Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #16
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
"All Quotes are not at the Beginning or End" he said.

The simple S&R above assumed this was the case.
Using the Clips editor to enclose selected text in curly quotes is a workable solution.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #17
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
@Hoods7070 -- if you want to *temporarily* remap your keyboard to type curly quotes instead of straight quotes, I recommend using AutoHotkey. (probably other macro/scripting software will do it as well, but this is the one I use and am familiar with.)

I have a script that runs from the taskbar, and when I activate this feature, my "quote" keys send the curly quotes instead. Sometimes I use the F1 and F2 keys instead of the quote keys when I need to also type straight quotes in the code.

If you are interested, I can post the script here, but you do have to install AutoHotkey .
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
Well, since from the discussion above it seems my way is as easy and efficient as any other, and not remotely complicated, I think I'll stick with it, bar some day finding a way to force my keyboard to type "smart quotes" as I go.
You could switch to Mac.
open-double-quotes (“): option-[
close-double-quotes (”): option-shift-[
open-single-quotes (‘): option-]
close-single-quotes (’): option-shift-]
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
Well, since from the discussion above it seems my way is as easy and efficient as any other, and not remotely complicated, I think I'll stick with it, bar some day finding a way to force my keyboard to type "smart quotes" as I go.

i.e. a) edit in Sigil correcting quotes - using keyboard straight quotes as needed, then b) converting ALL quotes to straight via search/replace, c) using Book Polish with smart quotes checked - alll quotes are fixed to curly quotes. Three simple steps and it's done, so I suppose there was no point whining in the first place.
The point is, though, that it's NOT done. If you don't do manual checking, you're doomed to failure, because no automated system is going to get it right.

In particular, words which begin in apostrophes, such as the 'Tis that Paul mentioned in an earlier post will break most automated systems, because the automated system can't know whether it's an open left single quote or a right single quote (it is of course a right quote).

The bottom line is that by all means use your automated replacement, but then you MUST check by hand afterwards and fix the things it's got wrong.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 AM   #20
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
and things get worse when there are errors in the text, like missing/wrong quotes, missing/extra spaces around them, etc.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Actually, I have several wildcard searches and a dialogue macro to get all the quotes right and find all the missing one. They are for Word though, but after these I haven't found a wrong one yet.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How can any automated system know whether a word beginning with a single quote is a left open quote or a right quote apostrophe? I just don't see that it can be done.

Eg,
'hello there', he said

vs:
'Tis a beautiful day to make a 'phone call.

Will your macros really handle both of these correctly?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Or unbalanced quotations that span paragraphs?

"Blah, blah, bah.
"Blah, blah-blah-blah."
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Eg,
'hello there', he said

vs:
Or, more extreme:

Don't 'hello there' me.

vs.

He said that 'tis a dogs' life.

(maybe not the best examples, but you see what I mean). It's simpler if you just set apostrophes and right single quotes to the same character, but suppose you don't...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How can any automated system know whether a word beginning with a single quote is a left open quote or a right quote apostrophe? I just don't see that it can be done.

Eg,
'hello there', he said

vs:

Will your macros really handle both of these correctly?
Yup. The combination will, since the second sentence isn't a dialogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Or unbalanced quotations that span paragraphs?

"Blah, blah, bah.
"Blah, blah-blah-blah."
Yup, although not automatic. The macro will ask for the appropiate action here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Or, more extreme:

Don't 'hello there' me.

vs.

He said that 'tis a dogs' life.

(maybe not the best examples, but you see what I mean). It's simpler if you just set apostrophes and right single quotes to the same character, but suppose you don't...
Should not be a problem at all.

Last edited by Toxaris; 05-03-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:53 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Yup. The combination will, since the second sentence isn't a dialogue.

Yup, although not automatic. The macro will ask for the appropiate action here.

Should not be a problem at all.
Stop it, Toxie, you big tease:

You are giving them macro lust.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:22 AM   #27
Toxaris
Wizard

You can already testdrive Hitch, so you have the advantage... English translation on its way.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
You can already testdrive Hitch, so you have the advantage... English translation on its way.
I know, I know. I'm was teasing. ;-)

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote