Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 AM   #211
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
AttributeError: 'QString' object has no attribute 'strip'

I'm trying to create a couple of composite custom columns but with no success. I've even tried to create some of the composite custom columns from the first post and get a similar error message after getting to step 7.

1. Go to preferences, Interface (the first row), Add your own columns.
2) Click the green plus sign.
3) Choose a lookup name. This will be the name you use for searching and in templates. It must be letters, all lowercase. Note that when you use the lookup name you must prefix it with a '#' character. Do not enter that character here.
4) Choose a column heading. This is what will appear at the top of the column.
5) Choose a column type. For the recipes below, that type must be 'Column built from other columns'.
6) Enter the template from the recipe into the template box.
7) Press OK, Apply, etc. Restart calibre.

After pressing OK, this is the message I've gotten on every composite column I've tried:

calibre, version 0.7.46
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'QString' object has no attribute 'strip'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\create_custom_co lumn.py", line 161, in accept
AttributeError: 'QString' object has no attribute 'strip'

I've gotten this error trying all the following templates:
Display the ISBN. Template: {isbn}
Display the formats for a book. Template: {formats}
Display Yes if the book has an EPUB format. Template: {formats:contains(EPUB, Yes,)}

I've tried a space in front of {formats}, I've tried no space. I even tried typing "template: {formats}" even though the row is labelled template.

I'm sure it's something basic that I'm just overlooking in my fatigue. Using calibre 7.46 on win 7.

Any thoughts, advice, help? Thanks in advance.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #212
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
I'm sure it's something basic that I'm just overlooking in my fatigue. Using calibre 7.46 on win 7.
The only thing you're over looking is the simple truth that this is broke. The fix will be in the next release. If you want you can go back to 0.7.45 or just wait for Friday.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #213
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The only thing you're over looking is the simple truth that this is broke. The fix will be in the next release. If you want you can go back to 0.7.45 or just wait for Friday.
Nothing like working a long shift to make you blind to the obvious. Thanks for the info, hadn't seen a new report in the calibre bug tracker, just the closed bug from 2/4 that said fixed.

NEW TOPIC below:

I've searched MobileRead forums, read through this thread, several others, and the calibre manual, but I'm probably just missing the pertinent post. I've got a metadata plugboard recipe that gives me no error messages but doesn't seem to do what I want. I thought that I had read that you could preview plugboard recipe results by using the recipe in a custom column (once working again). Is there another method for previewing the results of a plugboard recipe prior to sending files to a device?

Thanks again.

Last edited by ElizabethN; 02-21-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: separation of 2 topics as space between topics was not enougth
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #214
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've searched MobileRead forums, read through this thread, several others, and the calibre manual, but I'm probably just missing the pertinent post.
For all the searching, the pertinent post was the post at the top of this sub-forum when you posted. It was titled 0.7.46 and custom columns. I was going to point it out but didn't see the point.

Quote:
Is there another method for previewing the results of a plugboard recipe prior to sending files to a device?
I don't know. Read this sticky post and this manual area for more info.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:21 AM   #215
indigene
indigene began at the beginning.

Device: Various
I have followed the 'Common composite custom columns' instructions in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ry+view+lookup

The column type drop down does not have the option 'Column built from other columns'. The 'Lookup name' is just a text box - where do I chose templates from?

I also have no data listed in ISBN or format columns in library view.

[Ubuntu 10.10, Calibre 0.7.18]
indigene is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2011, 02:55 AM   #216
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That version of Calibre is horribly out-of-date as the current version (0.7.50) is over 30 releases later. At the rate Calibre develops with weekly updates that is an eternity. Any discussions in these forums will always assume you are running a recent release.

It sounds as if you have installed Calibre from the Ubuntu repositories? If you want to use some of the more recently added feaures, you may be better off getting Calibre directly from its home site and using the binary install method specified on the download page for Linux.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #217
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigene View Post
[Ubuntu 10.10, Calibre 0.7.18]
Your version is 6 months and 32 versions out of date. Composite custom columns didn't exist back then. Upgrade to the latest version via the instructions for a Binary install on calibre's download page. Repository versions of calibre are not supported by calibre's creator.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #218
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I was wondering if this was possible I am using this for series
{series_index:0>2s} {title}
and normally it works great but their are some series with short stories that are numbered 1.2 etc and they don't sort properly in my reader as they show up as

where I would prefer

Another problem is I am using

Ebooks/{tags}/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s|.| }{title}

but that sorts as

A
B
C
Crime
D

How would I go about putting brackets on the tag field so I can sort properly
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 AM   #219
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I was wondering if this was possible I am using this for series
{series_index:0>2s} {title}
and normally it works great but their are some series with short stories that are numbered 1.2 etc and they don't sort properly in my reader as they show up as

where I would prefer

See the template language manual http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/template_lang.html. In there you will find several examples of formatting numbers. Quoting that document:
If you use series indices with sub values (e.g., 1.1), you might want to ensure that the decimal points line up. For example, you might want the indices 1 and 2.5 to appear as 01.00 and 02.50 so that they will sort correctly. To do this, use:

Code:
{series_index:0>5.2f} - Five characters, consisting of two digits with leading zeros, a decimal point, then 2 digits after the decimal point
Quote:
Another problem is I am using

Ebooks/{tags}/{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s|.| }{title}

but that sorts as

A
B
C
Crime
D

How would I go about putting brackets on the tag field so I can sort properly
That list is correctly sorted. What is it that you want to be different?

In any event, you can add brackets around tags with
Code:
Ebooks/{tags:|[|]/}{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s|.| }{title}
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #220
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
See the template language manual http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/template_lang.html. In there you will find several examples of formatting numbers. Quoting that document:
If you use series indices with sub values (e.g., 1.1), you might want to ensure that the decimal points line up. For example, you might want the indices 1 and 2.5 to appear as 01.00 and 02.50 so that they will sort correctly. To do this, use:

Code:
{series_index:0>5.2f} - Five characters, consisting of two digits with leading zeros, a decimal point, then 2 digits after the decimal point
That list is correctly sorted. What is it that you want to be different?

In any event, you can add brackets around tags with
Code:
Ebooks/{tags:|[|]/}{authors[0]}/{authors}/{series}/{series_index:0>2s|.| }{title}
I want the genre to show up first so instead of

a
b
c
crime

it will be
[Crime]
[Fantasy]
a
b
c
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #221
Sassafrass
Sassafrass began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi

I feel very stupid, but I've tried this several times and I get the read_status to work on my newer books.

for example a book i just read shows:

Read Status: Not Read
04/22/11
Last Page Read: Location 3563 (99%)
Location 1309 • Bookmark
Location 1448 • Bookmark
Location 2095 • Bookmark
Location 2306 • Bookmark
Location 2575 • Bookmark
Location 3443 • Bookmark

But an older book:
Read Status: 6/10/2010

6/10/2010
Last Page Read: Location 5341 (99%)

Older books that ARE showing as read are getting a date in stead of "Read", and then new books that have been read are showing up as "Not Read" even though it shows that I have completed 99 %

I copy and pasted everything that I was supposed to but I didn't put numbers in the values where it says

Code:
If the val is larger, then return date, 
if the val is >0 and < is_read_pct return is_reading_str.
am I supposed to put 95 where the < is?

also, none of my books are coming up as "Reading" it's either a date or "Not Read"

What in the world am I doing wrong?????

I have a K3 and older books were on my K2.

Last edited by Sassafrass; 04-24-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Sassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 AM   #222
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
number of digits in year

Hi Sassfras
Think your main issue is 2 date formats. K3 with 4 digits in year and K2 with 2 digits ?
Have a look at this post to see if the suggested changes works:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18&postcount=9
Then we can look further into further tweaks.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #223
Sassafrass
Sassafrass began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
THANK YOU!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchrist7 View Post
Hi Sassfras
Think your main issue is 2 date formats. K3 with 4 digits in year and K2 with 2 digits ?
Have a look at this post to see if the suggested changes works:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...18&postcount=9
Then we can look further into further tweaks.
That was it! I'm now getting "Not Read", "Currently Reading", or a date when it's read. That's what supposed to happen, right??

THANKS for all your help.
Sassafrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #224
pchrist7
Addict
pchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animalspchrist7 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi, Oasis
You'r welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
That was it! I'm now getting "Not Read", "Currently Reading", or a date when it's read. That's what supposed to happen, right??

THANKS for all your help.
Hi again.
No problem.
But also thanx - you see I forgot to make those changes to the original posts, so this issue pops up over & Over.
Will edit the 2 posts now.
pchrist7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:57 AM   #225
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
pchrist7:

I have a question for you, it's kinda related to the kindle template for annotations. I have a few books which some lost their annotation file, so I tried to "reacreate" them by opening the book back on the kindle and then re-running the fetch annotations. This worked as it was supposed to but of course now they have the later date instead of the true date in which they were read. I have a custom column which keeps track of this date and I thought if I went into the comments section and updated the date to the true date this info would show up in the custom column, but instead they show up as Not Read. Is there anyway to get these books to reflect the true date instead of the later date?

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom column, tag, tags