Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Question about Oasis 2017 cellular feature

For those that have this feature I am curious how it works? Is it always "on" or do you activate it? I am curious if it contributes to battery drain just sitting there like the wifi supposedly does.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
It's on unless your kindle is in airplane mode. When you're not using airplane mode and you have no wifi reception, you will see the 3G, 4G or LTE status where the wifi is usually displayed.

And it contributes majorly to battery drain in my experience, so I leave it off unless I am downloading something.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #3
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Remember that it is basically a cell phone communications signal so think of how long a cell phone battery lasts with the phone on versus turned off. I have some of the old 3G communcations only Kindles and there is a big difference in battery life between 3g enabled and off on those.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
It stays connected to wifi unles you move out of range or use airplane mode. It does drain the battery. even on airplane mode I am charging my oasis 2 weekly if not twice a week. The battery is horrid. I do not know how amazon gets the 6 weeks on 1 charge for me and the hundreds of amazon reviews most people are complaining
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all the responses. Based upon all I have seen I decided to. It get one. I have the oasis 1 and love it so it was not a slam dunk for me to move up again.
Advert
Old 12-26-2017, 02:28 AM   #6
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
It stays connected to wifi unles you move out of range or use airplane mode. It does drain the battery. even on airplane mode I am charging my oasis 2 weekly if not twice a week. The battery is horrid. I do not know how amazon gets the 6 weeks on 1 charge for me and the hundreds of amazon reviews most people are complaining
In airplane mode and with the light at minimum I am losing about 1% to 2% charge per day on my Oasis 2 32 GTB with wi-fi and 4G communications. That is with the unit in sleep mode. Comparable with my other Kindle e-readers. Bright screen illumination and communications enabled while reading eat up the power pretty quick but I typically read in airplane mode and with minimal screen illumination. Battery usage seems to vary a lot depending onn reader settings.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Is there really a need for the cell? How often will you be out of range of WiFi when you want/need to download an eBook from Amazon? It is going to increase the price of the Oasis and if you don't really need it,don't get it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:03 AM   #8
TheSmitty
Addict

As for need for the cell feature that really depends on how much time you spend in the presence of wifi you can access I guess. My first Kindle (3 keyboard) had the feature but back then I do not think there was wifi ability so it was important. My latest kindle (Oasis 1) does not have the cell feature but I do not really need it since I have wifi at home and work. When out in the world I typically do not have access of course but I am usually just reading.
Having said that, the cell feature would be nice in some regards because I am one of those that typically switches between reading on the kindle and listening to the audible version on my iphone and the whispersync is awesome at keeping my place as I switch between the two. So in those cases having the cell feature so that my Kindle updates where things are would be nice. Right now I have to get my Kindle into Wifi coverage so that it all stays in sync unless I want to do it all manually.

Writing all that made me wonder if the the Oasis 2 keeps things in sync between audible (using Audible on the device) and kindle without the need of wifi or cell since both are on the same hardware?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Writing all that made me wonder if the the Oasis 2 keeps things in sync between audible (using Audible on the device) and kindle without the need of wifi or cell since both are on the same hardware?
Yes. Switching from reading to listening does not require wifi or cell connection.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #10
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
As for need for the cell feature that really depends on how much time you spend in the presence of wifi you can access I guess. My first Kindle (3 keyboard) had the feature but back then I do not think there was wifi ability so it was important.
The 3rd gen kindle (so-called Kindle Keyboard) was the first Kindle to have wifi, according to wikipedia.

And on an unrelated note, my Kindle Paperwhite 3 has wifi only, I tether it to my phone (EDITED to add: via my phone's wifi hotspot) as needed.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
The 3rd gen kindle (so-called Kindle Keyboard) was the first Kindle to have wifi, according to wikipedia.

And on an unrelated note, my Kindle Paperwhite 3 has wifi only, I tether it to my phone (EDITED to add: via my phone's wifi hotspot) as needed.
That's a very good point. Being able to tether to your cell phone mean why pay the extra for cell when it's not needed? I see no need for cell on a Kindle that has WiFi.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That's a very good point. Being able to tether to your cell phone mean why pay the extra for cell when it's not needed? I see no need for cell on a Kindle that has WiFi.
You don't see no need for a Kindle, period. Why should your opinion matter when it comes to cell features.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
You don't see no need for a Kindle, period. Why should your opinion matter when it comes to cell features.
And why would anyone think your opinion matters when you are being rude?
Old 12-27-2017, 08:25 PM   #14
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And why would anyone think your opinion matters when you are being rude?
I am just returning the favor. Maybe layoff with your Kindle hate where ever you post and you would be a much nicer person. I do not seriously consider a Kobo in my future, but that does not mean I have the right to bash them. The screen size of the KA1 is very interesting, and so is probably the options for displaying books. The deeper I research the more I realise that every ereader has its own unique features and problems.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:49 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Just like with Android 4 vs Android 2, they should enable wireless connection by push; meaning, as long as no app requires data, leave it off.
Android 2.3 had horrible battery life, when the GPS was enabled.
In Android 4 and later, you can leave the GPS enabled, and it won't change battery life, unless an app uses the GPS data (If you load Google maps, for instance).

When the GPS signal was off, you could load Google maps, without background battery drain.

I think in a similar way, wifi and cellular network only need to access when you're on a browser, or downloading a book.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote