Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #31
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
If I may. I see the point in creating an ePub3 over an app if one is interested in having some kind of "archival" quality. Even if no reader is capable of showing all the features as intended today, at least the specs are there and the code and markup will be available to be displayed in a future reader or converted (even if manually) to a future format. An app is disposable. Even if you keep/publish the source code, it will need a programmer to understand/convert it, an ePub3 can be more portable, but less usable in practice.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #32
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Which ones, please?

Hitch
I think, for example, Onyx Note could. I remember I was able to run an EPUB3 with a short video on a old M96, some years ago, so I think a Note3 today could do it. If someone has got one could easily try.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
If I may. I see the point in creating an ePub3 over an app if one is interested in having some kind of "archival" quality. Even if no reader is capable of showing all the features as intended today, at least the specs are there and the code and markup will be available to be displayed in a future reader or converted (even if manually) to a future format. An app is disposable. Even if you keep/publish the source code, it will need a programmer to understand/convert it, an ePub3 can be more portable, but less usable in practice.
Jellby, mon sweetie patootie:

Sure, but we all know that ePUB specs change, too. We can sit here and say, "oh, the IDPF is moribund and the Committee is DOA, but the reality is, ePUB specs change. And of couse, Apple--the clearly designated hitter for this--changes their own s**t all the time. The likelihood that the app would be valid longer than the eBooks...meh, I give it a 50/50%, especially given that we're talking multi-media and Apple.

The biggie really is cost. An app will set you back $1200 and up, and you need one for iOS and one for Droid. So, 2x the price. An eBook will typically be much cheaper, but it does far less.

Given how abysmally eBooks sell on iBooks-cum-Books on iOS, honestly, I wouldn't invest a lotta dough in it, (compared to Kindle), but...that's the publisher's dominion and choice.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrzvnrnd View Post
I think, for example, Onyx Note could. I remember I was able to run an EPUB3 with a short video on a old M96, some years ago, so I think a Note3 today could do it. If someone has got one could easily try.
I have an Onyx 10" Boox. Given how slow this thing is, I cannot remotely imagine it, but I'll see if I still have an ePUB around here with embedded video. This Boox 10" is brand new, too.

Hitch
Old 11-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #35
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, this is my old M96:

https://www.venerandi.com/purpleeink.mp4
Old 11-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Well, I certainly appreciate the effort. I'm going to review mine in a bit; we're looking around for the last ePUB we did with video--which was QUITE a while ago.

Hitch
Old 11-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #37
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Well, I certainly appreciate the effort. I'm going to review mine in a bit; we're looking around for the last ePUB we did with video--which was QUITE a while ago.

Hitch
Just a moment: I don't want to tell e-ink is the device to watch video. It isn't.
I only told it is possibile to see and listen video on e-ink device.
I'm gonna buy a Onyx Note3 and I hope I'll be able to follow Coursera courses with it, reading and watching videos. But I'm not gonna buy it only for its video performance.

f.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:58 AM   #38
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
You could always grab one <video> example from the EPUB3 Samples Project:

http://idpf.github.io/epub3-samples/30/samples.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Thorium looks promising and plays videos, [...]
Sweet. I forgot about Thorium.

A few years ago, I randomly stumbled upon it while digging through Readium's github.

Great to see it's been having lots of development since then.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:43 AM   #39
rjwse@aol.com
Addict
rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjwse@aol.com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle epub readers on android
(1) video internal and self-contained in a book adds a great number of megabytes to the book's size, but with a good ebook reader it will play and has sound and can even show start/stop/volume controls. (2) Alternately, ou can reference the actual file of the video to an external source, but his requires a connection while reading, although the file size of the book itself is kept small. (3) You can insert an animated GIF, perhaps looping continuously, for a short demonstration video, but it will be soundless. If the number of frames is relatively low and if the resolution of the individual pictures are reasonable the size of the book is kept within normal parameters. (4) A nice option is to use CSS animations to create pseudo-movies and this is what you see most often on your phone as advertisements while trying to read the news. These are so well done you do not even notice it is not a little movie: a static, sliding, or slightly enlarging background with a foreground banner sliding in, etc. This does not increase file size hardly at all, but requires a good knowledge of CSS. As for E-ink and so forth not being able to show these things, some of them do, others don't. The concept of 'book' is in an evolving state and there will be some day books which will include videos as a necessary integral part of the author's intent, not just a gee-whiz inclusion. You can add internal video in the calibre editor and the calibre viewer will play the video with sound absolutely correctly, but it will stall out when trying to use the ebook with this or that -- in fact -- most other commercial ebook readers. Best regards, Pop
rjwse@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #40
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
You could always grab one <video> example from the EPUB3 Samples Project:

http://idpf.github.io/epub3-samples/30/samples.html
I could, but where's the fun in THAT? sheesh.

Hitch
Old 12-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #41
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwse@aol.com View Post
(1) video internal and self-contained in a book adds a great number of megabytes to the book's size, but with a good ebook reader it will play and has sound and can even show start/stop/volume controls. (2) Alternately, ou can reference the actual file of the video to an external source, but his requires a connection while reading, although the file size of the book itself is kept small. (3) You can insert an animated GIF, perhaps looping continuously, for a short demonstration video, but it will be soundless. If the number of frames is relatively low and if the resolution of the individual pictures are reasonable the size of the book is kept within normal parameters. (4) A nice option is to use CSS animations to create pseudo-movies and this is what you see most often on your phone as advertisements while trying to read the news. These are so well done you do not even notice it is not a little movie: a static, sliding, or slightly enlarging background with a foreground banner sliding in, etc. This does not increase file size hardly at all, but requires a good knowledge of CSS. As for E-ink and so forth not being able to show these things, some of them do, others don't. The concept of 'book' is in an evolving state and there will be some day books which will include videos as a necessary integral part of the author's intent, not just a gee-whiz inclusion. You can add internal video in the calibre editor and the calibre viewer will play the video with sound absolutely correctly, but it will stall out when trying to use the ebook with this or that -- in fact -- most other commercial ebook readers. Best regards, Pop
My last poetry ebook is a EPUB3 with different animations, interactive poetry, visual poetry in space, but there are not videos at all. Only xml and javascript.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
My last poetry ebook is a EPUB3 with different animations, interactive poetry, visual poetry in space, but there are not videos at all. Only xml and javascript.
What programs/apps does it work with and on what platforms?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:08 AM   #43
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What programs/apps does it work with and on what platforms?
Until some years ago, it worked on every platform with Calibre, Apple Books, ADE, Gitden reader. But last version of ADE introduced several bugs in SVG rendition and Calibre introduced a completely crazy non-standard management of variables, so actually it works on every platform with Apple Books, Thorium, Gitden reader.

(to be honest I found a way to create a "dirty" kepub where the animations were working also on Kobo e-ink, but I did not release it to the stores)

Last edited by fbrzvnrnd; 12-01-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Until some years ago, it worked on every platform with Calibre, Apple Books, ADE, Gitden reader. But last version of ADE introduced several bugs in SVG rendition and Calibre introduced a completely crazy non-standard management of variables, so actually it works on every platform with Apple Books, Thorium, Gitden reader.

(to be honest I found a way to create a "dirty" kepub where the animations were working also on Kobo e-ink, but I did not release it to the stores)
Would you mind creating a KePub with working animation and posting someplace and linking to it in this thread? I'd love to give it a try.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:59 AM   #45
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Would you mind creating a KePub with working animation and posting someplace and linking to it in this thread? I'd love to give it a try.
https://www.venerandi.com/koboeink.mp4