Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #736
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Yeah and the second problem is if Kobo will have it. Not overly likely in a lot of cases.
Depends on where you live. My experience (in Canada) is that Kobo is as likely (if not more so) to have it than the competition. Kindle's international catalogue isn't what it could be, and Sony, iBooks, etc., don't seem to meet or beat Kobo's catalogue here either, in my experience. Though I suppose everyone's experience will be a little different depending on what genres they like, etc.
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #737
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm deeply conflicted about these 75% off codes. I'm always happy to use a 10-45% code, as Kobo will usually at least break even on those (based on my understanding of typical non-agency/wholesale mark-ups on e-books).

But this 75% off code will lose them money, and nothing but. To then extend that with multiple country codes, making it multi-use, seems abusive to me.

It seems to me that Kobo would offer such a code as the loss they take on it is a customer acquisition cost for customer, like the poster of the code, who had yet to use their Kobo. To use this 75% off code they have to register their credit card and/or Paypal, reducing the path of resistance to future purchases. But those of us already enjoying their services is it not tantamount to theft to use this code that wasn't meant for us, that Kobo will lose money upon us using?
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #738
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
I'm deeply conflicted about these 75% off codes. I'm always happy to use a 10-45% code, as Kobo will usually at least break even on those (based on my understanding of typical non-agency/wholesale mark-ups on e-books).

But this 75% off code will lose them money, and nothing but. To then extend that with multiple country codes, making it multi-use, seems abusive to me.

It seems to me that Kobo would offer such a code as the loss they take on it is a customer acquisition cost for customer, like the poster of the code, who had yet to use their Kobo. To use this 75% off code they have to register their credit card and/or Paypal, reducing the path of resistance to future purchases. But those of us already enjoying their services is it not tantamount to theft to use this code that wasn't meant for us, that Kobo will lose money upon us using?
I understand what you are saying, however kobobooks is an International company with some years of experience. I am rather confident, that they know what they are doing.

They are probably even aware about forums like mobileread.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:58 PM   #739
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

I can see where you're coming from on this. I have used the 75% code and although I tested if the "us" version would work I didn't use it. My logic on that is I'm in Canada not the US so why use a US code (stupid logic but logic nonetheless). Kobo has all my info that if they needed to they could charge my account for the difference or they could even take back the book and I would accept such a judgement as fair on their part and they would not lose my business. Just my thoughts on the matter.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #740
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
I'm deeply conflicted about these 75% off codes.
I admit to having used both code variants, for two relatively low-cost books that haven't shifted their sale price in over 2 years which I would have otherwise only read from the library (and still need to, since Kobo doesn't have the entire series, unless Sony comes out with a few more 50% off codes).

But I did follow it up immediately with another purchase of an already-read-from-library book I'd been on the fence about at roughly the same price, using one of the more standard current discount codes, and will be doing some more buying of the similarly "marginal" offerings I'm considering combining with the usual 20-30% weekend holiday sale coupons once finals are over.

So, I think they've just gotten some money from me that they otherwise wouldn't have seen, even at the loss they took on the 75% (hopefully not much, since the two I used it on were just $9.99 each regularly instead of the $45 academic press stuff I was kind of tempted by and considering) as they managed to lure me into the bookstore to see what I could use it on, and I ended up spotting some other things that I think I want to get.

And I don't think it's going to be a long-term concern anyway, since the 75% off code will probably get shut down pretty quickly now that it's been reposted to some of the freebie/bargain blogs (and hopefully that'll even get some new customers signing up in the store and making future purchases now that they know Kobo offers coupons).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #741
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I'm not particularly worried about the ethics of using the code this thread has been going for 2 years now they are obviously aware by now that people use different country variants of the codes. They can code the site to stop me from buying books not available in my region but not discount codes ? I think that displays there own lack of interest in the matter.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #742
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I bought a full priced book from Kobo a couple of months ago, but the conversion to mobi was wonky (not Kobo's fault, but still), so I was reluctant to buy any more ebooks from them. It took the 85% off code for the Hunger Games to lure me into buying again from Kobo. Since then I've bought a few more books with the normal coupons, so the deep discount made me jump the hurdle and become a regular customer.

Today I used the 75% coupon on a book koland recommended by Anne Holt, an author unknown to me and in the process I discovered that sometimes Kobo carries alternate publishers in Canada for international ebooks that Simon & Schuster publish in the US. I had been boycotting S&S ebooks because they inflate their prices to $17-19 for Canada for no particular reason, instead of pricing the ebooks essentially at the US price like other publishers. I will be checking out Kobo in future for books carried in the US by S&S, so the coupon might have cost Kobo a dollar, but will certainly bring them some future sales from me.

ETA: For example, S&S's Jeffrey Deaver ebooks are a cheaper at Kobo and I just bought myself the latest Kathryn Dance one.

Last edited by Synamon; 04-18-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #743
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Well I used both version of the code and managed to get Lost in Shangri-la and The First Crusade (or something like that) for about $3 and change! I don't give a damn about ethics-if a company gives me a coupon then I'm going to use it!
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #744
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Found one - that Amazon does not have!

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-M...h5w_Nov7Wg&r=5

The Mammoth Book of Best Short Science Fiction Novels By Gardner Dozois

counterpart to this :-

The Mammoth Book of the Best of Best New SF

and there are American versions of these at least deadtree wise, I just get whichever is cheaper

I also really like this one - Supermen: Tales of the Posthuman Future
By Gardner Dozois (also a good 75% off target as are some others)
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:44 AM   #745
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Well I used both version of the code and managed to get Lost in Shangri-la and The First Crusade (or something like that) for about $3 and change! I don't give a damn about ethics-if a company gives me a coupon then I'm going to use it!
I certainly don't begrudge you using the 75% off codes, a point can be legitimately made that Kobo could block you from applying it to your account if they so chose. The ethics of it are a separate issue from that, IMO.

That said, it is important to note that they did not give you the coupon. Had it arrived in your inbox and you were invited to use it, the issue would be clear. They did not invite you to use it though, so you are mistaken to say they did. Failing to block you in their system from using a code offered to someone else is not the same as Kobo giving you a coupon. What you're describing is akin to finding a rain cheque certificate in a parking lot on the way into the store; it wasn't intended for your benefit.

If you justify it on the basis that they gave it to you, then you should consider the fact that they did not give it to you (unless you in fact did receive it in your inbox). If, on the other hand, you still simply "don't give a damn about ethics" and feel no need to justify it, then pay that no heed.

Again, this is not an attack on anyone who used the code, just a philosophical discussion of some interest to me. Thank you everyone who replied.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #746
Shaky Ulnas
Batrachomyomachy
Shaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura aboutShaky Ulnas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch
welcome50ca for 50% off
Shaky Ulnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #747
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky Ulnas View Post
welcome50ca for 50% off
Good find. As with the last country-coded code, "CA" and "US" work for this code, but not "AU", "UK", "ROW", or (the rarely used but occasionally valid) "NZ".
Old 04-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #748
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Used the second 75% off coupon on a Harry Bosch Michael Connelly novel Kobo recently double the price of these so the coupon helped
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #749
riverlily
Enthusiast
riverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavensriverlily is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony eReader PR350
thankyou30 = 30% off
riverlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #750
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Just used

welcome90ca
welcome90us

as posted by NightBird. (& the welcome75ca posted here. Thanks!)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals