Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
How do I delete book formats?

So i manually went into my calibre library and deleted books just in the formats I didn't want but Calibre itself still lists them how do I get calibre to not list the formats for the same book?
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldThreader View Post
So i manually went into my calibre library and deleted books just in the formats I didn't want but Calibre itself still lists them how do I get calibre to not list the formats for the same book?
never do things like that via the back door

To delete a single books format.
Open the metadata editor, select the format(s) to delete and use the 'recycle' icon next to it.

for Multiple books, to remove the same format:

Select Titles: Right-click the Recycle icon in the Main tool bar: remove files of a specific format.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
GoldThreader
Zealot
GoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheeseGoldThreader can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
never do things like that via the back door

To delete a single books format.
Open the metadata editor, select the format(s) to delete and use the 'recycle' icon next to it.

for Multiple books, to remove the same format:

Select Titles: Right-click the Recycle icon in the Main tool bar: remove files of a specific format.
I'll try that and let you know but I don't understand whats wrong with deleting them myself
GoldThreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I'll try that and let you know but I don't understand whats wrong with deleting them myself
If you do that then Calibre will continue to lst them as present because it still has entries in its database. Deleting via Calibre means that the database is kept in sync with the File system.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@GoldThreader: The advice that is given over and over is to treat ALL the directories and files in the Calibre Library as being out of bounds; don't drop them, move them, change them, add new files outside the control of calibre.

Think of the entire Calibre Library as being a black box to us.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #6
theboardrider
theboardrider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Air 2, Kindle Cloud, iPhone 5c, MacBook 5,1
Similar to How...

Quote:
iTunes functions, if you're familar with it (or really any user interface that interacts with a library file). Particularly if you've ever attempted to move a library to an external hard drive, or manage a hard drive that's not in it's original location for whatever reason. It's imperative that any and all file manipulation be done via the user interface. If you get in and start messing with files manually, things get ugly quick. I'm sure Calibre works the same way.
theboardrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:19 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@GoldThreader - at its core the calibre ebook library management application (calibre GUI) is a database (one per physical library) that manages/controls/logically owns a set of folders and files. Access to database is achieved via the calibre GUI, hence access to its folders and files should only be via the calibre GUI.

The calibre GUI creates the folders and files when you add a book. Changes to book title or authorship in the calibre GUI will change that book's folder and file names (algorithmically). Hence it follows that removal of books and format files must done from the calibre GUI.

If you want to control/manage/logically own the folders and files in which your books are stored you could use the calibre Command Line Interface, either directly or via your own scripts,

BTW : the simplest way (IMO) to remove a specific format from the current book is to press Alt/Del on your keyboard and select the formats(s) you want to remove. Also works if multiple books are selected.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-23-2015 at 09:55 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@GoldThreader -- fortunately Calibre can be self-healing.

Calibre, Library Maintenance, Check Library (Step1.jpg)

This is a 2 step process

1. If it finds no errors, tell it you want to check if the files match the information in the data base

2. Things like manually deleted files ("missing book formats") are fixable (Step2.jpg) and Calibre will delete them from it's database

BUT all of the hands-off advice above should be followed, since I'm SURE it's possible for a creative user to do SOMETHING that cannot be fixed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step1.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	137574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step2.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	137575  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote