Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Tolino

Notices

Old 01-24-2021, 01:22 PM   #1
galora1992
galora1992 began at the beginning.

Device: TOLINO Vision 5
Unhappy Slow Pages turn on Tolino Vision 5

Hello my dear! I bought a Tolino Vision 5 reader. I used to use Inkbook Prime HD before. I opted for the Tolino as it has 7 inches and a beautiful amber screen backlight. forgive me for my spelling, but I am Polish, I come from Poland, I am assuming a topic on a foreign forum because I cannot get an answer anywhere. I have a problem with one thing, which is the fact that page flipping seems very slow to me. it's comparably slow with the Inkbook, although I thought the $ 250 hardware should run smoother despite 512MB Ram. already used many methods, editing, EPUB, (Tolino only reads EPUB, pdf and doc), tried to reduce size, styles, fonts (I don't know much about programming and coding), toured to reduce size, and still the same, does the book have 2mb, or only 900kb, it works just as slow, I even downloaded a very small EPUB (krishnamutri) which AM only 0.3 (300kb) and it works just as slow, I don't know what's up, only the reader manual which has 20 pages scrolls relatively quickly. the book I care about has 400 pages, the reader does not react responsively, even catches a hiccup when I press the button forward and then fast backward, it does not respond, the software is updated to the latest one, I use Caliber, I'm just learning, I removed unnecessary CCS styles, downloaded Hypnosite plugin (I think that's what it's called), to split words in a file, I used the option "SPLIT FILE BIGGER Knife 256KB" and changed its value to 25kb, then 30kb, then 100kb, there is no difference. do you have any ideas tutorials? It annoys me so much that I think I will sell this reader. I checked the compatibility of the book with Caliber, some 25 errors popped up, but it was about some margins and CCS styles, I don't know if this could be the cause, I don't think so. I also thought about Kepub files, because Tolino is a Kobo Libra H2O clone, but as far as I know, this one works on Linux, and in addition, kobo is probably faster, even has a special option to speed up page scrolling, which is a luxury. I really like this reader if it wasn't for slow paging, maybe there is some way to break into the system, jailbreak and add your own reader from the Google store? or add a plug? to change the format of the books? It drives me to frustration, a beautiful 7-inch design and a processor from 10 years ago and barely working, maybe you know the settings in Caliber, what parameters to use to make the ebook as efficient and fast as possible? maybe there is another program for this and there are no coding errors? I have a Sigil but it is difficult for me and I haven't even seen a book conversion option there. I will be very grateful for your help and answers. I greet you! Your Piotr. A friend from Poland!
galora1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 01:51 PM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by galora1992 View Post
maybe there is some way to break into the system, jailbreak and add your own reader from the Google store?
Yes there is a possibility. But not from Google Play Store - per sideloading.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
galora1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
can you develop your answer buddy? does it mean? how to do it? you can help? I'm desperate
Old 01-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #4
galora1992

Quote:
if you mean books bought not from a store but transferred from a computer to a reader, for example, that's what I do, transferring the eBooks from the computer to my Tolino, exactly like that. with a USB cable and this is where my problems occur. otherwise I do not read
Old 01-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
can you develop your answer buddy? does it mean? how to do it? you can help? I'm desperate
OS from Vision 5 is Android 4.4.2.
By installing an apk installation application and an option to switch applications, the Android can then be used with other apps.

I have Epos 2 and I use Calibre Companion with the AlReader
Advert
Old 01-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
galora1992

Quote:
By installing an apk installation application and an option to switch applications, the Android can then be used with other apps.

ok how to do it? I need to rot the device? Can I install this aireader otherwise?
Old 01-24-2021, 04:15 PM   #7
galora1992

Quote:

And how are Aireader read? Is it faster? better?
Old 01-24-2021, 06:28 PM   #8
galora1992

maybe it is possible to install Kobo software on the Tolino device? it would be a great solution, after all, these are twin devices produced by one company. Especially that the twin to Tolino Vision 5- Kobo Libra H2O works much faster and 2 times faster working on Linux. maybe someone met with this before? would something like that be possible?
Old 01-24-2021, 07:42 PM   #9
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
It is not possible to install the Kobo software. If you don't like Tolino Reader, the solution is the one discussed by @ottischwenk: access Android and install alternative reading software. In my opinion, AlReader and KOReader work very well on the Tolino, much better than the native reader program.

On this German forum there are clear and detailed instructions on how to access Android and install alternative software. It is very simple.

https://forum.alles-ebook.de/thread/...d-anwendungen/

Edited: (It is convenient to read the whole forum, although in these two links everything is more condensed)

- Explained in images (with link to the necessary files)...

https://forum.alles-ebook.de/thread/...7411#post87411

- A good summary, step by step...

https://forum.alles-ebook.de/thread/...7642#post87642

Last edited by cellaris; 01-24-2021 at 08:34 PM.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:34 PM   #10
galora1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
It is not possible to install the Kobo software. If you don't like Tolino Reader, the solution is the one discussed by @ottischwenk: access Android and install alternative reading software. In my opinion, AlReader and KOReader work very well on the Tolino, much better than the native reader program.

On this German forum there are clear and detailed instructions on how to access Android and install alternative software. It is very simple.

https://forum.alles-ebook.de/thread/...d-anwendungen/
well then i will do as you say just tell me please or if I do as in the link below, it will just install a pure android 4.4.2 or will I have the same look of my Tolino reader but with the additional eReader application? will the interface change and everything will be like on android?
Old 01-25-2021, 01:15 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
well then i will do as you say just tell me please or if I do as in the link below, it will just install a pure android 4.4.2 or will I have the same look of my Tolino reader but with the additional eReader application? will the interface change and everything will be like on android?
The basic system remains unchanged - Android 4.4.2.
It just creates the ability to install and run additional applications
Old 01-25-2021, 02:24 AM   #12
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
In my own experience with the Vision 5 - if you're unhappy by the page turn speed, unlocking and installing 3rd party apps will only make your experience worse. The device only has one processor core and it shows. Installing another launcher, a switching app and another reader will only make the device slower.
My own experience with KOreader on the device was also not good. Slow loading speeds, slow font size change, slow everything.

My only advice is, if you're unhappy with the device then please return it and change it for another device.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:41 AM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
if you're unhappy by the page turn speed, unlocking and installing 3rd party apps will only make your experience worse.
There is hardly anything more gruesome in terms of speed than the original (Tolino) app.
I don't use the KOReader - so I can't say anything; the AlReader performs the page change very quickly.
However, compared to quad core 1.6 GHz (Prime HD), single core 1 GHz (Tolino) is of course slow.
I recommend Likebook - P6 (6 inches) or Mars (7.8 inches).
Old 01-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #14
cellaris
Addict
cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cellaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo, PocketBook, Tolino, Bookeen, Onyx Boox, Boyue.
AlReader and KOReader work fine for me on my Tolino devices. And also on my inkBook Prime HD. I don't notice any significant speed differences. We are talking about fractions of a second to perform the same operation. Totally irrelevant.

(For reference, I had a problem months ago on these devices with KOReader following an update that changed the brightness control. Everything became very slow. I switched to previous versions and the problem persisted. I finally performed a factory reset and reinstalled KOReader and everything went back to normal. The operation now is similar to any other device where I have KOReader installed).

Edited:

In any case, I want to clarify that I do not find Tolino Reader slow when changing pages. I don't like it for other reasons.

Last edited by cellaris; 01-25-2021 at 12:14 PM.
cellaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:13 PM   #15
galora1992

honestly I like this reader. but if there is no way out, I will return it. I am a bit surprised that the inkbook prime HD costs half as much as the Tolino and has a 4-core processor, not a single-core as in Tolino; (which costs 2 times more. maybe there are some fonts that take up space? maybe some compression? magic settings that will allow you to browse faster?

Tags
faster pages, faster reading, slow page turn