Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-24-2020, 03:08 AM   #1
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Are there power charger spec limits?

I've recently gotten a power outlet USB charger adapter that is 5V/3A.

I know the T2 came with a 5V/1A adapter. Does the extra amperage pose a danger or does the reader only draw what it needs?

I've seen different explanations on the net with regard to different devices, but it would be nice to be sure.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
5V/3A will work no problem with your T2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I asked this question on an electronics forum on reddit and the answer was that only the voltage matters. The higher amps mean that the device can use more of the electricity (meaning charge more quickly), if it's capable of it, but it's not a problem.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Years ago I had someone at Radio Shack (if you remember those) tell me the opposite. That an adapter's amperage was more important than voltage. For example a device that runs on 8 D-batteries, which should be 12V can run just fine on 10V if the amperage is high enough. Maybe lower voltage is fine since batteries lose voltage over time, but higher is dangerous?

What is troubling is that the adapter has a list something like this:
5V : 3A
7.5V : 2A
15V : 1A

From a wattage standpoint that makes sense since Power (Watts) = Voltage x Current.
But does that mean a reader drawing 1A is getting 15V? That seems like an issue.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Years ago I had someone at Radio Shack (if you remember those) tell me the opposite. That an adapter's amperage was more important than voltage. For example a device that runs on 8 D-batteries, which should be 12V can run just fine on 10V if the amperage is high enough. Maybe lower voltage is fine since batteries lose voltage over time, but higher is dangerous?

What is troubling is that the adapter has a list something like this:
5V : 3A
7.5V : 2A
15V : 1A

From a wattage standpoint that makes sense since Power (Watts) = Voltage x Current.
But does that mean a reader drawing 1A is getting 15V? That seems like an issue.
USB specs are 5V, 500mA.

More voltage might kill your device (allowed voltages are usually from 4.x to 5.x but better safe than sorry)

More current won't kill your device because it is your device the one that draws current.

If the adapter comes with a knob to change voltage then it is regulable by the user and will use the voltage you setup. If not and it is a "normal" mains to usb adapter you'll get 5v (up to 3A) unless the power circuit of the device you're going to charge negotiates for more voltage.

In all the cases the specs of your charger is: xV (up to yA) and the one that decides the amperage is your device, not your charger.

Sorry about my english
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2020, 05:28 AM   #6
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
No charger is ever 5V, high amperage ones can easily go over 26V.

I think Sony series is 5V/500mA.

While no device ever lets the charger charge directly the batteries (thus a misnomer ), for safety reasons, using a much much higher amperage charger would destroy the electronics in the Sony if it's not provided with safety measures against higher voltages.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
DoctorM
Groupie

Tested this for the first time yesterday. The charge icon came up, but when I returned the unit had not charges and I got a pop-up saying that.
I didn't have time to see if it was a cable issue or what, so I just plugged directly into my PC and charged off the port.
I'll try again later, but I wonder if the T2 stopped the charge to protect itself.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:33 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
A trick I used with my PRS-505 when it was dead was to charge it a few hours, unplug it and then power it up. Once it had booted, I would plug it in to charge fully. For safety, the current to a powered down device is very low. It takes a long time to charge in that state. Booting it up allows the hardware to negotiate a higher current during charging, speeding up the process.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:45 AM   #9
DoctorM
Groupie

The PRS-T1 & 2 readers boot up when you connect power to them.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:02 PM   #10
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I was talking about the situation where the battery has no charge and can't even boot the device. If yours can boot up but does not hold a charge, then the battery probably needs to be replaced.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #11
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Tested this for the first time yesterday. The charge icon came up, but when I returned the unit had not charges and I got a pop-up saying that.
There is a thread here about which cables work with Sonies.
These are very picky units.
I have a few Sony cellphones and all three T series, and I don't remember which charger is which and mixed up with others, cables and chargers, Samsung, Nokia, Panasonic, nonames etc. Some work, some don't. Some can only charge, some do both.

I think the "true" 3A chargers have a recognition resistor (it's in the device) so it knows that the device can accept 0.5, 1, 2, 2.1 or 3A. It may be that cheap chargers do not react to this and pump all the juice, raising the voltage if the device resists the amperage.

Anyway, it's always better to charge with a lower amperage than with full, even if it takes longer. What are nights for?
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote