Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you finish reading every book you start reading?
Yes. I finish a book no matter what. 38 20.99%
No. I'll leave a book unfinished. 139 76.80%
Go away. 4 2.21%
Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #46
Redfox
aka Anne Lyle
Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redfox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
It's rare that I won't finish a book - but I'm picky about what I start. Occasionally I'll buy a book that just doesn't grab me ("Rhapsody", by Elizabeth Haydon, I just couldn't get into), but on the whole I only buy books after careful reading of reviews on Amazon, etc.
Redfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #47
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
I'll start reading the first few pages to see if I want to buy it. If I do then I'll almost always finish it.

There have been 2 or 3 books where I kept trying to enjoy the book and finally said ENOUGH. They were so bad that I threw them in the trash. With HATE for wasting my time and money.

Another thing I do if the book gets really boring is to scan ahead real fast. A few I ended up skipping to the end just to say "it's over".

So the answer is Yes & No. And maybe.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #48
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
No, I often abandon fiction, biographies and such. There are so many titles out there, so many below average writers, that it's hard to find the good stuff. At one time I got so peeved with a writer of a shortish novel I rewrote it as I figured it should have been written (it was a Danish author, me being danish and all). I never heard from him, but in the next round of printing, lo and behold, most of it was implemented.

I have had three persons close to me go "well, if you don't like what you read, why don't you write something yourself that would be worth reading?" - which is all fine and dandy, but there's a world of difference between reading for enjoyment and writing. At least as I would do it: Work. Just like I do as a journalist. Hardly the thing to do a lazy afternoon, ha ha.

Anyway, the least-put-downable* books I read are non-fiction, reference books, theory books etc. But I still only finish around 90 percent..

*I know, but if you can make a sock company named www.almostunwearoutable.co.uk, why not?
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #49
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'm happy to see that most respondents are as demanding of entertainment from their books as I am.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 PM   #50
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I will finish reading most of the books I start... a few have taken years to finish just because I couldn't get into them. Since I can read a book in a couple of days I generally read at least the first 3 chapters before I put the book aside for a while. The rare book I just never get back to.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:17 AM   #51
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
No, I don't finish every book I start. Some just aren't worth the time and effort.

Sandy
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:22 AM   #52
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Another thing I do if the book gets really boring is to scan ahead real fast. A few I ended up skipping to the end just to say "it's over".
Now that is something I normally never do. I say normally because I did it once, but that was only because I was stuck for 2 months in a foreign country with not much to read. The book was War and Peace, and I skipped all the political and military analysis parts, which I hated, and only read the story parts, which I loved. I'm glad I did it because I actually enjoyed the book that way, but normally if I don't like a book, I just stop. I am not all that interested in how it will end, really, it's the voyage that counts for me, not the destination
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #53
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
There is one other time that I skim thru sections of books.

I like Dean Koontz a lot. But in some sections where his villains start doing their thing, I skip past that part.

I may just be squeamish. But when monsters, vampires, etc do the same kind of thing it doesn't bother me. On the other hand there are real living people who like to torture and kill. Give me a Alien or Predator, no problem. Give me Silence of the Lambs, or Saw, no thanks.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #54
dharh
dharh began at the beginning.

Device: nook,ipad,netbook
I read alot of different types of books. Fantasy fiction and sci-fi books I don't leave unfinished. Hell i've read the same books several times (especially ones in long series where the author releases 2-3 years apart...). For politics and history, generally I read piecemeal as inevitably there are parts that I have no interest in and aren't important to the parts that do interest me, I don't even necessarily start on the first chapter. Science books I kinda do both, depending on the sub-science. Books and evolution and AI are some ive read cover to cover, though depending on how heavy it is, sometimes at the end don't much remember what it is I just read...
dharh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #55
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I don't have a hard and fast rule, but I don't mind leaving some books unfinished. I don't buy too much on impulse though -- I've usually managed to determine the book will hold my attention before I buy. I slowly expand my wanted authors list and the more I get, the less often I'm disappointed part way through.

Since I'm in the middle of around 10 books at a time at all times (gotta have variety), plenty of even of decent books have long hiatuses while I dig into others that are either better or better suited to some long term mood of mine.

I'm more likely to not finish non-fiction than fiction. Oftentimes I've gotten the non-fiction for specific reasons and not every chapter is even really in my ballpark. Of my unfinished non-fiction books, it's often not the ending that I didn't read, but portions of the middle that weren't of interest.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #56
khad
khad began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4 (iBooks/Stanza)
I feel irrationally bad for not completing a book, so I trick myself by starting another book with the "intention" to finish the previous one "in the future". By then I've stopped caring.
khad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #57
ellimak
I spit hot fire
ellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blueellimak can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Nook, or as I call him, Sir Nookington
With books I've paid for, I force myself to finish even if I'm not that into it. Most of the time that really isn't a problem though. I think there are only a handful of books I've bought and not enjoyed.

Now, free books are a different story. I typically don't start a book unless I've heard good things about it somewhere, but there are always the unavoidable duds. If the book hasn't grabbed me a quarter of the way in, I move on.
ellimak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #58
estrial
small is good
estrial doesn't litterestrial doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy S
I tend to not finish free books if I cant get interested in it after a few chapters. With purchased books I tend to finish them most of the time, only because I'd feel bad if I don't get my $10 worth of reading and the case is that I only buy a book if I really am interested in reading them.
estrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #59
slenderperson1
slenderperson1 began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
I use to ready every book to the end but now that I'm older I won't waste my time if its boring me.
slenderperson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:04 AM   #60
stargazertony
Connoisseur
stargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-booksstargazertony has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3, iPod Touch, Pre-electronic devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
Wow, 10 pages is harsh. That's like giving a TV show about a minute to hook you in .
Yes, I do that too. That's not saying there are many good TV shows worth watching. The promise of getting better never seems to work out right, especially for TV. With books, however, it the author isn't going to work hard enough interest me in the first 10 pages, then there is nothing for me to believe that things will get better.

On the other end of the book, I absolutely hate it when I guess the ending. It ruins the book for me. That's another thread.
stargazertony is offline   Reply With Quote