Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 03:12 AM   #1
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
PRS-505 for $279 - too much?

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...629bbb6324en02

What do you guys think? Is this too much money for the PRS-505 if I can have the 600 for 20 bux more.... but I would love to have a better display.....
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Depends. I wouldn't buy a 600 because I don't like touch screens, both in appearance and durability (they just don't get along well with french fries). I love my 505; if it dies, I'll be hunting down another 505.

So it's up to you, but I wouldn't make "only $20 more" a factor in the decision. Get the one that has the features you want. Over the lifetime of the device, the price isn't going to matter all that much either way.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for advice.
Another question. Is it really worth paying $100 more for 505 compared to 300, which has a smaller screen but the same resolution....
Old 04-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Everyone has to make the decision if it will do what you want it to do. A few dollars doesn't make a difference in the long run, if you are happy with your choice.

I have had my 505 for 16 months with no problems and it does exactly what I need it to do. It fits my needs perfectly. If something happened to my 505, I would want to find another 505.

There are a lot of posts about the 300 vs the 505 and from what I understand, the clarity is the same and screen is a bit smaller. check this thread and this thread.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm with the others here. I don't want any other reader than the Sony 505. It does exactly what I want, the way I want, when I want, and the battery lasts as long as I'd ever need a reader battery to last. I DO NOT want a touch screen or a key board. If my reader broke, I'd be searching for another 505. Pure 'brand and model loyalty!'

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I didn't realise others felt as strongly as I do about the 505. If mine gives up the ghost, I'll be hunting for another 505 ... unless something that fits my simple needs even better comes along in the future (I can't imagine what that might be; certainly nothing in the current choice range). Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd seriously suggest looking at other brands. Things have seriously moved on in the eBook reader market since the release of the 505, and there are many more significantly better devices available. The BeBook Neo (aka Onyx Boox 60) is my personal favourite at present.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrasher View Post
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...629bbb6324en02

What do you guys think? Is this too much money for the PRS-505 if I can have the 600 for 20 bux more.... but I would love to have a better display.....

I don't think it's too much, but you might pick up a good used one on the Flea Market thread of MR cheaper.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Since 505 is a really popular model but it's not produced anymore, the remaining stock is going up in price. So no, $279 is not much, I'd say it's a very good price if it's new.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #10
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd seriously suggest looking at other brands. Things have seriously moved on in the eBook reader market since the release of the 505, and there are many more significantly better devices available. The BeBook Neo (aka Onyx Boox 60) is my personal favourite at present.
Harry, would you tell us 'why' you prefer it? Or what you think make the newer models better than our fav, the 505? Your information in the past has always been quite accurate and I'd appreciate your views.

Stitchawl
Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Harry, would you tell us 'why' you prefer it? Or what you think make the newer models better than our fav, the 505? Your information in the past has always been quite accurate and I'd appreciate your views.

Stitchawl
Simply because it offers far more facilities. The Wacom touch screen gives you all the benefits of a touch screen without the loss of image quality that the 600 and 900 suffer from; it has a full folder-based file system, meaning that you can store an effectively unlimited number of books (and doesn't have the "library scan" that effectively limits the book numbers of Sony devices); it has text highlighting, searching, and dictionary lookup (like the 600 and 900), and it has the latest version of the ADE software built in, meaning much better rendering of ePub and PDF files. With its WiFi, and support for the latest Adobe "over the air" delivery, you can buy books from pretty much any ePub bookstore.

Also, unlike Sony, it's receiving frequent firmware updates, and has a development team who are genuinely responsive to user feedback and new feature requests.

I just think it's an all-round better machine. I've had mine for two months now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Thanks, Harry. It does certainly have a lot more features than the 505. Personally, I wouldn't need any of them, but I'm sure a lot of folks would.

I suppose I'd really like to see a whole bunch of e-book readers side by side. I've only seen my 505 and one older Kindle. I had never seen any before I received my Sony. I ordered it because of information I got here in MobileRead at the time. It would be great the have a 'hands on' side-by-side exploration of the devices. I wonder if there is anywhere that this sort of thing might be possible? I would find that a justifiable excuse to travel abroad! I don't know if my wife would find it just as justifiable, but she's a good egg. She'd go along with the idea!

Stitchawl
Old 04-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #13
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I've had my 505 for a little more than a year until I upgraded to the 600 (for pdf handling reasons). Comparing the 300 and 505 at the price point you mentioned, I would go for the 300 allthough I liked my 505. But 279 just sounds too much.

Like others mentioned, look out for other brands, too, if it doesn't really have to be a Sony.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #14
Thrasher
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The reason I am thinking of buying a Sony is because it's easily available locally and I am getting a $100 Future Shop gift card that I could use towards my purchase. It also saves me the hassle of buying from an "un-reputable" online seller.

I was looking at Onyx Boox 60 but I could not find any in stock. It seems that only these guys have it in stock: http://ebooksreader.com/ebooksreader...Web_Store.html But the price $339 seems kidn of steep considering Sony PRS-900 with a larger screen is sold for $349.

How would you compare the Onyx Boox 60 to the PRS-900?
Old 04-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm a simple soul. The 'improvements' and 'enhancements' mentioned seem more like complications to me. No offence meant to those who appreciate the bells and whistles, but I just want to read a book. That's all. Dunce that I am, I've never even considered new firmware and stuff like that. I guess I'm one of an already dying breed ... the old fashioned ebook reader. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote