buying one around Christmas; some of them may have been added since then. I have no experience with the Kindle and can't say how it compares to the Sony.

As other people have suggested, you might want to wait for the next generation of devices. In particular, a integrated lighting system would be something that would interest me.
Thank's guys, yeah I haven't considered the PRS-T1 a great deal because it is more expensive than the other readers by a difference of £20-£30 though watching a review on it, it does seem to be a very capable and all round excellent reader, not sure about that shiny plastic case though
Old 04-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #44
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
The difference is that inline dictionaries never take you out of the book and function as another level within it. Separate dictionaries require you to exit the book you're reading, open the relevant dictionary, find the word, exit the dictionary and go back to what you were reading. Not the most practical solution if you're reading, say, a book about WWII that contains innumerable of phrases in German.
On the K3, at least, that isn't true. If the language code is set appropriately in the book and the dictionary, it just works. Don't know about the Touch.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:25 PM   #45
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
On the K3, at least, that isn't true. If the language code is set appropriately in the book and the dictionary, it just works. Don't know about the Touch.
They still aren't included; you have to buy them and they have to be available; most available coded dictionaries in other languages are by Merriam-Webster, lack certain basic information and prove perfunctory. And even if you buy dictionaries or content yourself with (in my experience) atrociously edited Gutenberg foreign language dictionaries with reasonably correct coding, a lot of word forms just aren't recognized. Not a problem with the Sonys.

Also: From my understanding, even on the Touch, you can't set a dictionary as the default which isn't one of the included dictionaries unless you're willing to do a little work. An actual Touch user could tell us, as well as the names of the included dictionaries in the new firmware and how well they work.

See this thread for complaints about foreign language dictionaries on the Touch and Kindles generally. People on that thread got their dictionaries to work using Calibre, so that might be an option for a user who's willing to go beyond simply using the online store.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-27-2012 at 02:37 PM.