Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-24-2018, 12:38 PM   #1
Futuregrace
Zealot
Futuregrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterFuturegrace can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, iPad Pro 11, Voyage
Amber hue for night reading

Is there a reason neither kindle app or iBooks does offer an amber/orange hue for reading at night? Is it worthless using LED screens?
Futuregrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
Is there a reason neither kindle app or iBooks does offer an amber/orange hue for reading at night? Is it worthless using LED screens?
I cannot think of any good reasons they wouldn't offer this, but neither Amazon nor Apple seem too interested in giving us formatting options we ask for.

If you are using a newer iOS then there is the Night Shift option located in:

Settings-->Display & Brightness-->Night Shift

Night Shift shifts the colors on your iPhone/iPad to the warmer side of the color spectrum during the hours you specify. Amber is a warmer color, BTW. Night Shift works for all apps as it makes the screen warmer for every screen and app. It works really well for me when reading at night, and for every task I do on my iThingies at night. It is adjustable too.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-24-2018 at 01:08 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2018, 04:00 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I would also recommend checking out Night Shift: you can adjust the degree of orangeness. If Kindle (or Apple Books) had an ‘orange’ theme that you could not adjust, it would not work well.

That said, I use Black theme pretty much all of the time in reading apps as an antidote to what would otherwise be more or less unrelenting white backgrounds that are in common use on computer screens for some reason.

macOS Mojave introduces Dark theme and as soon as I updated, I turned that on. Love it!
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuregrace View Post
Personally, I don't think apps should do this these days. IMO, it is the responsibility of the OS to do this on a global basis, and most modern OSs do.

If the OS your device uses can't be updated to a reasonably current one then look into 3rd party addins that may be available for your older OS.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #5
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
... I use Black theme pretty much all of the time in reading apps as an antidote to what would otherwise be more or less unrelenting white backgrounds that are in common use on computer screens for some reason....
I never thought about this before, but my first DOS computers, including the first true personal computer I ever owned the Apple II+, had a black screen with green text. There were no window backgrounds in the DOS world or on the main frame terminals I used at IBM in the early 1980s because we only had monochrome monitors and support. I think the first time I saw a colored screen was on my first Mac, a Mac SE in 1985, and it was actually greyscale rather than color. Later additions of DOS supported color monitors but it was up to the app developers to set the colors. When Windows came out it used the white background on screens just like Apple did with the Macs. Apple said they were attempting to make the screen look like paper with ink lettering for text, so that is perhaps why they went with white backgrounds and black text.

Last edited by OtinG; 09-25-2018 at 02:33 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
F.lux is one of the more common OS widgets for this.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:31 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
F.lux is one of the more common OS widgets for this.
Both Windows and macOS have implemented color shifting natively. F.lux is not needed except maybe on Linux and older older versions of Windows/macOS etc.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote