Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Dictionaries on PRS-T2

I currently own a BeBook One, but I'm considering a new e-reader.

Since the clicking sound of the buttons on my current reader can be sometimes irritating for my husband, I'd like a touch-screen reader. I prefer a reader that uses ePub, although I have all my books de-DRMed, and might be able to convert them to Mobi.
I'd like a reader that can organize my library according to my Calibre-tags.

So far, it seems that Sony is my best option.

However, I heard that the choice of dictionaries loaded on the Sony readers can be different from one country to another, and that it isn't possible to load new dictionaries on the device.

So my questions are:
- Is it true, that not 'all' available Sony dictionaries are loaded, depending on the country where you buy the device?
- If this is true, where can I find information about which ones are loaded?
- What is the quality of the dictionaries? In English, my passive vocabulary is quite extensive, so I would like very good English dictionary.
For other languages, I'd like to have at least an English/German, English/French and English/Italian dictionary (No need for English/Dutch, just the English dictionary will be sufficient for those English words I don't know yet).

(I know that for the Kindle, you can buy extra dictionaries, but I don't like the Amazon-ecosystem - I have considered the Pocketbook, but afaik, the touchscreen of that device can only be operated by the stylus, no 'fingertip-reactivity')
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneT View Post
So my questions are:
- Is it true, that not 'all' available Sony dictionaries are loaded, depending on the country where you buy the device?
It is true, that the US/Canadian model only comes with 6 dictionaries
Quote:
6 built-in dictionaries

Utilize the 6 built-in dictionaries to look up a word or translate into English, French or Spanish.
See here

Whereas Sony.at states:
Quote:
Mehrsprachige Wörterbücher
2 ENGLISCH (Großbritannien/USA) und 10 WEITERE SPRACHEN (Französisch/ Spanisch/ Deutsch/ Niederländisch/ Italienisch)[/CODE]
see here

Quote:
Hopefully you can trust your local Sony website, or try to get a sample into your hands - don't buy form US or Canada.

Quote:
- What is the quality of the dictionaries?
I can only judge from a PRS-650 and PRS-T1 and mainly the English-German one, which I consider rather good.

If you google for the dictionaries in the former models you will quite easily find a complete list and they are all premium, like oxford aso.

This might be also a reason for restricting dictionaries in the US/Canadian market. Than why to pay license fees for dictionaries never/rarely used there?
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
Thank you...
I had been searching on Sony.be, and didn't immediately find the dictionaries under PRS-T2, but thanks to your post I found now under the general discription of readers:
Quote:
Reader is uitgerust met 12 woordenboeken, waaronder 2 Engelse (Brits/Amerikaans) en 10 vertalingen (naar en uit het Frans, Duits, Spaans, Nederlands en Italiaans).
... which is basically the same as in Austria.
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #4
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Device: KPW G2 , 10" tablet
Quote:
... choice of dictionaries loaded on the Sony readers can be different from one country to another ...
If that were so, can you extract the dictionary files offered in, say, a Spanish version from the device and then re-add it to the same device after a factory reset and start-up to, say, German version? More simply, are the dictionary files identifiable?

Hendrik
sheygetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #5
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
I currently own a BeBook One, but I'm considering a new e-reader.

Since the clicking sound of the buttons on my current reader can be sometimes irritating for my husband, I'd like a touch-screen reader. I prefer a reader that uses ePub, although I have all my books de-DRMed, and might be able to convert them to Mobi.
I'd like a reader that can organize my library according to my Calibre-tags.

So far, it seems that Sony is my best option.

However, I heard that the choice of dictionaries loaded on the Sony readers can be different from one country to another, and that it isn't possible to load new dictionaries on the device.

So my questions are:
- What is the quality of the dictionaries? In English, my passive vocabulary is quite extensive, so I would like very good English dictionary.
For other languages, I'd like to have at least an English/German, English/French and English/Italian dictionary (No need for English/Dutch, just the English dictionary will be sufficient for those English words I don't know yet).

(I know that for the Kindle, you can buy extra dictionaries, but I don't like the Amazon-ecosystem - I have considered the Pocketbook, but afaik, the touchscreen of that device can only be operated by the stylus, no 'fingertip-reactivity')

definetely the best choice for you, sony prst2!
the quality is amazing, in English you have the american and English oxford, and.. the other europeans are super cool. also the Dutch wordenboek is amazing, please do not undervaluate also if you are Belgian
the Van Dale is super Lekker expecially if you want to communicate with a friend and you have in your mind the vlaamse word but not in English( and your phone died already with the batteries)
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #6
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
And I may add, that our friends over at the e-book.org found a way, an provide packages with all available dictionaries for PRS-T2, including the new Oxford RU-EN and EN-RU versions.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Oxford Russian dictionaries from Sony are rather unimpressive....

Last edited by rupor; 11-12-2012 at 06:58 PM.
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
And I may add, that our friends over at the e-book.org found a way, an provide packages with all available dictionaries for PRS-T2, including the new Oxford RU-EN and EN-RU versions.
True, AnneT.
Do you know when you would like to forget a movie to see another time?
it looks from what you are asking that this will be your feeling when you will see in a Belgian Mediamarkt or other mall the T2, try and let us know if is not the reader of your dreams with such a white screen. As you are a girl and you will put in a pursue please consider also the coverage with the light, you ll get crazy to read in any condition, with an even more wither screen, in landscape or portrait mode, not too mention the incredible way yo manage the notes and share in facebook with your friends
Dictionary/studying it is the strong point of T2, and this move it imo to a smarter target

Last edited by trocchietto; 11-13-2012 at 05:09 AM.
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
sheygetz
Connoisseur
sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.sheygetz is less competitive than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
... e-book.org
Not a valid address.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
www.the-ebook.org
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #11
sheygetz
Connoisseur

Thank you, rupor. But why don't they call it ibukski.ru if all they can manage is Russian?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #12
slowfax
Connoisseur
slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.slowfax is the One.

Device: miflalmXD
Quote:
I have considered the Pocketbook, but afaik, the touchscreen of that device can only be operated by the stylus, no 'fingertip-reactivity'
This information is wrong. Pocketbook Touch doesn't need a stylus. More: You cannot even use a stylus, because it has a capacitive screen.
Another maybe interesting point for you: PB can also read MOBI-files, so you don't need to convert your exiting books.
I own PRS-T1/T2 and some Pocketbooks. I prefer the Pocketbook Touch.
slowfax is offline   Reply With Quote