Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil > Plugins

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 01:57 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonatus View Post
as I said, I wanted to look if the plugin shows a different behaviour, and - is it not allowed to be curious?
@Davifor: I made the experience that for example fonts that I had added in the epub (and there showed correctly) did not show on the device after converting the epub to kepub under Calibre. But this was a time ago, and things might have changed meanwhile. I'll give it a try once more, now that all deny my own experience.
I don't remember any time that the kepub output plugin would have stripped fonts unless you selected the options to do so. And these are not on the plugins page, but the common pages of the options.

Apart from JSWolf and jackie_w's suggestions, I have seen one other problem. The plugin wraps the text in a couple of div's to match how purchased kepubs are built. This "broke" the stylesheet I used for a set of books as the specificity of some styles didn't work when the paragraph was inside the div's. It was easy to fix in the stylesheet.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 02:27 AM   #17
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I don't remember any time that the kepub output plugin would have stripped fonts unless you selected the options to do so. And these are not on the plugins page, but the common pages of the options.
Hm, just for fun, I tried it out yesterday evening with a book that I had edited as epub, converting it by using the Kepub output plugin in Calibre. And it happend the same as I was used to: The extra font I had added for headings and special <p> classes vanished, turning the text into bold (headings) resp. nothing happened in relation to the assigned <p> classes.
No hyphenation at all. I don't know if I could use JSWolf's plugin, for I need a german hyphenation dictionary, besides reading french and english, and I don't know how to edit such a dictionary (didn't try it yet). The hyphenation dictionary I had used before was implemented the way Jgoguen had recommended, but in my case, it rendered a lot of totally wrong hyphens, so I desisted at last.
Leonatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2017, 05:29 AM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hm, just for fun, I tried it out yesterday evening with a book that I had edited as epub, converting it by using the Kepub output plugin in Calibre. And it happend the same as I was used to: The extra font I had added for headings and special <p> classes vanished, turning the text into bold (headings) resp. nothing happened in relation to the assigned <p> classes.
That shouldn't be happening. Unless you have configured the conversion to do that. And that is in the other pages of the conversion options and is the same as for an epub. I have done some conversions to kepub recently and when I open the books and look at the code, they have exactly what I expect. I can't see anywhere that a style has been removed. The tend to be renamed, but the definition is the same. I can't quickly find anything with embedded fonts, so I can't test that. I'll have to hunt through my books for something.

It might be a bug, but I suspect that I would need to see your book to test properly. If it is something I can grab quickly, I'll do it. Or. you could use the ScrambleEbook plugin and generate something that can be posted.
Quote:
No hyphenation at all. I don't know if I could use JSWolf's plugin, for I need a german hyphenation dictionary, besides reading french and english, and I don't know how to edit such a dictionary (didn't try it yet). The hyphenation dictionary I had used before was implemented the way Jgoguen had recommended, but in my case, it rendered a lot of totally wrong hyphens, so I desisted at last.
I don't use the hyphenation options. I usually read ragged-right and don't see much hyphenation. How good or bad the hyphenation dictionaries are don't worry me.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:23 AM   #19
Leonatus
Wizard
Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leonatus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As this used to occur continuously to me - and as far as I remember even on two computers -, I'll quickly download a book at Gutenberg's, assign some passages to my font and send you a Dropbox-link. I don't think it's a bug, but, on the other hand, I don't even know where and how to manipulate the plugin not to show added fonts.
Whereas hyphenation is essential to me, as I like to read my texts justified, and detest the gaps between words, beeing create by the lack of hyphenation.
Thank you for your readiness to help, by the way (another time)!
Old 01-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I have had a look at the books you sent the link for and loaded them on my Aura H2O and Touch. The fonts seem to be loading correctly and the styles seem to be working. I have attached screenshots to show this. The screenshots are of the title page. This has a lot of formatting and and several lines using your font. There is one each of the epub and kepub on the Touch, and the kepub on the Aura H2O.

Looking at the screenshots from the Touch, there are differences, but the formatting seems to be there and the font is in use. Flicking through the rest of the book, I can't see any other problems

What is missing, is the italics for your font. These show in the calibre viewer and editor, but not on the device. The only reason I can see for that is that I don't think the font includes italics. I assume the renderer used by calibre has the ability to produce the italics but the device doesn't. Either that, or I have the italic version on my laptop, but I can't see it.

Now, I started doing this with the Aura H2O and went to the Touch after checking what device you had. There shouldn't be any differences, but I had to check. When I first opened it the Touch, your fonts didn't show. But, I had been using Georgia as the selected font. When I changed it to "Publisher Default", it was used. This is what I expected. Are you selecting "Publisher Default" when reading the book?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AuraH2O-kepub-Letters-TitlePage.png
Views:	399
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	154143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Touch-epub-Letters-TitlePage.png
Views:	396
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	154144   Click image for larger version

Name:	Touch-kepub-Letters-TitlePage.png
Views:	374
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	154145  
Advert
Old 01-13-2017, 02:31 AM   #21
Leonatus
Wizard

Thank you for testing!
Indeed, the font I use ist missing italics (there is only the standard version for free).
And no, I didn't choose the "Publisher default" font. I recently had added to the device Amazon's "bookerly" font and use it as standard, but with other fonts I had used before, such as "Georgia", the result was as you described. This evening, I'll check it out, perhaps once more with a german book to check the hyphenation behaviour again. Strange only that my font also vanishes when I add the book to the "My Digital Editions" folder and read it on the Kobo desktop.
Of your screenshots, the font appears in the first and third one, in the headings. Does it also appear in the <p> classes, that I had assigned the font to?

Edit: I just see that in the second image, the font appears as well, but only in the subheadings, not at the author's name.

Last edited by Leonatus; 01-13-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:34 AM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thank you for testing!
Indeed, the font I use ist missing italics (there is only the standard version for free).
And no, I didn't choose the "Publisher default" font. I recently had added to the device Amazon's "bookerly" font and use it as standard, but with other fonts I had used before, such as "Georgia", the result was as you described. This evening, I'll check it out, perhaps once more with a german book to check the hyphenation behaviour again.
OK, then I suspect it is working as designed. Selecting a specific font on the device overrides all fonts specified in the book.
Quote:
Strange only that my font also vanishes when I add the book to the "My Digital Editions" folder and read it on the Kobo desktop.
Sorry, but there is a contradiction there. The "My Digital Editions" folder is for ADE. The Kobo desktop doesn't look there. It has it's own directory with books in it. But, as far as I can tell, the Kobo Desktop doesn't let you add books. It seems to only show books downloaded from the Kobo server.
Quote:
Of your screenshots, the font appears in the first and third one, in the headings. Does it also appear in the <p> classes, that I had assigned the font to?
The only styles that specifies the font are "h2", ".center" and ".tbcenter". There are no h2's on that page. The "By the author of" uses a p with ".center" and "BOSTON" is a pa with ".tbcenter". These styles are working on other pages.
Quote:
Edit: I just see that in the second image, the font appears as well, but only in the subheadings, not at the author's name.
The author name is bold tags with an class specifying italics. My guess is that the Adobe RMSDK renderer is using bold italics in a different font because these are not available in the specified font. That's what the second image, Touch-epub-Letters-TitlePage.png, shows. The renderer used for kepubs seems to have decided in favour of the font over italics for the same text.

The other difference between the renderers is what jackie_w mentioned. For kepubs, all fonts in the book are overridden when you select a specific font on the device. For epubs, only some of the fonts are overriden. And as jackie_w mentioned, there is a patch to change this behaviour.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:11 AM   #23
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry, but there is a contradiction there. The "My Digital Editions" folder is for ADE. The Kobo desktop doesn't look there. It has it's own directory with books in it. But, as far as I can tell, the Kobo Desktop doesn't let you add books. It seems to only show books downloaded from the Kobo server.
This surprises me: In fact, Kobo desktop does integrate books that are added to the "My Digital Editions" folder in the "Documents" directory under Windows, as I proceeded this way, and the book appeared in my library, even with the device not connected. I know that the mentioned folder is by Adobe, but where should Kobo's own directory reside?

Quote:
The only styles that specifies the font are "h2", ".center" and ".tbcenter". There are no h2's on that page. The "By the author of" uses a p with ".center" and "BOSTON" is a pa with ".tbcenter". These styles are working on other pages.
This referrs to the tags that I have assigned the font (it's name is: FoglihtenNo07) to.

Quote:
The other difference between the renderers is what jackie_w mentioned. For kepubs, all fonts in the book are overridden when you select a specific font on the device. For epubs, only some of the fonts are overriden. And as jackie_w mentioned, there is a patch to change this behaviour.
c̶̶a̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶e̶̶l̶̶l̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶h̶̶e̶̶r̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶i̶̶n̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶a̶̶t̶̶c̶̶h̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶f̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶e̶̶c̶̶e̶̶s̶̶s̶̶a̶̶r̶̶y̶̶?̶̶ ̶
Sorry, I just see it! I had first overseen this post, as well as JSWolf's hint relating to the chosen font on the device. I apologize and thank all for the help!

Last edited by Leonatus; 01-13-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #24
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This surprises me: In fact, Kobo desktop does integrate books that are added to the "My Digital Editions" folder in the "Documents" directory under Windows, as I proceeded this way, and the book appeared in my library, even with the device not connected. I know that the mentioned folder is by Adobe, but where should Kobo's own directory reside?
That's not happening here. The books that are in the "My Digital Editions" are also in the Kobo Desktop, but they get there in different ways. The books in the Kobo desktop are downloaded from the Kobo server. I also download the epub version which, if it has DRM, will be downloaded by ADE. I can manually add books to the ADE directory, but they aren't appearing in the Kobo Desktop.

Assuming you are on Windows, the directory is %LOCALAPPDATA%\Local\Kobo\Kobo Desktop Edition.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:41 AM   #25
Leonatus
Wizard

In the Kobo desktop, there is, above at the right border, kind of an ordered list icon. I needed to click there before the book(s) I had in the "Digital Collections" folder. Would you try this?
I can confirm that, in the "publisher default" mode, my font appears properly. I had, before, applied jackie_w's patch.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 AM   #26
Leonatus
Wizard

I have to correct myself: I have only inserted the recommended css code, but not applied the patcher istself. As my device runs under FW 3.19.5761, the patcher itself seems not to be applicabel in my case.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:53 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have to correct myself: I have only inserted the recommended css code, but not applied the patcher istself. As my device runs under FW 3.19.5761, the patcher itself seems not to be applicabel in my case.
There are a full set of patches for 3.19.5761. You just have to find the relevant thread.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #28
Leonatus
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are a full set of patches for 3.19.5761. You just have to find the relevant thread.
There are times in my life that I feel myself quite stupid.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is the link to the patches for 3.19.5761. Just don't apply these patches to any other firmware version and the Kobo has to be running this version as well.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=269574
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:54 AM   #30
Leonatus
Wizard

Thank you! Against all expectation I found the thread by myself, and the implementation seems to work. Now, I'm looking for a book in german to convert to kepub, but now the converting plugin shows errors. I already asked jgoguen.
Today seems a day where nothing goes alright at once.

Tags
kepub, kobo, sigil plugin