Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 01:26 AM   #16
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I did not know it wasn't e-ink. I almost bough the lite at Newegg because of the price but decided to wait. Thanks for the warning. I just wanted a replacement reader that fully supports FB2 format and DRM EPUB.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:21 AM   #17
dacattt
Connoisseur
dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Astak 6 EZ Reader Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I did not know it wasn't e-ink. I almost bough the lite at Newegg because of the price but decided to wait. Thanks for the warning. I just wanted a replacement reader that fully supports FB2 format and DRM EPUB.
Eeek! I understand wanting e-ink and e-pub.... but you WANT DRM?

(Sorry, just an Eeek! moment for me. Like my reading material free from it's chains. Buy my books, but chop the chains before I put it in Calibre. Will go back under my rock now.)
dacattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 02:43 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No of course not hon. My library books however are DRM protected and use ADE they are in EPUB and the older ones in PDF.

I prefer FB2 format it's just a nice clean format I've come to use with the PP but libraries here use DRM.

It would be wonderful if a non painted V5 every came out. I would buy it without question and on the line with v6+ reader if it ever came back and the price drops.

Of course with Color E-ink coming out I may just hold off and keep using my peeling PP and my soon to be here Kindle 3 before buying another.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:51 AM   #19
dacattt
Connoisseur
dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Ooops, sorry... missed the library concept. Or course those stay DRMed.

I haven't done any library books on my EZReader yet, so missed my radar completely. ZZZZZzzooooooooommmmmmm.. Thud!

Colored e-ink sounds interested. I'm still at the... this is a sub for reading paperbacks.... I'm going to have to wait a while for something that can really handle the books I was wresting the last two days --- large 'n' lovely costume exhibit books... takes 2 hands and the desk to even handle the pages.... but not going to trade any inferior display for those gorgeous large pictures.... though really wanted to zoom the text and get rid of the glare on the glossy pages. Going to have to wait a few years for that.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:00 AM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Library ebooks are great! My library start carrying them a few months ago and when I discover that I was in heaven! lol

I just authorized my SD Card and drap and drop on them on there. I never had to hooked my reader up yet to the PC. I like Cool Reader 3 better then ADE any day but it's a free service so no complaining here. Just think of all the money I'm saving makes me happy. Not to mention no icky germs from touching dusty pollen filled books.
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 03:20 AM   #21
dacattt
Connoisseur

Sounds yummy.

I'm a big fan of re-reads, and I do voluntarily read classics... so have been enjoying Project Gutenberg and the books folks have fixed up here, alternating with Baen.

Have just started checking out where my fav authors next books is, and banging my head against the publisher door. Sigh. Though am rather amazed at my own reaction to trying to open a two dollar book I've bough and banging my head into the DRM...

E-book readers are a crazy new experience, but you can barely pry it out of my hands... even when enjoying those wonderful large formant coffee table art books.... still wishful... and still learning about when and how I can use my e-reader.

Just so glad that I got my 6" reader in that small window that was open..

Geeze, at this rate... I'm going to start writing sonnets to it. Don't know what I'd do if I needed to replace mine.... but at least I know I won't run out of books for it for a while.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #22
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
No of course not hon. My library books however are DRM protected and use ADE they are in EPUB and the older ones in PDF.

I prefer FB2 format it's just a nice clean format I've come to use with the PP but libraries here use DRM.

It would be wonderful if a non painted V5 every came out. I would buy it without question and on the line with v6+ reader if it ever came back and the price drops.

Of course with Color E-ink coming out I may just hold off and keep using my peeling PP and my soon to be here Kindle 3 before buying another.
Unfortunately I don't know of any ereader that support FB2 (the Jetbook Mini apparently only supports txt and fb2 but not sure how well, and that is a LCD screen like the JB Lite). There is the Pocketbook 360 but that has according to the matrix the old Apollo display controller.

I find people mentioning colour to be rather interesting. Would you like a 6" colour ereader? I think colour e-ink would be good on 9.7" screens, but for smaller readers used just for normal fictional books I think the current black screens are fine.

I tell you though, there is a market for 5" readers. I have had my Kindle for a month or so and I think it is great, but I think I am at a point where having the 5" is also a must - I find it so portable to throw into my pocket and take it with me. Take the PP out of the market and realistically there is very little to choose from, the Sony PRS-350 is really it IMHO.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #23
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:

The Aluratek Libre Pro supports the FB2 format:
Quote:
Supports PDF (Adobe Digital Edition DRM/non-DRM), TXT, FB2, EPUB (Adobe Digital Edition DRM/non-DRM), MOBI (non-DRM only), PRC (non-DRM only)and RTF electronic book format
The Aluratek uses the reflective LCD screen, not the e-ink one, but it is perfectly readable in any light. I have it and an e-ink reader and I don't prefer one screen over the other. I actally find the Aluratek slightly easier on the eyes mainly because the frame has a matte finish while the Sony has an aluminum one, but both screens work very well under daylight, incandescent light, CFL lighting, low light, etc. Neither of them strains the eye like I find backlit LCD screen do.

Newegg currently has the black Aluratek Libre Pro for $119. Borders is showing it for $99. The only problem with the Borders listing is that they show the "preferred formats" as "Adobe's ePub or PDF format" and doesn't mention the other formats. I would check on that if I was going to buy one from Borders to make sure it is the standard Libre that handles the FB2 format and not one that has been modified.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:46 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I totally agree about 5" readers. I like the portability which is why I love my Pocket Pro. It's a shame they peel. Being a chemical sensitive person and not knowing what's in the finish that is coming off. I have to now be careful when reading not to touch the peeling area which means not being able to take it out of the case.

The Jetbook Mini is just a plain text Reader and does not support FB2 fully. I found that out by asking the company because it's really is a cute reader. JetBook Lite does they told me. I do like the idea it uses batteries. Still the Pocketbook 360 is what I have my eye on.

My understanding is Aluratek and Jetbook are from the same line so thanks it's good to know the screen is not bad on the eyes. I have very low lit lighting and have to use a book light with my Pocket Pro anytime I want to read. I use my Travel Flex light attached to the case. It works well. The Pocket Pro text is so light compare to some reader's I have seen in the store but I do love being able to choose my own font when reading most books and hate the thought of giving that up.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #25
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Still the Pocketbook 360 is what I have my eye on.
My sister has one and LOVES it.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:04 PM   #26
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
I'm still waiting to see what new products will be offered. The multiple formats feature, jog dial, and replaceable battery were the reasons why I went with the PPro in the first place. All the other readers seem to be missing more features than I care to be without. I'd like to see the Pocket Pro updated with a non painted cover and a newer E-ink screen and I'd be good to go to buy another one.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #27
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
I agree, I *LIKE* the PPro. I like the size. I REALLY like the jog-dial/rocker. I almost never use the buttons to turn pages, as I don't like the constant click-click-click sound. The rocker is perfect: silent and easy page turning.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #28
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
I, too, have looked at the specs of the "other" ereaders out there. And everytime I decided I didn't like something they did or did not do.

I LIKE my PP, and I will continue to watch this site, hopeing Astak will be able to resolve whatever problems they are having.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:21 AM   #29
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I don't think that any of us are saying that we don't *LIKE* the Astak products - it's not a test of loyalty.

It's just that we were ready to buy a new ereader, we wanted to get the new Astak product that RobertB had talked up, but it wasn't available for purchase when it was supposed to be, and the company cannot provide a time frame for when it *WILL* be available. And because of that, Astak lost what would have been sure-bet customers. We waited for months (with delay after delay) for the introduction of the new model. If the company is jerking its prospective customer base around (for whatever reason, valid or not) then why should we continue to wait for them to get their act together? I mean, come on, we knew going in that the product was going to cost more than comparable products currently on the market, and still we waited for it. I don't think that we owe Astak anything anymore.

Last edited by Xanthe; 11-18-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #30
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I think Xanthe hit the nail square on.
I like my PEz and worry what I would do if something happened to it.
Reading various issues with other brands and models, leaves me scratching both ends to figure what I would replace it with.

I know which brands (and types) I don't want
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote