Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Hrant
Polymath in training
Hrant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (Global)
2.5.?

I downloaded and installed the 2.5 upgrade from Amazon.com, but it's stuck on 2.5.2, and I've seen talk of higher versions. How/why should I get the newer updates?

hhp
Hrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
2.5.3 on k2i (and possibly DX/DXi) & 2.5.4/2.5.6 on K2US are whispernet only updates. (2.5.5 OOB for the DXg)

But the 2.5.3 & 2.5.6 updates don't actually do anything useful, so it's no biggie .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Hrant
Polymath in training
Hrant began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (Global)
Sure they're useful - they support the incomes of the wonderful Kindle programmers! ;-)

hhp
Hrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #4
arvsinha
Intrepid Explorer
arvsinha began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrant View Post
Sure they're useful - they support the incomes of the wonderful Kindle programmers! ;-)

hhp
arvsinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
2.5.3 on k2i (and possibly DX/DXi) & 2.5.4/2.5.6 on K2US are whispernet only updates. (2.5.5 OOB for the DXg)

But the 2.5.3 & 2.5.6 updates don't actually do anything useful, so it's no biggie .
NiLuJe:

Out of curiosity what has been determined as the issues addressed by say the 2.5.3 update? Or does it seem as if they are more build specific updates rather than anything else? I am stuck on 2.5.2 and it's no big deal just I always like to stay current as well as know why or why not I get or don't get an update.

Also, it's somewhat disconcerting to see so many firmware versions. To me it feels like there are hardware variations which depend on the production run...nothing new there all companies have those issues but most keep all of their same version devices on the same FW versions probably just to keep the OCD side of customers at ease.

Just curious if nothing else about what might or might not be known at this microsecond...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
When I said it does nothing, I *really* mean nothing 'useful'. It litterally just updates the version tag & OTA build number, and does some obscure stuff with a component of the java framework (Journal), which has, AFAICT, no visible impact for the user.

That's the case both with the 2.5.3 update for k2i & 2.5.6 for k2us.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
When I said it does nothing, I *really* mean nothing 'useful'. It litterally just updates the version tag & OTA build number, and does some obscure stuff with a component of the java framework (Journal), which has, AFAICT, no visible impact for the user.

That's the case both with the 2.5.3 update for k2i & 2.5.6 for k2us.
interesting and thanks for the description...nothing like an mfg adding more mud to the already murky waters....oh, well, as long as I can read, who cares, right? sorta....
Old 08-04-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Official update page:

http://amazon.com/gp/help/customer/d...324680&#manual

This is the software update v2.5.4 for Kindle DX US:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...e_dx_2.5.4.bin
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
brecklundin
Banned

you can now d/l v2.5.4 for the K2i at meem's link, or near by... , in the post above as well...
Old 08-05-2010, 01:47 AM   #10
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I don't understand what do you mean, but if you have another version of Kindle just download a suitable update file from official page:

http://amazon.com/gp/help/customer/d...324680&#manual
meem is offline   Reply With Quote