Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
NOTLguy
NOTLguy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Going to buy a Nook ( Canadian )

I am going over the border from Niagara-on-the-Lake to Amherst NY in two weeks to buy a Nook at Barnes & Noble. I was wondering if there is any restrictions on registering the Nook from Canada ( I am just across the Niagara river from the USA). Less than a mile away from Lewiston NY. I probably will buy books online from Chapters in Canada and perhaps from Barnes & Noble stateside. I plan to use the WiFi for downloading.

Can anyone who has experience with buying and using a Nook in Canada comment?

Regards,
Bill
NOTLguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You can register your Nook using Wifi anywhere in the world.
If you register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address, you should be able to buy B&N books while in Canada.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
NOTLguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
You can register your Nook using Wifi anywhere in the world.
If you register your B&N account with an US shipping and billing address, you should be able to buy B&N books while in Canada.
I assume that I can download ebooks (EPub) or any format that the Nook supports from any source on the internet, including my public library and transfer them from my PC to the Nook?

Regards,
Bill
Old 11-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTLguy View Post
I assume that I can download ebooks (EPub) or any format that the Nook supports from any source on the internet, including my public library and transfer them from my PC to the Nook?

Regards,
Bill
As long as there are no geo-restrictions, yes. Unfortunately the publishers (especially the agency 5) have forced all US en UK bookstores to implement geo-restrictions. So you will find that it has become very difficult to buy e-books outside your own country, without lying about your address and country.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
NOTLguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
As long as there are no geo-restrictions, yes. Unfortunately the publishers (especially the agency 5) have forced all US en UK bookstores to implement geo-restrictions. So you will find that it has become very difficult to buy e-books outside your own country, without lying about your address and country.
Sounds to me that the WiFi will be good for squat as far as my use goes as I don't have a US address and from what I understand, I can't connect to anbody else but B&N with the WiFi. Is that correct? Might as well buy a Kobo at Chapters ( our Canadian equivilant of B&N) and then my WiFi would work in Canada. Any comments on this thinking?

Bill
Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 AM   #6
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Sounds to me that the WiFi will be good for squat as far as my use goes as I don't have a US address and from what I understand, I can't connect to anbody else but B&N with the WiFi. Is that correct? Might as well buy a Kobo at Chapters ( our Canadian equivilant of B&N) and then my WiFi would work in Canada. Any comments on this thinking?

Bill
If you just want to buy books, without using any workarounds, the Kobo reader would probably be the best choice.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

Bill
That's not correct. you can use any WiFi access point (be it your home, Starbucks, ...). You can browse the B&N books over WiFi, and you can as well buy them over WiFi provided there are no geographic restrictions, or provided you have a valid US address in your profile. You can as well use the built in web browser for casual stuff, not the most convenient thing on eInk, but useful nonetheless.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
ibdave
ibdave began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I'm new here, please forgive any social mistakes.
I live near the US-ONtario border. I want to buy a nook. I can buy it at a BN store. I have a child in SanFrancisco so can use that address if necessary.
I gather I have to register or open an account at BN.
My public library lists nook as compatible with it's ebook lending. My IP is Cdn (Bell)
If I buy a nook, can I buy and download ebooks to my computer or nook from home?
Is my Cdn IP a problem? Is my Cdn charge card a problem? Can I use a Cdn wifi place?
It looks like I can keep a list of books on BN severs which I buy and can download to my PC and then transfer the nook if I want - yes?
ibdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Canadian IP is fine. You just need to have a US-based shipping/billing address entered. B&N doesn't seem to verify the billing address on the account with that of the card and the charges will go through fine, but if they ever start, you can switch to using gift cards or just phone up your CC company and have them add your kid's San Francisco address as an alternate.

You may want to start using gift cards anyway, to reduce the number of small charges on your card which some CC providers flag as a fraud warning sign, and also to take advantage of the exchange rate when our dollar is strong.

B&N keep the books you get from them accessible from the website as "My NOOKLibrary" or something similar, and you can re-download using your browser at any time without ever having to involve an actual nook, much less its wi-fi connection, though I've heard that nook wi-fi works in Canada (3G apparently does not).

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #10
ibdave

It won't register

I bought a nook wifi. I went to my local library which has free wifi.
The nook detected it and accessed it (I think).
I repeatedly got the message "registration failed try again" or call support number. error code c6120. The phone number auto reply was - my call was important but they couldn't handle now call later - which got same result.
I changed the profile page from nook wifi to local wifi - same result.
It has software ver 1.4.3.
I am thinking I'm going to take it back and tell the store clerk to make it register. I have a BN acct with a US shipping and billing address.

Any suggestions? Has anyone registered their nook from a Cdn wifi spot?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
geertm
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdave View Post
I bought a nook wifi. I went to my local library which has free wifi.
The nook detected it and accessed it (I think).
I repeatedly got the message "registration failed try again" or call support number. error code c6120. The phone number auto reply was - my call was important but they couldn't handle now call later - which got same result.
I changed the profile page from nook wifi to local wifi - same result.
It has software ver 1.4.3.
I am thinking I'm going to take it back and tell the store clerk to make it register. I have a BN acct with a US shipping and billing address.

Any suggestions? Has anyone registered their nook from a Cdn wifi spot?
You can test if you have a working Wifi connection by using the Nook browser to go to a website. If you cannot lookup a website, you do not have a working Wifi connection.

The following info comes from the B&N Nook board admin:

If you are receiving an 6120 error please do the following:

This should fix your connection issue:

1. Tap on the WiFi tab.

2. Tap on the Wi-Fi hotspot

3. Tap on the connected Wifi (the one that has the check mark)

4. Tap on Forget

5. Reboot your NOOK (Hold the power button down for about 20 seconds. Then hold down the power button for about 4 seconds to restart)

6. Scan again for Wifi hotspots and then reconnect.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #12
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I am Canadian and I use the wifi on my Nook to buy B&N books all the time. I registered it while in the U.S, but I also picked up two others for my friends and theirs were registered in Canada just fine.

Also, I saw somebody mentioned that you have to get your credit card company to add the US address as a billing address, this is not true. All you have to do is enter any US address as a shipping address and check off the 'same as' box for billing.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
NOTLguy

Well, since the Black Friday deals seem to be migrating to Canada, I purchased a Sony PRS-650 BC yesterday for the same price in CDN $ as the US prices. No WiFi but I don't intend to use it. Love the look and feel of the Sony. The touch screen is fantastic and page recovery is very quick. The warranty is also covered in Canada so no worries about repairs.

Thanks to everyone for your help on my search for am e-reader.

Bill
Old 11-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
ibdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I am Canadian and I use the wifi on my Nook to buy B&N books all the time. I registered it while in the U.S, but I also picked up two others for my friends and theirs were registered in Canada just fine.

Also, I saw somebody mentioned that you have to get your credit card company to add the US address as a billing address, this is not true. All you have to do is enter any US address as a shipping address and check off the 'same as' box for billing.
OK I have a BN account with my kids US address but my name.
I have put on my cr card but used her address not the cr card correct billing address. I go to a wifi site. the nook connects but it will not register. error code c6120. "forgetting" the wifi holding the start for 20 seconds then turning in on and trying again - no dice. I think I'll take it back to BN tell them to make it register or take it back.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdave View Post
OK I have a BN account with my kids US address but my name.
I have put on my cr card but used her address not the cr card correct billing address. I go to a wifi site. the nook connects but it will not register. error code c6120. "forgetting" the wifi holding the start for 20 seconds then turning in on and trying again - no dice. I think I'll take it back to BN tell them to make it register or take it back.
Did you try what Geertm posted above?

I have done the same as you, I use my Dad's address and even though my credit card is Canadian with my address I just checked the 'Same As Address' box. I didn't even do that to my friends Nooks. I made them a B&N account with their email, but didn't enter an address or credit card. Their Nooks still can log on to wifi and they can browse the B&N Nook store and other websites, but they can't buy books until they add a US address.

Since even they can register their Nooks and use the wifi, I would guess that there might be a problem with yours. Maybe even a hard reset might help. Definitely try the suggestion above.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote